The Student Room Group

Warwick or UCL for Maths: current students' experiences.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Prepotency
Well, Warwick did score a perfect 100.00 score for employment in the QS World University Rankings (and got voted the most targeted university in the UK by the top employers) and got ranked the 3rd best 'under 50 year old' university in the world.

So it doesn't do too badly...

PS: I'm firming Warwick :tongue:

Part of what made me firm UCL was that I live in the town of Warwick, and tbh wanted to try living somewhere new ^^.
Reply 21
Original post by Prepotency
Well, Warwick did score a perfect 100.00 score for employment in the QS World University Rankings (and got voted the most targeted university in the UK by the top employers) and got ranked the 3rd best 'under 50 year old' university in the world.

So it doesn't do too badly...

PS: I'm firming Warwick :tongue:

Its not doing to badly. Its actually doing very well in Maths. But as far as I know thats about it. When you consider it on the whole, worldwide on a general list. Its usually in the early 100s. Whilst UCL is atleast top 25 even top 5 in some. If you plan to stay in the UK then its good. I'm not sure about working abroad though.
Reply 22
wow the things you get negged for on TSR.
Reply 23
HA seriously, what loser keeps negging me. Anyway neg me for this if you want *******s. I've firmed Warwick and Insuranced UCL.
Reply 24
Original post by jarasta
HA seriously, what loser keeps negging me. Anyway neg me for this if you want *******s. I've firmed Warwick and Insuranced UCL.

What made you go for Warwick in the end?
My experience with the UCL Maths Department is very good. Although I've only had 1-2 modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Eljamaispa
My experience with the UCL Maths Department is very good. Although I've only had 1-2 modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good to hear :smile:. What in particular made it good?
Original post by leo99756
That's good to hear :smile:. What in particular made it good?

Very happy to meet up outside of lectures and help you out or I often scanned my working and emailed it and they'd provide feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
What made you go for Warwick in the end?

Well because I realised that I really really really would like get into academia as a mathematician, although UCL isn't bad, Warwick's greater module choice will allow me to learn more maths than I would maybe get to learn at UCL and since its a hard course, it should really challenge me and help me improve as a mathematician. SO I chose Warwick purely for the maths disregarding everything else.

I can attest to what the other guy said about the UCL department. They are really great, after the offer holders open day, I emailed one of the lecturers about his mini introductory lecture just asking a question and answering a question he kind set for us to think, he replied back lengthily and gave me another problem etc and gave me his email if I ever wanted to talk to him about whatever, which I thought was really awesome considering I'm not even a student at UCL!
Reply 29
Original post by jarasta
Well because I realised that I really really really would like get into academia as a mathematician, although UCL isn't bad, Warwick's greater module choice will allow me to learn more maths than I would maybe get to learn at UCL and since its a hard course, it should really challenge me and help me improve as a mathematician. SO I chose Warwick purely for the maths disregarding everything else.

I can attest to what the other guy said about the UCL department. They are really great, after the offer holders open day, I emailed one of the lecturers about his mini introductory lecture just asking a question and answering a question he kind set for us to think, he replied back lengthily and gave me another problem etc and gave me his email if I ever wanted to talk to him about whatever, which I thought was really awesome considering I'm not even a student at UCL!

I'm sure that Warwick is great if you want to go into further study. Good news about UCL's maths department, I was worried about it since there isn't much information online as to past students' experiences but I am confident that I made the right choice now.

Part of what dissuaded me from firming Warwick was that I live in the town of Warwick, and don't really want to spend my uni years basically at home pretty much ^^.
I'm sure that Warwick is great if you want to go into further study. Good news about UCL's maths department, I was worried about it since there isn't much information online as to past students' experiences but I am confident that I made the right choice now.

Part of what dissuaded me from firming Warwick was that I live in the town of Warwick, and don't really want to spend my uni years basically at home pretty much ^^.

Very few students go to Warwick town more than once, if ever!
Reply 31
Original post by crunchychips
Very few students go to Warwick town more than once, if ever!

I was more talking about how I've seen almost all of the surrounding areas already, so not much would be new in that regard.
Reply 32

You have nothing to be worried about I'm sure of it :smile:
On the off chance that anyone here is still active. I'm currwntly facing the same dilemma, with choosing between UCL and Warwick maths for very similar reasons to OP. Wondering if anyone with there experience of UCL or Warwick maths could help me make a decision.
Hi mate, I’m currently at Warwick studying maths. I went to the UCL offer holders’ day when deciding which university to firm. Personally, I think the Warwick maths department is better in most ways. The facilities are a lot better and in general I preferred the feel of a campus compared to being in central London. However, one thing I would say is choose the area you think you’lol be happiest in. If you want a buzzing city life with everything just around the corner then opt for UCL. When it comes to careers events and interviews, you’ll find it much easier being in London. There are pros and cons to both, just take the time to visit both places and then make a decision. I’m happy to answer any questions, just pm me.

Quick Reply

Latest