The Student Room Group

Student Finance PGCE

Hello!

Haven't really posted on TSR since A levels but basically I want to do a social science PGCE after my three year BSc Psychology degree (university of bristol) and want to know if its possible to use my fourth year of student finance to fund this?

Sorry if its a stupid question! Any advice re funding would be great, thanks!
Original post by Pheebs1201
Hello!

Haven't really posted on TSR since A levels but basically I want to do a social science PGCE after my three year BSc Psychology degree (university of bristol) and want to know if its possible to use my fourth year of student finance to fund this?

Sorry if its a stupid question! Any advice re funding would be great, thanks!

Yes, you will be able to apply for student finance for your PGCE in the same way as your undergraduate degree. The fees will be the same as an undergrad course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by myblueheaven339
Yes, you will be able to apply for student finance for your PGCE in the same way as your undergraduate degree. The fees will be the same as an undergrad course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi, do you know how we apply for student finance? (i am starting a primary pgce in september). I am currently getting student finance for my undergrad degree finishing this year. Do we have to apply again because its a different course/level, or do we just alter the details on our current student finance?

Reply 3
Original post by myblueheaven339

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Original post by pocket!
hi, do you know how we apply for student finance? (i am starting a primary pgce in september). I am currently getting student finance for my undergrad degree finishing this year. Do we have to apply again because its a different course/level, or do we just alter the details on our current student finance?

Technically you apply as a new student because its a new course. However they will be able to pull through a lot if your information from your previous application and it should be a fairly quick and easy process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello

I need a 'heads up' on what finance I will be eligible for. I have been accepted on to the new School Direct (not salaried) route and will get a PGCE (11-18) in the process.

The subject I will teach means that I am not eligible for any of the bursaries, as it is not a priority subject.

This means I am hoping that the direct.gov finance will be available to me.

1. I have a BA degree and an MA already. Does my MA mean that I won't be eligible to get a loan to cover the £9K fees? (Even though I did not receive one penny from the state to do my MA and totally self-financed it).

2. Will I be able to get a maintenance loan and maintenance grant?

3. Is there any other finance out there that I may be able to access in any form ... loans, grants, anything...

It will be galling to have to turn the opportunity down. I want to get a 'heads up' before applying to direct.gov and know how the land lies.

Any help gratefully received!
Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Scruff the cat
Hello

I need a 'heads up' on what finance I will be eligible for. I have been accepted on to the new School Direct (not salaried) route and will get a PGCE (11-18) in the process.

The subject I will teach means that I am not eligible for any of the bursaries, as it is not a priority subject.

This means I am hoping that the direct.gov finance will be available to me.

1. I have a BA degree and an MA already. Does my MA mean that I won't be eligible to get a loan to cover the £9K fees? (Even though I did not receive one penny from the state to do my MA and totally self-financed it).

2. Will I be able to get a maintenance loan and maintenance grant?

3. Is there any other finance out there that I may be able to access in any form ... loans, grants, anything...

It will be galling to have to turn the opportunity down. I want to get a 'heads up' before applying to direct.gov and know how the land lies.

Any help gratefully received!
Thanks

You can get student finance for a PGCE regardless of whatever previous qualifications you have.

I've got a BA and an MA as well, and I've been approved for the full-whack: tuition fee, maintenance & grant.

However, I'm undertaking a full-time PGCE at a university. In your situation it would depend on which institution was providing the PGCE, and if you're counted as being enrolled as a full-time student.

The best thing to do would be to apply anyway; the online application process asks you eligibility questions to start with.

If it turns out you can't get student finance, you could always try a Career Development Loan, but the deal isn't as good as a student loan, so save that for a last option.
(edited 11 years ago)
Re- my earlier post (2 above!)

That's really helpful - thank you!

It is the School Direct route (unsalaried) with the school that selected me in partnership with Warwick University as the providers. It is certainly full-time! I'll be doing 4 days in school and 1 at uni. I hope I'll be eligible for the whole lot like you are!

Also - my offer is conditional but I have logged in to the university website and accepted the offer. The only conditions that I need to meet are CRB and occupational health check - both of which will come absolutely fine. Can I apply for finance now, or do I need to wait until these conditions have been formally met?

I'm looking forward to the course so much but am finding this side of things confusing, stressful and just difficult to get definitive answers. I suppose I should just 'man up' and get the application in but having this foresight is really helpful, so any more info anyone had will be much appreciated!

Good luck with your PGCE :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Scruff the cat
Re- my earlier post (2 above!)

That's really helpful - thank you!

It is the School Direct route (unsalaried) with the school that selected me in partnership with Warwick University as the providers. It is certainly full-time! I'll be doing 4 days in school and 1 at uni. I hope I'll be eligible for the whole lot like you are!

Also - my offer is conditional but I have logged in to the university website and accepted the offer. The only conditions that I need to meet are CRB and occupational health check - both of which will come absolutely fine. Can I apply for finance now, or do I need to wait until these conditions have been formally met?

I'm looking forward to the course so much but am finding this side of things confusing, stressful and just difficult to get definitive answers. I suppose I should just 'man up' and get the application in but having this foresight is really helpful, so any more info anyone had will be much appreciated!

Good luck with your PGCE :biggrin:

It's just like undergraduate finance: you apply when you've got a conditional offer. I applied for mine last month (and was approved), and the forms for my occupational health check and DBS only came through yesterday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending