The Student Room Group

This is probably a really easy question...

I have spent 20 minutes trying to work this out (needless to say, I am not studying anything even remotely related to maths).

last year my assignments were worth 10, 20, 20, 30, 10 (credits). 90 credits in total (placement made up the extra 30 or whatever).

This year assignments are worth 20, 30, 20, 10 (placement made up the remaining 40)

last year was worth 40% of our final grade, and this year is worth 60%

comparing two of the 10 credit assignments, what is the difference in weighting ie. Last year my last assignment was worth 10 credits, what is that compared to this year's 10 credit assignment?
Reply 1
Let's consider the total - I'll convert them into "standardised credits" of which you'll end up with 1000, which are year-by-year comparable.
First year: the assignments were worth 4/10 of the total, and this was 120 credits, so the first year is 400 standardised credits.
Second year: 120 credits making 6/10 of the total, so the second year is 600 standard credits.
Hence the 10-credit assignment in the first year is worth 1/12 of the total first-year standardised credits, and hence is 400/12 = 100/3 = 33.3 standardised credits.
The 10-credit assignment in the second year is worth 1/12 of the total second-year standardised credits, and hence is 600/12 = 50 standardised credits.
So two 10-credit assignments in the second year would give you the same as three 10-credit assignments in the first year, for example.
(If you're stuck on how to work something out, put them into concrete numbers that you can compare.)
Reply 2
10 credits last year was worth 8% overall. 10 credits this year is worth 12% overall. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I've just realised how thick I've been. Thanks guys
Reply 4
Original post by mathswiz:)
10 credits last year was worth 8% overall. 10 credits this year is worth 12% overall. :smile:

Actually ignore that, it's 3.33% and 5% respectively :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest