The Student Room Group

English Lit B-17th May exam

Scroll to see replies

Hiiya everyone! :biggrin:

I'm retaking this unit privately and am really confused over the AOs, I'm doing OCR A2 English Lit now which is completely different.

So what exactly constitutes to AO3 and AO4 in AQA LIT1B? Am I required to use contextual information for AO3 and critical quotations for AO4? If so, how much AO3 and AO4 are required in Section A (I'm going to do the Kite Runner) ?

Thanks in advance, will +rep helpful responses :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by ChocolatePearl
Hiiya everyone! :biggrin:

I'm retaking this unit privately and am really confused over the AOs, I'm doing OCR A2 English Lit now which is completely different.

So what exactly constitutes to AO3 and AO4 in AQA LIT1B? Am I required to use contextual information for AO3 and critical quotations for AO4? If so, how much AO3 and AO4 are required in Section A (I'm going to do the Kite Runner) ?

Thanks in advance, will +rep helpful responses :smile:

basically
ao1- the way you write so basically paragraphs etc
ao2- language analysis and narrative aspects- structure, setting, narrative perspective, form, language etc
ao3- interpretations so you can use critical quotations if you want but its not compulsory it will just impress the examiner
ao4- contextual knowledge
for section A question a you just really need ao1 and ao2 but can use ao3 to interpret language etc
for section A question b you need ao1, ao3 and ao4 so just naturally put in your critical argument and do a for and against for this question taking into account all points of view whilst intertwining contextual knowledge- dont have a massive irrelevant paragraph on it!
and im not doing the kite runner so i cant help you on that!
but hope this has been useful if ive remembered it all correctly that iss :smile:
Original post by charrey
basically
ao1- the way you write so basically paragraphs etc
ao2- language analysis and narrative aspects- structure, setting, narrative perspective, form, language etc
ao3- interpretations so you can use critical quotations if you want but its not compulsory it will just impress the examiner
ao4- contextual knowledge
for section A question a you just really need ao1 and ao2 but can use ao3 to interpret language etc
for section A question b you need ao1, ao3 and ao4 so just naturally put in your critical argument and do a for and against for this question taking into account all points of view whilst intertwining contextual knowledge- dont have a massive irrelevant paragraph on it!
and im not doing the kite runner so i cant help you on that!
but hope this has been useful if ive remembered it all correctly that iss :smile:

Aw thanks hun! Very helpful and a very speedy reply

+rep :wink:
Reply 123
Can anyone help on how to talk about Genre and Style? It's such a small aspect of narrative I really have no idea how to write about it. Any help is much appreciated thank you :smile:)
By the way, for anyone doing Great Gatsby the York Notes for it are really good!! Actually if you can get York Notes for any of them they'll probably be a big help to your revision.
Personally I'm just revising by doing past papers because I think that's the best way and I need to practice time management because I ran out of time in the mock. :/
Original post by meat style piece
Yeah it is good to hear, but I found out before the last time I did it and it made me complacent, so I ended up with 31/84, one mark off a C. It does mean that hopefully writing speed wont prevent anyone from getting an A if what they do write is good enough quality (according to the mark scheme anyway).

Gonna try not to get complacent:tongue:. Thing is that English is my 4th subject and i also have C2 on that day, so I can't really dedicate much time to it:confused:. We haven't really practised Section B much so i don't really know the approach to take:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheetahs56
Gonna try not to get complacent:tongue:. Thing is that English is my 4th subject and i also have C2 on that day, so I can't really dedicate much time to it:confused:. We haven't really practised Section B much so i don't really know the approach to take:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have C2 and English lit too. :/
I don't know how to approach Section B either. I get stumped easily
Reply 126
For the guys doing Gatsby for section A, its also likely that chapter 4 could come up, just checked and they havent done a question on it. :smile:
Original post by PreppyNinja
I have C2 and English lit too. :/
I don't know how to approach Section B either. I get stumped easily

Exactly! We haven't even gone through it at school either:angry: Are you OCR maths then? And what else did you take?:wink:
Exactly! We haven't even gone through it at school either:angry: Are you OCR maths then? And what else did you take?:wink:

I know, I feel scared now. And yes, MEI. And you?
I didn't take anything else yet I have Bio, Chem and stats left/
I know, I feel scared now. And yes, MEI. And you?
I didn't take anything else yet I have Bio, Chem and stats left/

OCR but no MEI:wink:. And what do you mean you didn't take them yet you have exams in them?:tongue:. I took Maths, Biology and Chemistry as well:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR but no MEI:wink:. And what do you mean you didn't take them yet you have exams in them?:tongue:. I took Maths, Biology and Chemistry as well:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I misread your question that why. I do that a lot :tongue:
I took Bio and Chem XD
I think I misread your question that why. I do that a lot :tongue:
I took Bio and Chem XD

Nice:tongue:. Are you a hopeful dentist/medic by chance?:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarah01
For the guys doing Gatsby for section A, its also likely that chapter 4 could come up, just checked and they havent done a question on it. :smile:

They have. It's chapter 6 that hasn't come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice:tongue:. Are you a hopeful dentist/medic by chance?:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you know :colone:
And yeah:colondollar:

You?
Reply 134
Anyone know the best way to structure/answer section B questions (42 marks) ??
Reply 135
Studying Browning/Rossetti/The Road/The Kite Runner.

Looking for a B, feeling mildly confident :smile:
Hi everyone,

Is A04 (context) only required for the second question of Scetion A? :smile:
Also, what do you guys think will come up for the section B question? Any predictions?
How did you know :colone:
And yeah:colondollar:

You?

Guessed with the subjects you took:tongue:. Also the fact I am an aspiring dentist too just gave me the thought:biggrin: Are you towards Medicine or Dentistry?
Original post by ohsnapitsjam
Also, what do you guys think will come up for the section B question? Any predictions?

They are rather unpredictable with that section. But I think symbolism or reference to appropriateness of titles or opening lines to whatever text you are doing.

Guessed with the subjects you took:tongue:. Also the fact I am an aspiring dentist too just gave me the thought:biggrin: Are you towards Medicine or Dentistry?

Medicine. I aspire to save the world by becoming an oncologist :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending