The Student Room Group

WJEC Geography B GCSE Exam-- 4th June 2013

Poll

How difficult did you find the exam (4th June 2013)?

Is anyone doing these exams and how do you feel about them? Do you have any revision methods/ tips? :smile:

I've added a poll to the thread regarding the difficulty of the exam! Your votes would be helpful. :biggrin:

Unit 1 Paper questions (please let me know of any others that I haven't listed! :smile: )

Spoiler

For the Unit 2 Section A and B exams (POLL):

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2379792
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing these. Anyone got any idea about case studies?
Original post by Jack59
I'm doing these. Anyone got any idea about case studies?

Which topics do you need case studies for? I'll see if I have them (If I do I'll post them here) :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Which topics do you need case studies for? I'll see if I have them (If I do I'll post them here) :wink:

From the top of my head, I need one about my flooding and I suspect flooding come up. I'll have a look later. :smile:
Original post by Jack59
From the top of my head, I need one about my flooding and I suspect flooding come up. I'll have a look later. :smile:

Well, this is the case study I have on flooding if you're interested :smile: -

Spoiler

How do you answer those "how can it affect the quality of life of..." questions? They've really stumped me. Also, my teachers suck, so I have limited notes/resources. Could anyone be kind enough to supply with me with any notes or websites they found useful? Thanks a lot.
Original post by DeadUnicorn
How do you answer those "how can it affect the quality of life of..." questions? They've really stumped me. Also, my teachers suck, so I have limited notes/resources. Could anyone be kind enough to supply with me with any notes or websites they found useful? Thanks a lot.

Well, the only 2 websites I know are very useful for revision are BBC Bitesize and BBC Learning Zone Class Clips :smile: :
Bitesize- http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/
Class Clips: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/

Personally, I find the Class Clips to be much more informative and when you're searching for a particular topic (using the search box), make sure you click on the link that begins with "BBC- Learning Zone Class Clips" :wink:

Here's an example of a Class Clip video on caves/arches/stacks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/coastlines-caves-arches-and-stacks/8432.html

Edit: I forgot to mention but by quality of life, they mean which groups of people are affected, whether their life/wellbeing improves or not and why/how etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, the only 2 websites I know are very useful for revision are BBC Bitesize and BBC Learning Zone Class Clips :smile: :
Bitesize- http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/
Class Clips: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/

Personally, I find the Class Clips to be much more informative and when you're searching for a particular topic (using the search box), make sure you click on the link that begins with "BBC- Learning Zone Class Clips" :wink:

Here's an example of a Class Clip video on caves/arches/stacks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/coastlines-caves-arches-and-stacks/8432.html

Edit: I forgot to mention but by quality of life, they mean which groups of people are affected, whether their life/wellbeing improves or not and why/how etc.
Thanks a bunch dude! Also, due to the WJEC site having few past papers, do you recommend trying out other exam board's papers? Thanks again, means a lot.
Thanks a bunch dude! Also, due to the WJEC site having few past papers, do you recommend trying out other exam board's papers? Thanks again, means a lot.

No problem :cool:
I'm not sure about other exam boards, but have you tried the other WJEC Geography syllabus? (syllabus A) :smile: -
http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=58&level=7&list=paper

I've got 4 or 5 past papers for the syllabus we're doing now (syllabus B) but for me that's enough, since I'll be spending time focusing on preparing for my other 9 exams. :colondollar: How many exams do you have left? :smile:
Reply 9
I'm retaking Unit one for A*. Anyone who has had an A* have any tips?
Hi! just to check: is the core on the 4th and the options on the 12th of June? :smile:
No problem :cool:
I'm not sure about other exam boards, but have you tried the other WJEC Geography syllabus? (syllabus A) :smile: -
http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=58&level=7&list=paper

I've got 4 or 5 past papers for the syllabus we're doing now (syllabus B) but for me that's enough, since I'll be spending time focusing on preparing for my other 9 exams. :colondollar: How many exams do you have left? :smile:

You are a lifesaver! Apart from the 3 exams for geog, I've got like 4 left :tongue: How can you handle 9?! Also, what grade you aiming for geog?
You are a lifesaver! Apart from the 3 exams for geog, I've got like 4 left :tongue: How can you handle 9?! Also, what grade you aiming for geog?

