The Student Room Group

Living abroad teaching in China for two years.

Hello, I have been working as a teacher in China since July 2021. I plan on coming back to the uk to complete a pgce in September 2024. I am a british citizen. Would I be able to apply for student finance? I have seen online it states that you need to have lived in England for 3 years before your course, I have also seen people write if you are able to show you was outside of the uk temporarily then you would be eligible, in my passport are one year work visas, I’ve had to get new visas each year is this sufficient? I’ve also seen that the pgce course is an exemption course and that it does not follow these regulations is that true? The pgce course is one year long and I don’t already have qts
Original post by Scary
Hello, I have been working as a teacher in China since July 2021. I plan on coming back to the uk to complete a pgce in September 2024. I am a british citizen. Would I be able to apply for student finance? I have seen online it states that you need to have lived in England for 3 years before your course, I have also seen people write if you are able to show you was outside of the uk temporarily then you would be eligible, in my passport are one year work visas, I’ve had to get new visas each year is this sufficient? I’ve also seen that the pgce course is an exemption course and that it does not follow these regulations is that true? The pgce course is one year long and I don’t already have qts

Hi Scary,

You would normally need to reside in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course. If you can explain your temporary residency abroad with evidence, then you may be eligible. As it is reviewed on a case by case basis, it is best to provide all of the evidence that you have that you think shows that you were only there temporarily, this can be visas, temporary accommodation, employment etc. This evidence can be uploaded to your account for review. Our current timescales for residency evidence are approximately 13 working days, with subject to change depending on our current volumes.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Hi Claire thank you for your response. I will be able to provide all of this information. Am I able to apply for student finance before accepting a place on a course or would I need to have accepted a place before applying?
Original post by Scary
Hi Claire thank you for your response. I will be able to provide all of this information. Am I able to apply for student finance before accepting a place on a course or would I need to have accepted a place before applying?

Hi there, the applications will go live for 24/25 in the spring of next year. You can always make an application once they go live and then change or cancel this should your university or circumstances change. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending