The Student Room Group

Can you study another a level during a gap year?

Would it be possible to study another a level during a gap year and in October (this year) apply for a course that requires that a level that you are doing in the gap year without an achieved or predicted grade in that subject?
Absolutely, though be warned it may be hard to get it on your reference if you're entirely self-studying it
Original post by melancollege
Absolutely, though be warned it may be hard to get it on your reference if you're entirely self-studying it

So they won’t care that I haven’t got a predicted grade in the subject that they are asking for? So let’s say I’ve got A*A*AA achieved but without an a level that they require, but I state that I’m studying currently (during my gap year and self-taught); they will allow that?
Original post by lanky_giraffe
So they won’t care that I haven’t got a predicted grade in the subject that they are asking for? So let’s say I’ve got A*A*AA achieved but without an a level that they require, but I state that I’m studying currently (during my gap year and self-taught); they will allow that?

I don't see why not - though it may be worth checking with the individual admissions departments.
What do you want to study and what A level are you missing?
Original post by Scotney
What do you want to study and what A level are you missing?

Chemical engineering + maths
I would definitely phone the relevant uni dept and ask.@McGinger and @PQ any thoughts?
Yes, although in your case you may want to look into foundation years instead as it might be more of a direct route.
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, although in your case you may want to look into foundation years instead as it might be more of a direct route.

Okay, thank you! But would It not be cheaper for me to self-teach myself a level maths during my gap year?
Would it be possible to study another a level during a gap year and in October (this year) apply for a course that requires that a level that you are doing in the gap year without an achieved or predicted grade in that subject?

Most Uni will accept A levels taken in separate years, and the decision about a predicted grade is decided by each Uni depending on your circumstances. You will need to check with each Uni before you apply and ask for their advice.
Original post by McGinger
Most Uni will accept A levels taken in separate years, and the decision about a predicted grade is decided by each Uni depending on your circumstances. You will need to check with each Uni before you apply and ask for their advice.

Okay, thank you.
Okay, thank you! But would It not be cheaper for me to self-teach myself a level maths during my gap year?

Depends, you may well end up paying more out of pocket if your centre charges exam fees for independent applicants. Also self-teaching yourself is a risky proposition. Doing a foundation year you'll get the usual tuition fee and maintenance loans, and that's pretty much neither here nor there - the cost isn't to you directly and the "debt" is pretty much a non-factor due to how SFE loans work. You can read more here about them: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/8-things-you-should-know-about-your-student-loan--2
Yes u can but it could b hard if ur trying to manage a full time job. Just depends what ur plan is for gap year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending