The Student Room Group

AS/A2 WJEC English Language LG1/LG4 24-May & 3-June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by mkhan9035
Section A was really strange! Like text A there was no interaction between the commentators whereas text B there was! I forgot to mention text A was in a studio whereas text B was live which was why there were non-fluency features in text A than B! Overall, okay I think! Section B was okay too i guess as they were all Late Modern English texts and and some of the standardisation was evident! I had loads to talk a lot about in Section B! So i hope i've done enough! I talked more about language over time this time compared to last time when I never mentioned anything! So i hope I got a C or a B :/
Posted from TSR Mobile

There was interaction between the commentators in text B? :eek: I'm also certain the commentary was done by one person, Huw Edwards. They said he commentated in the text description, there was no other commentator apart from him in text B.

I think I should get at least 35/40 marks for section A, I mentioned just about everything you could, I even mentioned the somewhat patriotic views of the commentators, like they used the term "Her Majesty" and they also said something like "the greatest queen of all the nations ' or something like.

I don't think I will get beyond a C though completely ran out of time again, I can't seem to time these exams well, to be honest I don't think I could have worked any faster than that. I might switch the LG1/LG4 units with other units from another exam-board that doesn't have 2hr30 exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Section A was really strange! Like text A there was no interaction between the commentators whereas text B there was! I forgot to mention text A was in a studio whereas text B was live which was why there were non-fluency features in text A than B! Overall, okay I think! Section B was okay too i guess as they were all Late Modern English texts and and some of the standardisation was evident! I had loads to talk a lot about in Section B! So i hope i've done enough! I talked more about language over time this time compared to last time when I never mentioned anything! So i hope I got a C or a B :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Text A was Early Modern English wasn't it? :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by Nerd2
There was interaction between the commentators in text B? :eek: I'm also certain the commentary was done by one person, Huw Edwards. They said he commentated in the text description, there was no other commentator apart from him in text B.

I think I should get at least 35/40 marks for section A, I mentioned just about everything you could, I even mentioned the somewhat patriotic views of the commentators, like they used the term "Her Majesty" and they also said something like "the greatest queen of all the nations ' or something like.

I don't think I will get beyond a C though completely ran out of time again, I can't seem to time these exams well, to be honest I don't think I could have worked any faster than that. I might switch the LG1/LG4 units with other units from another exam-board that doesn't have 2hr30 exams.

No it said in the description both texts contain two commentaries, text A had it layered out like "commentator 1, commentator 2" i also mentioned patriotism, lexical set of royal vocab etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by beccaxheapes
Text A was Early Modern English wasn't it? :frown:

No they were all Late Modern English Texts as the first was from 1701 and The LME period is 1700-present

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nerd2

i completely agree, text b was only one commentator and that was Huw Edwards
although i messed up section b as the only things i talked about were contractions, direct address, language change, borrowing, and conjunction and asyndetic listing and graphology and sentence moods
otherwise it would say two commentators and commentator a and b like text a. another thing is that text b was the one in the studio while text a was on road side
Reply 87
Oh well i didn't actually mention that cause its what people put after we left the exam! Never mind! Just praying I get at least a C, anything higher would be a bonus

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it said in the description both texts contain two commentaries, text A had it layered out like "commentator 1, commentator 2"

Text A did have two commentators, but as you said there was no conversation between them. Text B was just by Edwards. :smile:

I was surprised that neither text had any interaction between speakers, I would have thought it would feature in at least one. As for Section B and the language periods I wouldn't worry about it guys, multiple sources have slightly different years for each.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Nerd2

when talking about "her majesty" i mentioned about pragmatics. would that be acceptable too or? ~_~

also in section a, text b, there was only one commentator. i remember 100% and was disappointed about not having any interactions in either text. :frown:
Original post by Enamored
when talking about "her majesty" i mentioned about pragmatics. would that be acceptable too or? ~_~

anything that would make reasonable sense is acceptable, i stated that her majesty is a vocative that shows the speakers respect towards the queen
although researching now thats not what vocative is ****
Reply 92
Original post by Enamored

also in section a, text b, there was only one commentator. i remember 100% and was disappointed about not having any interactions in either text. :frown:

Yeah that was so bloody annoying! It was just a lone commetary -.- bloody wjec t***s

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh wait that is what a vocative is :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by johnjorgell
oh wait that is what a vocative is :biggrin:

A vocative is exchange between 2 or more people "IN A CONVERSATION" the Queen wasn't in the conversation, and in that context it would be a proper noun! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
voc•a•tive (ˈvɒk ə tɪv)

adj.1. of or designating a grammatical case, as in Latin, used to indicate that a noun or pronoun refers to the person or thing being addressed.
2. of or used in calling or addressing.
n.3. the vocative case.
4. a word in this case, as Latin Paule “O Paul.”
Reply 96
i ended up spelling syntactic paralleling as syntaxical paralleling iirc. @_@
Reply 97
Found section A really difficult as there were so few spoken language features in them to really showcase terminology!
Section B was better with much more to talk about but we had nowhere near enough time! 2hr30 to analyse, discuss and compare 5 texts to such a high standard with everything they want! Didn't have time to read back and correct any small silly errors either! Need a B or bye bye university!
how did everyone else find their timing?
can anyone else comment on what vocatives are and Enamored spelling isnt as important as long as you have made a valid point
oh no i also mentioned beckham as being a sir but he is not oh darn what are the consequences of this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending