The Student Room Group

Thoughts on MSc Statistics courses at Leeds and Lancaster

Hi, I am an international currently a final year BSc Mathematics major in a university in my country. I am interested in applying MSc Statistics at either Leeds or Lancaster for 2024 intake, and I plan to submit my application during my final semester.

I would greatly appreciate hearing experiences or opinions from anyone who has completed their MSc Statistics at either of these unis. Any insights and experiences would be helpful for me in making decisions. (Note that Leeds uni does not have an application fee, which adds to my considerations).
Original post by ChikapomLasat
Hi, I am an international currently a final year BSc Mathematics major in a university in my country. I am interested in applying MSc Statistics at either Leeds or Lancaster for 2024 intake, and I plan to submit my application during my final semester.

I would greatly appreciate hearing experiences or opinions from anyone who has completed their MSc Statistics at either of these unis. Any insights and experiences would be helpful for me in making decisions. (Note that Leeds uni does not have an application fee, which adds to my considerations).

You need to apply to both. There's no decision to make until you have two offers.
Original post by ChikapomLasat

Hi there,

I am currently in my 4th year of an integrated masters in Mathematics and Statistics at Lancaster University. Many of my classes are with MSc Statistics students so I hope I can give some insight into the course. I would encourage you to apply to both and make the decision at a later date once you know the offer each have given you. Both are strong universities for statistics so either would be a good choice.

Lancaster is a campus university whereas Leeds is a city university. Personally, I prefer a campus university as it feels more safe and like a community. There is a variety of accommodation types and with being a campus university it means you are always relatively close to your lectures or the library which is normally open 24/7 during term time.

I have found the department to be very supportive during my time here. They are helpful with extensions and all the lecturers have an open door policy where you can ask them questions at any time as long as they are not teaching/ in meetings/ etc. Typically for each module you study you will have 3 or 4 lectures per week and a workshop where you work on questions in a smaller group. In addition, you may want to consider that Lancaster uses RStudio as the programming language which you may or may not be familiar with. I am not sure what Leeds uses.

There is also a large number of international students at Lancaster which may be encouraging for you. I would encourage you to look at online events that the universities offer to international students. For example, there is an online webinar on January 17th for prospective international students:
Why Lancaster? International Applicants, Wednesday 17 January, 1:00pm - Lancaster University

Please feel free to ask me any more questions. Or you can message current students from a variety of departments and background here:
Ask a Student - Lancaster University

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending