The Student Room Group

Durham vs. St. Andrew's vs. Birmingham vs. Edinburgh

Hey Everyone,

I am an Australian student hoping to come out to the UK for a year long exchange. From the universities with which mine has a program set up, I have lowered the number to 4. I have a gut feeling as to which might suit me, but as it isn't likely I will be able to come over to see each university before I come to stay, I'd like some first-hand info.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer me, particularly your opinions on which would best suit my personality. :smile:

Over here I am studying French, Arabic and will begin Spanish next year so I would be hoping to continue with these subjects.

I would love to go to a university with a range of societies (sporting, charitable and social) to help make friends and I hope to go to a smallish, close-knit uni preferably in the countryside and hopefully stay at a college. I'm not really the clubbing type so access to that lifestyle isn't really important to me.

Given these points and a little research I think at the moment I am leaning towards St. Andrew's, and Durham, Edinburgh and Birmingham are all together as my second preference. But I'd love your advice!

Sorry this is very wordy, I'd just love to hear from actual students to see their opinions, I'm not particularly fussed with which uni is "best" but more which would most suit me :smile:

Thank-you :smile:
I'd put birmingham bottom of the list, the others are much nicer places, particularly durham, it's not too big a place and it's small-ish and countryside-ish and although still a city, it's a pretty one. Birmingham is a big city. Edinburgh I can't speak for but I've known people who studied there and said it's a nice place too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks, I think I've narrowed it down to Durham and St. Andrew's- what would be your pick out of those two?
Most people on this website and will have experience of only ONE Uni. Therefore their opinions will be very singular!

If you look at the University's entry on Wikipedia, it gives you a very quick portrait of what that Uni is all about. Although Birmingham is 'city' and very urban, its attracts a much wider range of students than the others which are all a bit more 'traditional' and rely on a more 'old fashioned' college system. These three tend to attract more students from private schools and are often considered 'posh' (St Andrews in particular).

PS. Even Birmingham is close to countryside - the Cotswolds, one of the most beautiful areas in the UK. Edinburgh is a great city - big, cultural lots going on. The other two are still great places to be but smaller towns. St Andrews is beautiful but a long way away from anywhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest