The Student Room Group

How are you supporting yourself/planning to support yourself whilst doing an access?

Hi Guys

I'm 28 this year and hoping to go back to college to complete an access to Healthcare course. To do this, I'll be giving up a full time job as an administrator. I suppose like most people I have little savings as I don't earn a great amount, I live with my partner in his house - he pays the mortgage and I contribute to the bills. We're not married and I don't rely on his income, but as my partner earns good money I doubt I'd be entitled to any funding or financial assistance.

When I start college I'm hoping to work weekends and evenings to at least pay my way a little and cover motoring costs and the other direct debits I'm sure we all have (phone, insurance etc) So I'm just wondering how everybody else manages to get through this - The way I'm working it out I probably won't have one day off a week but I'm so determined to do this.

Just wondering how everyone else manages?

x
Reply 1
I'm going to be dropping down from my full time hours at work to around 17 hours a week. I'm a little bit terrified about it to be honest, because I've been told the course is going to be intensive and I'm worried I'm going to overwork myself haha. Luckily my employer is being quite reasonable about it, and flexible, however I'm considering looking elsewhere because I only earn minimum wage and my job can be so stressful :frown: I can't work out whats better though, flexibility or money lol. I'm also doing work experience in a Primary school for one morning a week.

I'm really determined to do it but would love to hear other stories from members who have done the same. My college is a 3 hour round trip so I really need to be able to keep funding my car, and although I live at home because I can't afford to move out, my parents treat me like an adult and won't put my rent down for this haha. I considered moving closer to the college but it works out more expensive and I really didn't want to get rid of my car... It's so frustrating! I'm 22 btw :smile: The only funding I'm managing to get is £10 a week towards my fuel bill lol oh man :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Hi,
I have applied for a full time college course this year but at the moment i work full time
I am terrified of not having any money! I work full time with an ok wage just now but seem to find myself low on money :frown:
I am really unsure what ill do if i get a place at college and then on to uni - might just get a job in Tesco/Asda! haha
I am 25 and very lucky to be staying with my mum just now but my boyfriend and I are looking to get our own place...Talk about stressed! any words of advise would be great!
Reply 3
Original post by jojothejo
Hi Guys

I'm 28 this year and hoping to go back to college to complete an access to Healthcare course. To do this, I'll be giving up a full time job as an administrator. I suppose like most people I have little savings as I don't earn a great amount, I live with my partner in his house - he pays the mortgage and I contribute to the bills. We're not married and I don't rely on his income, but as my partner earns good money I doubt I'd be entitled to any funding or financial assistance.

When I start college I'm hoping to work weekends and evenings to at least pay my way a little and cover motoring costs and the other direct debits I'm sure we all have (phone, insurance etc) So I'm just wondering how everybody else manages to get through this - The way I'm working it out I probably won't have one day off a week but I'm so determined to do this.

Just wondering how everyone else manages

x

My mum did this and because my Dad had reasonable income she wasn't entitled to a great deal of help.
She changed her weekday work for weekends and worked nights occasionally and was tired most of the time when she was at home but somehow we got by and she's much better off for sticking with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm 28 and planning on going back to college to study access to health in september. I feel quite lucky compared to everyone else because although I'm in a bad situation, being a single mum, unemployed and relying on income support to support me and my child I won't have to worry as much financially and can just concentrate on studying. Really don't like relying on benefits though. As soon as I know what the timetable will be I hope I can find a part time job to work round it
Reply 5
It is possible to do. I was working full time as a Healthcare Assistant in a mental health hospital from September to January, 5 shifts a week, plus attending my access course which was 3 days a week. It was hard work but it is doable. You may have to sacrifice your social life but I promise you its well worth it. The first few months are hard as you are gaining new skills and constantly writing essays but if you can start a shift work job with similar hours as mine were (Early 7.00-15.00, Late 14.30 - 21.30, Night 20.45 - 07.30) you should be able to fit in enough hours to complete the work at a good standard and earn enough money to survive. I did night shifts for 3 months which allowed me to do my essays during the night and able to sleep during the day so I killed two birds with one stone as they say. As long as you're dedicated you will make it happen whatever the cost! :smile:

As for my car, I did have to take it off the road and use a bus pass.. as I was earning just enough money to pay the essential bills and spend a little on myself.

The question about the course being intensive... I wont lie to you... It is hard work. at one point I had 5 essays to do in 3 weeks ontop of exams and presentations but allocate your time and you will be fine.

I finish my access to nursing course in 4 weeks and we still have 5 units to complete. The last 2 months or so of access courses are normally crazy but with the experience and skills you gain from time management over the course you'll be a pro at juggling exams and essays.

Go for it. I promise you wont regret it... No time like the now!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Well it's nice to hear I'm not the only one worrying about it!

@jessykins I'd stay at my job if I could but as It's a Mon-Fri 9-5 gig that's not going to be possible. At the moment, as I'm wanting to go into Nursing I'm applying for various HCA jobs in the hope that when I do go to college it'll be easier to pick up evening and weekend shifts. If I must work (and I must if I want to eat lol) I'd rather being something in the field I'm interested in but I'd work in ASDA or clean toilets to get through. I just want to start - waiting til Septembers gonna be hard! Such a shame about your college being so far away!

@MissLCM - You're the same as me - I'll do almost any job to earn a living so long as I know there's something at the end of it!

@ Camason - that's my ideal situation really - working evening/weekends/nights around my course in a healthcare related job so I'm getting all that experience too/ I'll to give my other half a photo so he remembers what I look like lol. I'm fully prepared for the course to be intenstive, after years being an admin and phone monkey I'm actually looking forward to it (Wont be saying that when I'm knee deep in essays I'm sure!)

@Niki - I wouldnt worry too much about being benefits - you're using that money to better yourself and get a career - That's amazing! I'd do the same if I was in your situation x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending