The Student Room Group

Psychology student, experience in health care

Hi. I'm 31 years and I'm finishing my degree in psychology (BSc single honours) soon. I reached the point that I don't know what to do with the degree. I know psychology is a very competitive field, and I'm not in my 20s. However I have been working whilst I studied, I have worked as support worker, helping people with different mental issues, I have 5 years working in this field. I was wondering if this experience is a good background for the degree when I apply to a job In the future or a master.
Do you know what field of psychology you want to work in? For some of the masters work experience isn’t needed, but for jobs then 100% your work background will be very impressive. I’m almost finished with my undergrad in psychology, though I have 0 work experience in anything related and it’s been a struggle trying to find anything that will accept no experience :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by Dave9114
Hi. I'm 31 years and I'm finishing my degree in psychology (BSc single honours) soon. I reached the point that I don't know what to do with the degree. I know psychology is a very competitive field, and I'm not in my 20s. However I have been working whilst I studied, I have worked as support worker, helping people with different mental issues, I have 5 years working in this field. I was wondering if this experience is a good background for the degree when I apply to a job In the future or a master.

Hi! I also finished my psychology degree aged 31 and went on to do an PGCert in Psychological Therapies, trained as a counsellor and am now half way through training as a High Intensity CBT Therapist through IAPT. I initially wanted to pursue the Clinical Psychology doctorate, but I've decided to go more into psychotherapy as it's what I enjoy most. There are loads of options once you have the BSc and a bit of experience (as you already do!). My first role after working in support worker roles was as a recovery worker in a drug and alcohol service, and that was great experience!
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol
Hi! I also finished my psychology degree aged 31 and went on to do an PGCert in Psychological Therapies, trained as a counsellor and am now half way through training as a High Intensity CBT Therapist through IAPT. I initially wanted to pursue the Clinical Psychology doctorate, but I've decided to go more into psychotherapy as it's what I enjoy most. There are loads of options once you have the BSc and a bit of experience (as you already do!). My first role after working in support worker roles was as a recovery worker in a drug and alcohol service, and that was great experience!

Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience. Is good to know about this stories, some comments about psychology degree and options could be a nightmare. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest