The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UMARTIAN
The Cabinet question was god awful :frown:

You're not alone. Although I don't study that particular unit, I didn't have enough time to finish my health and wealth essay, therefore the most I can achieve is a 7/15 without a conclusion. :frown: I'm praying to God that my DME and other (not spectacular) essays can pull my grade up to an A.
Original post by StupidMaths
hahahaha i think we are the same person-all of that happened to me!

i was for it. yourself?

Haha I left all my revision until the last minute so I got two hours of sleep last night and woke up at four this morning to cram some more essays in. I did not even time to revise DMEs or anything else. However it was worth it because all the essays which I revised came up! It could have been worse if I decided to get some sleep :P. I will probably go to bed in a few hours after a hot chocolate :smile:.

Except from the DME, the rest was pretty good. I couldn't have asked for better essay questions if I am being honest. Which essays did you answer?
At least I won't ever need to learn about government policies and voting systems ever again in my life.:tongue:
I don't actually think boundaries will go up THAT much, if at all, fingers crossed anyway!
Original post by Scrabble96
Okay :smile: what determines a C or a B grade essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well examiners mark essays holistically. Everything is taken into account. If you are clear and concise and don't waffle then you will get at least a high B grade on your essay. Up to date examples and good analysis helps too!

And if you answered the question and have not turned around an answer then you should get an A. There should be at least 3 main points to your essay, perhaps 4 if you can write fast. And I kept my intro and conclusion to 2 sentences max to save time. I am sure that you have done okay if you worked hard ^_^.

I guess a C grade essay would be one that does not get to grips with the main point of the question and has little examples and analysis. One that has a very weak structure and line of thought.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
You're not alone. Although I don't study that particular unit, I didn't have enough time to finish my health and wealth essay, therefore the most I can achieve is a 7/15 without a conclusion. :frown: I'm praying to God that my DME and other (not spectacular) essays can pull my grade up to an A.

I'm hoping my USA and Africa essay pull up my politics and social issues.
The social issues questions on lifestyles was a total gift. All you had to use was common sense to be honest!
THANK GOD THATS FINISHED

managed to get all the essays finished, however my Immigrant influence on voting was a bit dodgy. can anyone tell me if they did similar in that they spoke about:

Blacks high majority allowed for obama to win giving statistics
however white voter turn out in corilation with population much higher, Kerry vs bush examples + they don't vote alot in states with no black reps (7)

hispanics ; Decide elections in swing states, parties spend millions advertising in hispanic so they feel they are influencial
locial level has non existant influence' + 14 states with no hispanic rep sees low turning and they don't influence many states bar swing states.

my asian and native american bit was brief, not alot to talk about!

The DME was hard to link Sources to C sources i found, managed 3 for and 2 against but it seems i had to bend statistics to fit source A Material in the for section. didn't use one of the sources either :angry: questions also weren't too bad, though Q2 took a bit of searching.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1628
Well that could have been a lot worse... All the essay questions were great but I'm not too sure about what I've written, I hope it at least makes sense! I also managed to finish all my essays which was a plus!

That DME though. I don't think it went too well, my background knowledge wasn't great and I babbled on quite a bit... I hope it doesn't effect my overall grade too much.

Also, thanks to everyone in this thread who answered questions or gave notes/essay plans! It was a huge help :-)
(edited 10 years ago)
For the DME also, was the PASS policiy aimed at stopping people smoking publically and this would hopefully drive down levels of smoking in that it would inconvienience alot of people? did some ammount of waffeling.
Original post by xoJennyox
I think you fail if you don't use all the sources...sorry :s-smilie:.

you loose a mark?
Anyone know the cut offs for a b?
Original post by Mrocks101101

An A is usually 63/90, although it has gone as low as 61 from 2008-2012 and 62 a few times. I very much doubt that it would go higher than 63 though.
Original post by JackoGeddes
you loose a mark?

You probably fail. I was told this.
Original post by Mrocks101101

Between 54 and 62 is a B I think.
anyone got any ideas on how that cabinet essay shouldhave been done?
Original post by JackoGeddes
you loose a mark?

Is that all? I hope so, thank god.
Reply 1637
Original post by xoJennyox
You probably fail. I was told this.

I highly doubt that. Worse that will happen is a small deduction in marks
I feel like I rushed AMS vs FPTP. I don't think it made any sense haha. My other essays went okay I think!
Decision Making in Central Government: Cabinet? Eh what?? Remembered more than I thought I would, but don't think I had enough balance.

Electoral Reform: Fine, had to miss out a few things to stay within the time limit though.

Lifestyle on Health: Jackpot! :biggrin: I actually said "Yasss!" when I saw it :colondollar:

Politics of Development on Africa: Conflict? Well done the person who predicted that one, because I never would have guessed it would be that. Glad I had a conflict paragraph to do with the UN and NGOs, so I just adapted that to fit, but think that essay was only ok.

DME: Really pleased with how that went, did four arguments for and three against, and got quite a few bits of BK in it.

Overall just glad it's over, and now onto History :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending