The Student Room Group

My first experience of alcohol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you wanna try an alcoholic drink that doesn't actually taste like alcohol, try peach schnapps and Irn Bru or raspberry vodka and lemonade :smile:

It doesn't taste like booze at all so you drink it like juice and before you know it, you have drank enough to get drunk lol
Well I'm 19, I'm boring, and I don't drink or smoke.
Reply 22
Smoking is much worse for your health than drinking in moderation, look up the risks.
Kids, never drink 4 Loko
Original post by HumanSupremacist
The "taste" argument is an old one. Smoking's even worse for you than moderate alcohol drinking is. Sure, both are poisons, but tobacco is worse and is more addictive.

Just put up with the taste (that is, if you are going to drink)! I've learnt to put up with just drinking straight vodka - there's nothing to it!

If you have to "put up" with the taste than why not put up with not drinking at all? If there's anything we should put up with I think that should be the main one, but anyways it's your opinion, of course I don't judge but I don't understand this concept :s-smilie: maybe it will just take time I don't know.

Original post by ranbow99
Tbh when I first tried drinks like wine, cider, and some spirits I hated the taste, but it grows on you. It took me a good few years to like the taste of wine, I thought I would never like it, but one day I tried an amazing rose wine and that was it.

I don't see how smoking is better though, at least alcohol can taste nice, I can't see how cigarettes can taste nice and the smell sticks to your clothes, hair etc. :s-smilie:

Anyway, everyone has different tastes, but considering how popular alcohol is in the world, it can't be that bad to a lot of people :wink:

Cigarrettes have a much better taste that alcohol, something you can get used to easily, and they won't leave you with a hangover, the thing is cigarettes are one of the best kind of stress-relievers, I understand the risks but if you had to choose surely it wouldn't be something you have to put up with or get used to? (Not saying this doesn't apply to smoking.)

Original post by alexmagpie
As with anything, tolerance increases - if you become a seasoned smoker then one puff certainly will not do that (you'll stop getting a nicotine rush and just need the nicotine because your body is addicted). Most of the smokers I know want to quit.

Also, a nicotine rush is a very temporary feeling compared to alcohol.

I totally support freedom of choice and you can smoke if you wish, just don't be misled by thinking that it's healthier than moderate drinking and you'll always get that rush straight away - it isn't and you won't.

Wow I didn't know that, I always thought smoking had a better affect than alcohol.
Original post by emilie18
Most people drink alcohol to get drunk :dontknow:
Personally, I drink when I go out to let loose a bit, relax and dance etc. It makes me more confidant and chatty which is fun. Try vodka and coke instead of juice, it tastes better. It'll probably take you a little while to find the drinks you like the taste of - don't assume all alcohol is rubbish because your first experience wasn't great! And to be fair, you're only 16. You will probably appreciate it more when you're older and can go out into town etc. :smile:

I don't only drink to get drunk (and when I say drunk, I don't mean drink-til-I-throw-up drunk. :yucky:I mean just a few drinks) - sometimes it's nice to curl up with a glass of wine and some chocolate, watch a film with a friend. Socially it's a nice thing to do, every now and again.

An occasional drink won't ruin your liver :smile: - smoking will do FAR more damage!

It really frustrates me when people say smoking is a "stress-reliever". It is not. The relaxed feeling smokers get when they smoke a cigarette is the result of nicotine addiction. Regular smokers need to smoke to reduce the tension (i.e. stress) caused by withdrawal symptoms they experience in between cigarettes. Smoking has been proven to make stress worse, not better. The relaxed feeling smokers get is simply the cravings for nicotine being satisfied.

/rant.

Thanks, I didn't know that, this changes my views on smoking, will definitely NEVER try that :colondollar:
Original post by TeeJayyJayy
Well I'm 19, I'm boring, and I don't drink or smoke.

I'd rate that but I've reached my limit :frown:
Original post by Ezekiella
Smoking is much worse for your health than drinking in moderation, look up the risks.

Er, for your information I did? I wasn't talking about the risks in this matter. Go back to my first comment okay?
Original post by SexiestNameEver
If you have to "put up" with the taste than why not put up with not drinking at all? If there's anything we should put up with I think that should be the main one, but anyways it's your opinion, of course I don't judge but I don't understand this concept :s-smilie: maybe it will just take time I don't know.

I don't understand - what would you have people do? You're saying that people should smoke instead of drink?
Reply 27

Cigarrettes have a much better taste that alcohol, something you can get used to easily, and they won't leave you with a hangover, the thing is cigarettes are one of the best kind of stress-relievers, I understand the risks but if you had to choose surely it wouldn't be something you have to put up with or get used to? (Not saying this doesn't apply to smoking.)

Not for me, I hate the taste of cigarettes :yucky: Plus I would rather be inside in the warmth with a drink than outside in the freezing cold smoking. But each to their own :dontknow:

And you don't have to get a hangover when you drink, if you don't drink a lot then you'll be fine. If you do end up drinking a lot then just drink water inbetween drinks and have a good meal before hand.

I don't think it's a case of getting used to, your tastes just change as you get older, for me anyway.
Reply 28
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Lots of ways to mask the taste. Try a sweet energy drink with a nice (not cheap) spirit.

Or try a sweet strawberry cider or perry.

Or learn to love apple cider/beer/wine

..mmm strawberry cider. i want some now!
Trying one type of alcohol and immediately denying any redeeming qualities is like sampling venison, disliking it and deciding this makes all other food taste awful.

Vodka on its own is vile, disgusting even. But unless your name is Vladimir and you own a 2-acre farm in Siberia, it's not really meant to be taken straight! Try it with something like cranberry juice or pomegranate juice, they mask it so much better. Vodka isn't generally taken for its taste, its drunk because it's neutral, flavourless and is less likely to produce a hangover than some other drinks.

Quite simply you have to also appreciate that there's a huge variety of different alcohols. And even when you get to single categories like wine there is a massive discrepancy in taste there. You generally get rosé, white and red. Rosé in my experienced tends to be fruitier and a big of a "beginner" drink whilst white can be acidic, fruity, dry, sweet etc. Red is the powerhouse of wine and personally the most difficult to acquire a taste for since it is full of tannins which can make it quite heavy. And a bad white is much superior to a bad red.

However even within these three categories you have a phenomenal amount of variance. I usually drink white wine, but there are some grape groups I don't have a very good opinion of. Chardonnay tends to be very undeveloped to me and often just well, unpleasant whilst my personal favourite, Sauvignon Blanc is delicious if you can find the right bottle, with wild and grassy flavours and gooseberry.

The thing is, that's not even it. I could quite easily mention country of origin and year of production too. So you see, it's really quite irrational to try vodka and immediately decide you dislike alcohol since there's a gargantuan amount of other options to try. :smile:
I'd rate that but I've reached my limit :frown:

Good rate, or bad rate?
Not that I'm fussed either way. I'm just interested to know. :P
Reply 31
I did have vodka mixed with juice and it still tasted horrible. One puff can make a person feel so good and it actually depends on how depressed they are, 40 or more can easily transform a person into a completely happy one and truly most people would die for that.

Did you honestly just claim that smoking can cure depression?

That is so, so so so SO SO wrong.
Only socially akward losers drink

It must be sad that you have to drink in order to feel confident
Reply 33
Original post by SarahWorksout

herp

99% of students are awkward
Reply 34
It really doesn't taste that bad. I don't like lager or straight vodka (seriously, you're not meant to drink that stuff for the taste you know), but there are plenty of ciders that taste genuinely nice, and it's a lot easier to drink more when you're already a bit drunk (which is why people often end up getting smashed and throwing up... it's like an accelerator). Alcopops pretty much taste like non-alcoholic drinks, although I don't drink them personally.

I'm surprised it's such a ~mystery~ to non-drinkers why people drink, especially people who have never actually been drunk. It's quite fun. Especially when you're with a group of people who know how to have fun. Being very slightly drunk provides you with a pleasant effect without really damaging your health much, and drinking more than that is risky but sometimes it really pays off. It's a lot easier to make friends you've had a few drinks because you become more carefree, more confident and less judgemental, and people usually appreciate that. Sometimes you become a loud annoying **** and do things you regret - swings and roundabouts.
Reply 35
Original post by SarahWorksout

How has this blatantly obvious troll not been banned yet?

I know a grand total of zero socially successful people who think they're above drinking alcohol.
It grows on you very quickly- generally not long after you turn 18 and consumption sky rockets.
I must say, it hasn't really done much for me when I've drunk it. I can't really see why my friends think they've got to get plastered just to have a good time when I'm perfectly happy sat in front of the TV.
Alcohol is a great social lubricant, especially when meeting new people but never feel you need to get wrecked one or two drinks is enough to just put you slightly more at ease, but still in full control of yourself. I'd advise against starting drinking with spirits or at least be careful when mixing them down, you don't want your first memories of drinking alcohol socially to be throwing up all evening. Start off on beer or cider (or wine if can afford it/want to drink awful wine), I didn't like beer the first time I tried it (mainly because it was warm) and now I have firmly developed taste. But cider is an easier transition if you are used to sweet soft drinks and has a similar alcohol content.

The easiest drink to start off on is Koppaberg (its pear cider and it tastes pretty good) and mostly popular with 15-16 year olds, I find it too sweet but loads of my friends like it and its a good drink to start drinking socially.
quite an interesting thread, i've always had the same question in mind, i'm 18 and never properly had alcohol, i've had sips of wine before and irish cream and that's been it, i thought wine tasted disgusting but anytime my parents get some i get a fizzy drink or juice and put like two drops in and find the smell still strong!

irish cream on the other hand kinda tastes nice although it still has that distinct after-taste. was saying i'll try some alcohol when i turn 18 so i need to do that, although i still can't completely see what people like about it so much, i'm also too worried that if i end up liking it then one day i'll get drunk and have the issue of not being able to control my actions and then who knows what will happen.

Quick Reply

Latest