I have no idea how I'm going to handle 9 but I'm most nervous about English Language (my first exam) :redface: For geography, since it has been one of my favourite subjects ever since we begun doing it in year 8, I would ideally like an A*. Unfortunately, I won't be taking it to A Level (I'll be doing Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry, Physics) but an A* in geography GCSE will be a reminder of all the good times I've had in it. What are you aiming for? :smile:
Original post by dobrev04
Hi! just to check: is the core on the 4th and the options on the 12th of June? :smile:

Hmmm...are you sure you're on the same syllabus as us? We're doing the exams where themes 1 and 2 and in the first exam (4th June) with theme 3 and a decision making paper being in on the second exam (12th June). :smile:
Reply 14
Hmmm...are you sure you're on the same syllabus as us? We're doing the exams where themes 1 and 2 and in the first exam (4th June) with theme 3 and a decision making paper being in on the second exam (12th June). :smile:

Yep, same here.

Do you have idea on what could come up on any of them exams? Such a broad question, I know. :biggrin:

I actually did the 4th June exam last year and got a D. I'm not entirely sure how as I'm predicted an A in Geography and got an A in the mock. Probably just stuffed my case studies up or something. :frown:
Original post by Jack59
Yep, same here.

Do you have idea on what could come up on any of them exams? Such a broad question, I know. :biggrin:

I actually did the 4th June exam last year and got a D. I'm not entirely sure how as I'm predicted an A in Geography and got an A in the mock. Probably just stuffed my case studies up or something. :frown:

Well, my class was given two major tips for the exams:
--Provide enough detail- don't just state points which are undeveloped and give multiple reasons/explanations for longer mark questions.
--Explain the effects on more than one group of people when the question asks for it, and remember to explain how and why it will have a positive/negative impact on them. :smile:

Edit: I've just remembered that you were on the English Literature thread- we meet again :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

ah no, sorry i just realised this is B, i'm doing A! :colondollar: i didnt realise the exams would be on the same days!
Original post by dobrev04
ah no, sorry i just realised this is B, i'm doing A! :colondollar: i didnt realise the exams would be on the same days!

That's fine- if there isn't another thread for WJEC Geography A, then you could begin a new thread, but you're welcome to ask questions here if you want :smile:
I have no idea how I'm going to handle 9 but I'm most nervous about English Language (my first exam) :redface: For geography, since it has been one of my favourite subjects ever since we begun doing it in year 8, I would ideally like an A*. Unfortunately, I won't be taking it to A Level (I'll be doing Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry, Physics) but an A* in geography GCSE will be a reminder of all the good times I've had in it. What are you aiming for? :smile:
I have the reading English Lang on the same day as our first Geog, i'm positively frightened for Geog :frown: But Lang's fun, so it should be okay. I'm predicted a B in Geog but at the rate it's going I'm looking at a C/D :eek: I hate Geography, might I point that out. You seem really science/maths oriented, judging by your A Level choices!
I have the reading English Lang on the same day as our first Geog, i'm positively frightened for Geog :frown: But Lang's fun, so it should be okay. I'm predicted a B in Geog but at the rate it's going I'm looking at a C/D :eek: I hate Geography, might I point that out. You seem really science/maths oriented, judging by your A Level choices!

Yes, that's one way of putting it :wink: .Interesting- I completely loathe English, but adore Geography whilst for you, it's the other way round! You should check out the resources for English for our upcoming exam (I assume you're on AQA like me?) on this thread. I recommend you download/print the syllabus for geography and then use it as a checklist when revising different topics and revise case studies as well...Not much else I can think of really :smile: :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending