The Student Room Group

Thinking about self teaching for A Levels

I find it extremely stressful and difficult to go to school, I'm in Year 10 at the moment and my attendance is 29%. The thing is, I love learning but I have really bad fatigue and mental health so going to school is extremely stressful. I've been thinking about self teaching for my A-Levels because I find it a lot more comfortable being in a library and doing my own thing but I have absolutely no idea how or what to do. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by lyseden
I find it extremely stressful and difficult to go to school, I'm in Year 10 at the moment and my attendance is 29%. The thing is, I love learning but I have really bad fatigue and mental health so going to school is extremely stressful. I've been thinking about self teaching for my A-Levels because I find it a lot more comfortable being in a library and doing my own thing but I have absolutely no idea how or what to do. Any advice?

Before you jump straight onto A-Levels, have you considered self-teaching/being home-taught for your GCSEs? If it's that difficult for you to go to school (plus you have health reasons for this), it may be something you want to consider. By the time you reach the end of year 11, you may feel a lot better and want to go back into the mainstream. This being said, (and forgive me for being a tad personal) but are you getting medical help with your health issues?
Original post by laylarose
Before you jump straight onto A-Levels, have you considered self-teaching/being home-taught for your GCSEs? If it's that difficult for you to go to school (plus you have health reasons for this), it may be something you want to consider. By the time you reach the end of year 11, you may feel a lot better and want to go back into the mainstream. This being said, (and forgive me for being a tad personal) but are you getting medical help with your health issues?

I was homeschooled for a lot of secondary school but I enter Year 11 in a couple of weeks so it's far too late:-( also we can't afford it right now. And yeah but again, I have to miss a day a week off school just for my appointments :frown: Feels like a Catch 22!
Reply 3
Original post by lyseden
I was homeschooled for a lot of secondary school but I enter Year 11 in a couple of weeks so it's far too late:-( also we can't afford it right now. And yeah but again, I have to miss a day a week off school just for my appointments :frown: Feels like a Catch 22!

Ah, I see :frown: That is quite a pickle, I'm sorry. Do you feel that you're improving (in terms of health)?
Reply 4
I've been feeling similarly. I haven't got health issues- not that have been diagnosed, anyway- but so much of the time i feel like school just slows down my learning and depresses me...
Original post by laylarose
Ah, I see :frown: That is quite a pickle, I'm sorry. Do you feel that you're improving (in terms of health)?

I'm better than I was but it's mainly because of my mother so it's something that'll stay until I leave I suppose :')

Quick Reply

Latest