The Student Room Group

HELP ?! ##?? - Chances of MFE Oxford

Hi There, what are my chances of getting into the

MFE Oxford Program Next Year???

Degree: Management - St Andrews
GPA: First Class Honours 75% - Top 5-10% of Class
Exchange: South Africa for 1 year
Modules: Highest Scores not in Finance, but Strategy Modules, Finance and Economics all v high 2.1 or First.
References: very good reference letter from MD from on Trading Desk of Tier 1 IB, and from Econ Prof.

School GPA: 90%+ Top of the class

Internships:
Tier 1 IB - EQ Derivatives Trading London (2 summers in a row)
Tier 3 IB - Sales & Trading in France (2 summers in a row)

Extra Advantages: Member of the University Squash Team at St Andrews. Minority Nationality: South African.

Languages: Portuguese, French, English and Italian.

GMAT still to go: but approx 720-710...

Has anyone done the MFE, or been accepted lately - what are my chances to get in ?

Cheers,

Alberto
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
anyone ?
I got in with no internships, so I'd say you may be in a good spot. I would say that you have more than a decent shot at an interview.

It all boils down to the interview, where the interviewer submits a report saying if he/she recommends you. There's some option to type in comments for the interviewer too. So if the interviewer strongly recommends you, you are pretty much set. It is a technical interview where the interviewer tests almost everything related to economics / finance / accounting so be prepared to solve mathematical problems and to answer theoretical questions.

I got in with possibly worse stats than you but aced the interview so it all depends.

Pretty sure the GMAT thing is a threshold value requirement, meet it and forget about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the swift reply

A. Is everyone being interviewed?
B. what do you mean by may be in a good spot but I have more than a decent shot at the interview? Do you mean I will have chance to get an interview, an may receive a place, or do you mean my profile will get me spot ?!
C. What are your exact stats?
D. i didnt score extremly high in finance courses, nor have I had econometrics courses in my ugrad, but overall in the top5% is that a problem?
E. I have taken a statistics and calculus course at another institution and I have a a certificate, will ox accept that ? I couldn't take the courses at uni because I didn't meet the prerequisites.
E. My first year did not count towards my degree, it won't show in my transcript right? Nor will Oxford require a transcript right ?
Many questions hehe thanks for helping

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending