The Student Room Group

Why do British people have 2 taps instead of 1 mixed?

Poll

Which do you prefer?

I've been wondering for a while.
I find it a bit unpractical. I can get either boiling hot or freezing cold water.
So what is the point of having 2 taps instead of 1 mixed? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I still wonder why British people would only want to wipe their ass with a tissue and not use a bidet? :confused:

Edit: So I am assuming everyone who gave me a negative rating has a dirty arse covered in ****? :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Wick3d
I still wonder why British people would only want to wipe their ass with a tissue and not use a bidet? :confused:

My Italian family have bidets in their bathrooms but they don't use it to wipe their arse anyway?
Reply 3
Original post by BayHarborButcher
My Italian family have bidets in their bathrooms but they don't use it to wipe their arse anyway?

So what do they use it for? :tongue:

I don't mind there not being bidets, I didn't have one at home either.

Original post by LeonVII
Erm, having lived in Britain all my life I find it fairly normal, one for cold and one for hot!

You wouldnt have unisex toilets or changing rooms would you? :rolleyes:

It's something different. :biggrin:
I wouldn't mind unisex toilets. Changing rooms? Maybe a bit more.
Reply 4
who wants to drink water that isn't cold:confused: and washing your hands in warm water kills more bacteria.
Reply 5
Original post by Shabalala
who wants to drink water that isn't cold:confused: and washing your hands in warm water kills more bacteria.

I thought soap is supposed to do it. :smile:
When you have a mixed tap, you turn it and you get hot water. You can get warm water. You can get cold water.
It's so much more convenient. :tongue:
Reply 6
Because we were ahead of the revolution. We pretty much invented indoor plumbing and taps, but did so before heating really existed. Therefore, we had a cold tap.

When we got around to figuring out hot water as well, we simply added a tap. It's something that then became a tradition, really.
Well, I don't often want mixed water. I normally only want cold water.

EDIT: And seconded about the industrial revolution. We had cold water before hot water from a tap was possible.
Reply 8
Umm... We don't have 2 separate taps anywhere in the house.

And as far as I can remember, I am indeed British.
Original post by purplemind
So what do they use it for? :tongue:

I don't mind there not being bidets, I didn't have one at home either.

It's something different. :biggrin:
I wouldn't mind unisex toilets. Changing rooms? Maybe a bit more.

They use it to wash their feet after the beach so the sand doesn't block the shower drains :P
Original post by purplemind
I've been wondering for a while.
I find it a bit unpractical. I can get either boiling hot or freezing cold water.
So what is the point of having 2 taps instead of 1 mixed? :biggrin:

Hmm in the kitchen, our taps are mixed, in the shower, it's based on temperature, and in our bathroom, it is two taps. And you can just open the cold tap in the kitchen if you really want to

That's been the case in most places I've been to as well?
Reply 11
Original post by Rybee

You are also, however, in the minority. It is still much more common for there to be 2 taps.

There is also a piece of British legislation regarding the safety of water that is to be drunk that makes a single tap a bit more complicated. Therefore separate taps is the cheap and easy option.

Spoiler

Lol that's a funny observation. Well I'm British and we only have mixer taps, bathroom and kitchen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
You are also, however, in the minority. It is still much more common for there to be 2 taps.

I honestly find that weird. For a bath I completely understand 2 taps... for a bathroom sink I could possibly understand 2 taps but I much prefer 1 tap sinks.

How many taps do people have for their kitchen sink? Surely it's just 1!?

Original post by rainbowsxyz
Lol that's a funny observation. Well I'm British and we only have mixer taps, bathroom and kitchen

Alas, another normal human being!
Tbf, I think they do a similar thing in Pakistan, but that was a British colony, so that might be the reason for doing so
Original post by Rybee

We only have mixer taps :smile: It tends to only be older bathrooms etc that aren't mixer taps now.

And I think everywhere started off with separate taps.
Reply 16
This thread calls for a poll!
Reply 17
It's one of those weird things that seems completely normal because you're used to it, until someone points out how little sense it makes. What are the advantages to having two separate taps instead of a mixer tap? I really can't think of any.

Another thing is how most front doors have two locks, one of which allows you to lock people in. Apparently most other countries do it differently.
Reply 18
I've 2 taps in all of my sinks. Personally i prefer the mixer taps, it just doesn't bother me enough to want a new sink :colondollar:
We have a mix between taps which you turn to hot or cold, and two separate taps in my house. I'm guessing that the newer taps are only one.

Perhaps a system to change between hot and cold water flows wasn't invented until relatively recently and nobody had the money to change every tap in Britain? I dunno, maybe we're just too hipster for mixer taps.

Quick Reply

Latest