The Student Room Group

Struggling to do assessments

Hi guys,

I am currently studying outdoor adventure education level 5 in university.
My niece of 8 months old sadly passed recently and i was wanting to defer and return back again next year but i have decided to stay and stick it out see how i feel after the Christmas break.

I am struggling to get back into the uni work, i have applied for extenuating circumstances and have two assessments passed due. I need help/advise as i do not want to fail and give this up.

Thanks,
Eth
Original post by Ethan2487
Hi guys,

My niece of 8 months old sadly passed recently and i was wanting to defer and return back again next year but i have decided to stay and stick it out see how i feel after the Christmas break.

I am struggling to get back into the uni work, i have applied for extenuating circumstances and have two assessments passed due. I need help/advise as i do not want to fail and give this up.

Thanks,
Eth

Hi @Ethan2487

I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope you're doing okay at the moment.

I think you've made a good decision to try and continue with your course, but of course right now it might feel like a struggle. I know you said you've reached out for extenuating circumstances, but have you spoken to any of your tutors about your recent deadlines and workload? Maybe they can offer some support? Or possibly help with the extenuating circumstances process?

But right now you should prioritize your wellbeing and time with family if you feel you need it. I'm sure you will start to get back into a routine with your work over time, but it might take some time and patience as your emotions might be running high right now.

I hope you're okay and remember to reach out to friends and family if you need some extra support.

Emily
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Ethan2487

I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope you're doing okay at the moment.

I think you've made a good decision to try and continue with your course, but of course right now it might feel like a struggle. I know you said you've reached out for extenuating circumstances, but have you spoken to any of your tutors about your recent deadlines and workload? Maybe they can offer some support? Or possibly help with the extenuating circumstances process?

But right now you should prioritize your wellbeing and time with family if you feel you need it. I'm sure you will start to get back into a routine with your work over time, but it might take some time and patience as your emotions might be running high right now.

I hope you're okay and remember to reach out to friends and family if you need some extra support.

Emily

Hi Emily,

Thank you for your reply,i am a bit better now as i am trying to focus on university but struggling to get the motivation.

I have reached out to my tutors and getting support but i feel it is not enough and i need to be independent and do the the work myself like i did last year if you get what i mean.

I hope it does get better and i find the motivation to do the work.

Thank you
Hi Emily,

Thank you for your reply,i am a bit better now as i am trying to focus on university but struggling to get the motivation.

I have reached out to my tutors and getting support but i feel it is not enough and i need to be independent and do the the work myself like i did last year if you get what i mean.

Thank you

Hi @Ethan2487 ,

I am very sorry for your loss.

It is good to see you have reached out for support. It might be hard to find motivation but if you have work you must absolutely do and need to be getting on with here are some things you could try:

Breaking things down step by step. By this I mean break down what you have to do in baby steps. You will feel a sense of accomplishment and if you have mini deadlines you will hopefully help yourself keep on track.

Reward yourself. This does not have to be food or money related at all and you can reward yourself for the smallest things like organising your time for the week ahead. Some examples of rewards include a planned night our or night in with friends or by yourself. Whatever you feel works for you.

Take regular breaks and be kind to yourself. Try out some studying techniques like the pomodoro technique where you study for 25 minutes and take a 5 minute break. After a few rounds of this such as 4 you take a longer break.

Keep doing hobbies that you enjoy. Balancing uni and life is tough but doing uni work will be harder if you do not focus on maintaining your wellbeing.

I hope these help and motivation does come to you with time!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Eth

Hi Eth,

I'm sorry to hear about your niece. It's completely understandable that you're finding it difficult to get back into your uni work. Taking some time to see how you feel after the Christmas break is a good idea.

In the meantime, reach out to your professors or academic advisors for support and guidance. They can help you with your extenuating circumstances and provide advice on how to catch up with your assessments. Remember, you're not alone in this.

Don't hesitate to ask for help when you need it.

Take care,
Ilya
Hi Emily,

Thank you

I understand. When you're out of a routine or something changes to how you're used to it, it can be rough. Especially if you're used to being so independent with your work.

Don't be afraid though to ask for help, as it might be what you need to start becoming more independent again. And comparing now to your work from last year might make you feel less motivated as you'll probably only see negative differences. Try your best to keep chipping away at your work when you feel able to, and it was slowly but surely come together.

All the best
Emily
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Eth

Hi Ethan,

I am really sorry to hear of your loss that must be so difficult.
I think you have done the right thing in applying for extenuating circumstances, it is important that you let the uni know that you are struggling. It may be worth speaking to a lecturer or someone you like at the university to discuss next steps. Your university may also have a wellbeing service which you can access.

I hope this helps

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Eth

Hey there @Ethan2487 !

Firstly I am incredibly sorry for your loss. This time period can't be easy for you and the worst thing you can do is mount pressure on yourself. The fact you've chosen to stick it out shows that you have strong willpower in the first place. Now all you need to do is learn how to focus your energy into your studies and it should help to kill two birds with one stone. The best way to cope with things like loss is to learn to distract yourself and find happiness in other things. Your studies will help you to do this as long as you don't lose sight of having a life outside your work.

My advice to you is to find a good work-life balance that keeps you busy and keeps you happy. For example, find something that you like to do that is completely different to your studies so that there's a complete differentiation between the two. This could be something small like taking yourself for a walk every day, taking up a new hobby or even implementing a healthier lifestyle. It's also important to lean on your friends in times like these because when you can't handle things yourself, they'll always be there to pick up the pieces. I would also suggest investing in your workspace so you feel motivated to do your work. Whether that be getting a new laptop for studying, investing in some nice stationery or even making the area itself look cosy, a nice work environment will encourage you to spend your time there. It may also be good to go do your work in the library every now and then so it's a change in environment for you. You may struggle if you're in a rigid routine of getting bored and slipping into a negative mindset because every day is the same, it's always good to switch things up and make every day different. The worst thing you can do in this situation is isolate yourself so make sure you're getting some good quality social time in throughout your week.

Hope this helped, you've got this!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Eth

Hey!

I'm truly sorry to hear about the difficult circumstances you're facing, and my condolences for the loss of your niece. It's commendable that you're considering continuing with your studies despite the challenges.

Firstly, reaching out for support is a crucial step, and I'm glad you've applied for extenuating circumstances. Your university likely has support services in place, such as counseling or academic advisors, who can offer guidance tailored to your situation. Don't hesitate to connect with them they are there to help you navigate these tough times.

Considering the two assessments that are past due, it's crucial to communicate with your professors as soon as possible. Explain your situation, and inquire about possible extensions or alternative arrangements. Most educators understand that life can present unexpected challenges, and they may be willing to provide some flexibility.

Additionally, make sure to take care of your well-being during this period. Balancing personal challenges and academic responsibilities can be overwhelming, so finding a support system among friends, family, or fellow students can be immensely beneficial. Remember, it's okay to ask for help and take the time you need to cope. Universities often have resources in place to assist students in such situations. You're not alone, and seeking support will contribute to a more positive outcome.

Take care, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions or concerns.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Student Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending