The Student Room Group

PGCE secondary maths anyone

I am applying for this course, but my degree is Natural Sciences. My maths modules were calculus, multivariable calculus, algebra 1 & 2, group theory, representation theory, mechanics, probability/stats and maths for scientists.
I will apply for direct entry, but may be advised to do the SKE first.
If anyone has previously applied with similar maths courses, could they let me know if they had to do the SKE please.
Thanks.
Original post by Matureb
I am applying for this course, but my degree is Natural Sciences. My maths modules were calculus, multivariable calculus, algebra 1 & 2, group theory, representation theory, mechanics, probability/stats and maths for scientists.
I will apply for direct entry, but may be advised to do the SKE first.
If anyone has previously applied with similar maths courses, could they let me know if they had to do the SKE please.
Thanks.

You shouldn't need to do the SKE. That would be absolutely ridiculous. If it is recommended then they are simply trying to make money from you.
Reply 2
Thanks MrM. I got mixed messages at the Traintoteach roadshow, with one London uni maths rep saying that he would expect me to do the SKE. Others said maybe.
I forgot to add analysis and complex analysis to my modules.
Original post by Matureb
one London uni maths rep saying that he would expect me to do the SKE.

As I suggested. Interested in the £££.
Original post by Mr M
As I suggested. Interested in the £££.

hey, is mathematics secondary teaching rewarding? :smile: I am in school and would consider a career in teaching mathematics :smile:
Original post by upthegunners
hey, is mathematics secondary teaching rewarding? :smile: I am in school and would consider a career in teaching mathematics :smile:

It is considered bad form to hijack threads for your own purposes.

The money is pretty good, the holidays are excellent and I find it more varied and interesting than my previous career in finance. It can be gruelling in term time though.
Reply 6
Mr M. Another uni suggesting I need the SKE, but possibly only a 2 week quickie.
At the London roadshow I also spoke to Hibernia college about doing a correspondence SKE/Pgce from May this year. Do you know if this is highly regarded? I do think that I would benefit from a proper university though.
Thanks for your replies. I wold give rep, but it will not let me yet.
Original post by Matureb
Mr M. Another uni suggesting I need the SKE, but possibly only a 2 week quickie.
At the London roadshow I also spoke to Hibernia college about doing a correspondence SKE/Pgce from May this year. Do you know if this is highly regarded? I do think that I would benefit from a proper university though.
Thanks for your replies. I wold give rep, but it will not let me yet.

2 week quickie would be ok. It would refresh your A Level subject knowledge.

No-one has any sort of opinion on the SKE. It won't be of any interest to schools as they won't know you have done it unless you tell them. I wouldn't expect them to know what one is anyway. It is just a hoop some people need to jump through. For example I know someone with a degree in Fine Art and no mathematics A Level who did one. It really isn't aimed at someone like you.
Reply 8
Thanks again for your time. I didn`t think that my maths would not be enough. But I would have been prepared to go a full SKE if it would make me a better teacher. I imagine A level has changed slightly since my year were guinea pigs for SMP. Yes, I am even older than you.
I am looking at the short course SKEs now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending