The Student Room Group

Statistics S1B 17/05/2013 Thread

I thought I would open a thread seeing as though it is less than a week away now! I am very confident in this exam and am offering any help or guidance needed. If anyone has the January exam paper and mark scheme then that would be greatly appreciative.

What are your thoughts on the exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
****ting bricks

Need at least a mid B to get A overall

Anyone got techniques at getting better at probability
Reply 2
Practice makes perfect I guess, just do a lot of examples questions and see where you went wrong, I often use a tree diagram to visualise it better!
Reply 3
Hi, I wonder is it better to do practice all the exercises in the text book first and past papers, or just go to straight to past paper and come back when there's doubt? Thx...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I prefer to go through all the exercises at the end of each chapter to help me revise then do the past papers and go back to anything I struggle with in more detail.
Reply 5
Why does statistics have to be so dull? :frown: And that's coming from a person who loves maths...

Seriously cannot wait for this exam to be over and done with!
Reply 6
But probably the most useful module in a level maths..
Reply 7
Original post by ollyhal
I prefer to go through all the exercises at the end of each chapter to help me revise then do the past papers and go back to anything I struggle with in more detail.

Alright, thx u !! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help with January 2012 question 6? I can't do probability for ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by andyt8765
Can anyone help with January 2012 question 6? I can't do probability for ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sure, give me 15 minutes.
Reply 10
These are my workings, I will explain in more detail when I get home in 20 minutes. Let me know what I can help with specifically?
Original post by ollyhal
These are my workings, I will explain in more detail when I get home in 20 minutes. Let me know what I can help with specifically?

That's brilliant, thanks very much. I can never seem to get the tables right.

Any tips on drawing them up would be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Well I normally just start with filling in the data I already know and just fill the gaps in from there!

This is what I start of with.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
when working things out like for the line of regression when working out A and B, have they ever asked to specifically work it out the long way rather than the calculator?
Reply 14
Original post by Welbeck
when working things out like for the line of regression when working out A and B, have they ever asked to specifically work it out the long way rather than the calculator?

Not that I have come across yet, but always good to know the equation just in case. I know they ask you to work out correlation using sxx , syy and sxy.
Reply 15
Original post by ollyhal
Not that I have come across yet, but always good to know the equation just in case. I know they ask you to work out correlation using sxx , syy and sxy.

ahh ok cheers mate, do you know any good websites for revision, or where they show the solutions to past papers?
Reply 16
Original post by Welbeck
ahh ok cheers mate, do you know any good websites for revision, or where they show the solutions to past papers?

The only revision site I know of is mymaths, not sure about past papers if you need any solutions/help for a question I can offer my assistance? Although mark schemes normally give a general solution to the answer.
Reply 17
Original post by ollyhal
The only revision site I know of is mymaths, not sure about past papers if you need any solutions/help for a question I can offer my assistance? Although mark schemes normally give a general solution to the answer.

Okay thanks if i ned help i will post here, did you take c1 and c2 a few days ago? How did you find them
Reply 18
Original post by Welbeck
Okay thanks if i ned help i will post here, did you take c1 and c2 a few days ago? How did you find them

Sorry I didn't do them I am only retaking s1 as I got a C last time. I am also doing fp2,fp3 and m2 if that is any help?
Reply 19
Original post by ollyhal
Sorry I didn't do them I am only retaking s1 as I got a C last time. I am also doing fp2,fp3 and m2 if that is any help?

Ahh ok.

I need some help with estimation and the unbiased estimator of the mean ect, would you be able to explain that? I know how the normal distribution works but when the standard error and stuff gets involved i don't really get it. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending