The Student Room Group

The cost of studying in the UK

Why is it that in the UK, the English have to inherit the full loan. Take Scotland and Wales for example. Scotland currently get a higher education free of charge. Wales also get heavily subsidised tuition loans. Yet because you live East or South of the border you have to agree to pay the full amount back if you can within 30 years, essentially an additional tax. Now surely if Westminster say that they can't afford to subsidise English students then how is it that Wales and Scotland can afford to subsidise their student population? There argument doesn't really make sense. English students are being taken for a long indebted ride!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by add4
Why is it that in the UK, the English have to inherit the full loan. Take Scotland and Wales for example. Scotland currently get a higher education free of charge. Wales also get heavily subsidised tuition loans. Yet because you live East or South of the border you have to agree to pay the full amount back if you can within 30 years, essentially an additional tax. Now surely if Westminster say that they can't afford to subsidise English students then how is it that Wales and Scotland can afford to subsidise their student population? There argument doesn't really make sense. English students are being taken for a long indebted ride!

Not only this, any member of the EU can go to a Scottish uni for free, barring the English! It essentially comes down to the fact that spending on students is a power devolved to the Scottish Parliament and they don't like the British very much so they decide to make us the only ones to pay - it will be really fun if they gain independence though when they get cut off from all funding.
Please bare in mind that a recent study found 9/10 Scottish households rely on the state, with over 25% working in the public sector - they are an absolute drain on the English economy as their contribution is virtyally 0 in the grand scheme - let them go and good riddance, we will be way better off.
Sorry to go off point :tongue:
Reply 2
At least we aren't America, where tuition fees alone can run up to $70,000+ per year at certain universities
Reply 3
Original post by bertstare
At least we aren't America, where tuition fees alone can run up to $70,000+ per year at certain universities

Although at said Universities the level of education and experience is much better than here :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by christanmu
Although at said Universities the level of education and experience is much better than here :frown:

Yes but the majority of these expensive unis you can go to free of charge as they offer generous bursaries etc. If your family income is below 42 k you can go to Harvard free of charge with the uni paying to help you in every way I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by add4
Yes but the majority of these expensive unis you can go to free of charge as they offer generous bursaries etc. If your family income is below 42 k you can go to Harvard free of charge with the uni paying to help you in every way I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a few people studying in US. And most university students in US pay a lot more than us though and have to take out larger private bank loans with steeper conditions and rates of interest than SFE.
Reply 6
Original post by Trip506
I know a few people studying in US. And most university students in US pay a lot more than us though and have to take out larger private bank loans with steeper conditions and rates of interest than SFE.

And a lot of people also get scholarships.. I have several friends going to play football (English) over there next year on 100% scholarships!
Reply 7
Original post by christanmu
And a lot of people also get scholarships.. I have several friends going to play football (English) over there next year on 100% scholarships!

A scholarship for playing football?
Reply 8
Original post by Trip506
A scholarship for playing football?

Yeah you would be suprised, they offer huge scholarships to sports players/talented musicians/actors etc as if they make it, it looks really good on the College.

Most College sports teams play in NFL teams stadiums or lend their stadium to professional sports teams (for example, the Arizona Cardinals play in the 70000 seater stadium belonging to Arizona State University). College teams regularly get larger crowds that all of the Premier League football teams barring Manchester United.. It is big business over there!

:frown: I wish I lived in America/Hadn't torn my hamstrings when I played for county and so could have got a scholarship!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending