The Student Room Group

Am I being treated differently or I’m just sensitive?

Being a mixed-race person and studying in the UK, I’ve found it challenging to be friends with the locals. I’ve asked my mixed-race/ international friends who study in the UK too if they feel the same way, and they agree. It also sparked a local English schoolmate to write about this for her EPQ too because she interviewed us, so I guess it shows that it’s a reoccurring problem.

I’ve recently join this placement where most people are local British people, including another student who’s there too. I noticed that I’m being treated differently when comparing myself to the British student. Such as that they help her a lot more, talk with her a lot more, whereas I do get help too but not as often as she gets. And most of the time when I’m speaking to them I don’t feel included and often times brushed off. The British student was there around 3 months longer than me, so maybe that’s why most people are more talkative with her. I noticed this when I asked the person something and just brushed me off in 2-3 words, whereas the British student asked the same thing after and had a full conversation with the person. I feel really left out.
I remember the first week being there was fine, I was being included in conversations and getting to know everyone, but it slowly died down.

Being in the UK for 3 years led me to realise the way we communicate is very different. Such as some things we don’t find funny are funny to them and vice versa, same for perception of offensive things/ perception of how to care for others.

Basically I just find it hard to fit in with the British community even though I’m half British myself but never really lived in the UK until these recent 3 years. I really do try hard to spark up conversations and to fit in, but it’s not working. I’m only really friends with people who aren’t locals such as international or mixed-race people.

I perhaps haven’t come across a British person/ community that treat me like how they treat their local friends, but I do hope more British people notice this problem and try to be more inclusive with people outside their own circle. And I guess the same for every other countries not just the UK. It’s just heartbreaking.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Being a mixed-race person and studying in the UK, I’ve found it challenging to be friends with the locals. I’ve asked my mixed-race/ international friends who study in the UK too if they feel the same way, and they agree. It also sparked a local English schoolmate to write about this for her EPQ too because she interviewed us, so I guess it shows that it’s a reoccurring problem.

I’ve recently join this placement where most people are local British people, including another student who’s there too. I noticed that I’m being treated differently when comparing myself to the British student. Such as that they help her a lot more, talk with her a lot more, whereas I do get help too but not as often as she gets. And most of the time when I’m speaking to them I don’t feel included and often times brushed off. The British student was there around 3 months longer than me, so maybe that’s why most people are more talkative with her. I noticed this when I asked the person something and just brushed me off in 2-3 words, whereas the British student asked the same thing after and had a full conversation with the person. I feel really left out.
I remember the first week being there was fine, I was being included in conversations and getting to know everyone, but it slowly died down.

Being in the UK for 3 years led me to realise the way we communicate is very different. Such as some things we don’t find funny are funny to them and vice versa, same for perception of offensive things/ perception of how to care for others.

Basically I just find it hard to fit in with the British community even though I’m half British myself but never really lived in the UK until these recent 3 years. I really do try hard to spark up conversations and to fit in, but it’s not working. I’m only really friends with people who aren’t locals such as international or mixed-race people.

I perhaps haven’t come across a British person/ community that treat me like how they treat their local friends, but I do hope more British people notice this problem and try to be more inclusive with people outside their own circle. And I guess the same for every other countries not just the UK. It’s just heartbreaking.

Thanks for speaking up, because otherwise we probably wouldn't realise it. This deserves to be read by more people.
Reply 2
Some people are very cliquey at uni and work.
Whilst other individuals are quite reserved and take a long time to establish friendly relationships with positive & compatible people who share some of their interests.
Quite a few people only go to uni for study purposes and work to earn their pay packet, with no desire to have unnecessary chats & out of hours social involvement with fellow students or coworkers.

There are also plenty of people who have zero time for anything that is not motivated by a desire to advance their own ambitions, generally the academic or financial kind of ambitions.
These types are very opportunistic, they will generally only do favours or network with those individuals that they consider to be very useful to them.
Useful in terms of access to helpful introductions, assistance with their academic assignments, references, job offers, free accomodation, expensive gifts or loans.
They tend to base their assessment of how potentially useful an individual is to them based upon visual first impressions, research they have done over social media, grapevine comments about standard of living or family connections.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending