Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Updated @ 04/06/13

This is all the resources on this post - i dont like it when it is messy :mmm: :
    Spoiler:
    Show

Exemplar answers for each question,, the playlist starts from the YouTube video below:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Mr Bruff PDF Uploaded - Download it all together - I advise to Print it Out (I did) !
    Tips :
    • Look at the questions in section B before you even put your pen to paper.. you want to have thoughts in your mind for the first hour or so..
    • I remember reading somewhere that it is good to listen to political speeches for practice for section B
    • I will add more as more come to mind and the exam gets closer..

Oh and the Mr bruff revision guide only STARTS with the foundation stuff...

EXAMPLAR PAPER - 73/80 - A* UPLOADED

The Jan Mark Scheme has nearly 1100 views!

The revision guide in the post below has 2300 views!

as a simple guess.... im think i one item will get around 1000 views by exam day... i think there was 1500+ views in the poetry thread...

Here are some good techniques to use in section B of the exam:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by sos_)
    Helpful terminology- other techniques apart from DAFOREST and random musings:

Juxtaposition
    Satire
    Use of inclusive (It is OUR time. WE shall be winners.)
    Direct object singular pronouns (personal piece)
    A posh word for the rule of three is a tricolon (this is my all time favorite word to pull out of the metaphorical magic hat)
    Irony
    Don't just say the word is effective- it is more perceptive to say the adjective, adverb, verb, etc is
    effective
    If you can identify the difference between a tabloid and broadsheet article, state it in your answer.
    Pun
    Abbreviations/ initalisms
    Sibilance (repeated 's' sounds)
    Assonance (repeated vowel sounds e.g. how now brown cow)
    Consonance ( repeated consonant sound e.g. few flocked to the fight)
    When referring to a source, instead of repeating the word 'source' continuously, one might say: text, piece, article, item, in paragraph one, etc
    Thanks for that

Work out what grade you are at currently, in comparison to the June 2012 Boundaries:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Joe7)
    For the Speaking and Listening coursework, here are last years grade boundaries.

Grade Raw mark UMS mark
    Max. 45 60
    A* 41 54
    A 38 48
    B 33 42
    C 28 36

Here are last years grade boundaries for the written coursework:

Grade Raw mark UMS mark
    Max. 80 120
    A* 72 108
    A 64 96
    B 55 84
    C 46 72

And for last years English Language exam:

Grade Raw mark UMS mark
    Max. 80 120
    A* 61 108
    A 55 96
    B 49 84
    C 44 72

Finally, here are the grade boundaries, which I have put together, for the course as a whole.

Grade Raw mark UMS mark
    Max. 205 300
    A* 174 270
    A 157 240
    B 137 210
    C 118 180

Some helpful tips :
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by BP_Tranquility)

I found some useful resources -

This contains a VERY useful list of words that could be used in Section A in the exam (scroll down to see the Weak vs Strong verbs and words which can be used to describe the tone of a text and alternative ways of saying "this shows").-
    http://www.auburnschools.org/ahs/mps...r%20Packet.pdf

And here's an analysis of a speech from Barack Obama from The Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...-hits-rhetoric

Oh and remember to look at the post below for more language resources!

Hehe... Dont forget to +Rep and keep the post alive!!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Speciman English Language Higher PAPER and INSERT.pdf (508.8 KB, 2642 views)
  2. File Type: pdf Top Tips.pdf (148.8 KB, 1370 views)
  3. File Type: pdf January 2013 Paper Higher.pdf (145.8 KB, 2321 views)
  4. File Type: pdf January 2013 Mark Scheme.pdf (537.4 KB, 10666 views)
  5. File Type: pdf January 2013 Insert.pdf (736.8 KB, 6073 views)
  6. File Type: pdf Eng-Lang- Examplar - Section A - 36 out of 40.pdf (663.0 KB, 2894 views)
  7. File Type: pdf Eng-Lang- Examplar - Section B - 37 out of 40.pdf (482.2 KB, 2143 views)

ReputationRep:
    This post was updated on : 01/06/13
    5 NEW ATTACHMENTS!!!

link to foundation insert - January 2013 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/62fd371bgs...Foundation.pdf

A good revision guide is attached to this post!

If you barely know anything about the course this is a good start :
    Spoiler:
    Show

I have attached a revision guide to this post which i believe is fairly good!

Hehe... Dont forget to +Rep and keep the thread alive!! :clap2::dancing2::dance::groovy::nutcase::security::spank::thumbsup::bhangra:

Ryan
    Attached Images
  8. File Type: pdf January 2013 Paper Foundation.pdf (124.9 KB, 1056 views)
  9. File Type: pdf January 2013 Mark Scheme Foundation.pdf (474.3 KB, 3598 views)
  10. File Type: pdf Revison Guide Yr 11.pdf (333.9 KB, 6866 views)
  11. File Type: pdf AP English 11 Power Packet.pdf (110.3 KB, 11421 views)
  12. File Type: pdf English Language All Past Papers - to Jan 13.pdf (402.3 KB, 2378 views)
  13. File Type: pdf Question - layout - VERY USEFULL!!!.pdf (166.8 KB, 1128 views)
  14. File Type: pdf Writing_to_inform.pdf (32.3 KB, 443 views)
  15. Attached Files
  16. File Type: doc Practice questions - Section B.doc (95.5 KB, 1204 views)

ReputationRep:
    some people asked so i will put it here...

i got an A ... then after a remark i got my A* in Lang. -- this shizz works!!!

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    legend, cheers for making this, I'm also re-taking. Best of luck in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robocop656)
    legend, cheers for making this, I'm also re-taking. Best of luck in advance.
    np... did you do lit today??

ryan

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm re-taking too and wanna say thanks for the resources! Mr Bruff's videos are so helpful! Btw you guys what mark did you get if you did higher? Curious I guess..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SklIsMentalAbuse)
    Hey I'm re-taking too and wanna say thanks for the resources! Mr Bruff's videos are so helpful! Btw you guys what mark did you get if you did higher? Curious I guess..
    i did it in june last year and i scraped an A..55/80 raw marks..96/120 ums
    if i lost one mark i would have a B

i want an A* ... what did you get?

ryan

ReputationRep:
    The irony that english has been spelt wrong

Thanks for making the thread though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    i did it in june last year and i scraped an A..55/80 raw marks..96/120 ums
    if i lost one mark i would have a B

i want an A* ... what did you get?

ryan
    Ohh I got 58 marks but I want an A* too plus my teachers think this year's grade boundaries are gonna be high. What do you think you'll need for an A*?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh I got 58 marks but I want an A* too plus my teachers think this year's grade boundaries are gonna be high. What do you think you'll need for an A*?
    62 or 63 max

what did you get in your C/A's

ReputationRep:
    62 or 63 max

what did you get in your C/A's
    Oooh I expected a bit more, so I need a few marks more! I got 70/80 marks which is an A, 3 marks of an A* but my work's getting moderated so it could possibly, hopefully it goes higher! Good luck with your re-take! How was Lit today?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I expected a bit more, so I need a few marks more! I got 70/80 marks which is an A, 3 marks of an A* but my work's getting moderated so it could possibly, hopefully it goes higher! Good luck with your re-take! How was Lit today?
    not bad.. i think i have an A in that .. we only started it in jan so im happy with that .. but i want an A*

Are you doing lit?
    What are you doing next year?
    ryan

ReputationRep:
    not bad.. i think i have an A in that .. we only started it in jan so im happy with that .. but i want an A*

Are you doing lit?
    What are you doing next year?
    ryan
    Ooh what year are you in? Yeah finished Lit wohoooo so happy! Just got this stupid sh*t left. Gonna do A-Levels next year, Bio, Chem, French and Geo (:

ReputationRep:
    hey guys how much points are we supposed to do for questions 1-3, and ryan, how did conflict go.what poems did u compare?

ReputationRep:
    I only scraped a B in the exam but I got 71/80 in Controlled assessment and 44/45 in S&L so on a mid A with our schools fairly accurate predictions, Need to get about 61/62 overall to get my grade up to an A* but it's worth the retake right? I did literature today, was far better than the exam on monday, hated that one!

ReputationRep:
    Our teachers predict it'll be 63 for an A* in the exam by the way! ..But after this june they predict that they could very possibly.. but not definitely go down one or two due to results!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh what year are you in? Yeah finished Lit wohoooo so happy! Just got this stupid sh*t left. Gonna do A-Levels next year, Bio, Chem, French and Geo (:
    year 11
    im doing M,FM,AFM,Bio,Chem,Physics

(Original post by theslowbaker)
    hey guys how much points are we supposed to do for questions 1-3, and ryan, how did conflict go.what poems did u compare?
    i compared the yellow palm to at the border
    i had everyone around me give me a weird look when i ripped out the page in the anthology since i couldnt see it properlly ... they copied

hbu?

ryan

ReputationRep:
    lol,

An invigilator looked at me with disgust when i ripped one of the corners of the anthology- i cant imagine how bad it must of been for you.

I compared Yellow Palm with the Out the blue extract.How can you compare yellow palm to at the border-there are no similarities.Are there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    The irony that english has been spelt wrong

Thanks for making the thread though
    Oh well :egg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theslowbaker)
    lol,

An invigilator looked at me with disgust when i ripped one of the corners of the anthology- i cant imagine how bad it must of been for you.

I compared Yellow Palm with the Out the blue extract.How can you compare yellow palm to at the border-there are no similarities.Are there?
    there are ... the question was a re-word of what are the effects of conflict
    .. and there are lots in ATB.. it is aput how the brutality of conflict effect all of us.. i compared the image of the girl to the boy that looked at the silver caravan in TYP..and stuff about how it can becoe a daily part of our lives.. plus stuff about sadam hussain.. oh and the fact that ts has effected 2nd/3rd generation of peoples

there were lots of comparisons...

yeah they said at the start of the exam..not to write in the anthologies..if possible since the school reuse them.. my teacher gave me a dirty look after he found out i ripped like a page out... atleast i will be remembered for it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.