The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thatsthebadger
the time has finally come, the real as-level open book chemistry coursework.

wot are your views on it? I think it looks reletively easy, mostly description.

anyone have some good related sources?

Yep, got mine yesterday. We were told it was on Germanium but its on Gallium. Is this the same as the one you are doing?
Reply 2
it sure is the same one. u started it yet? i think its easyier than the two mocks i did.
Reply 3
thatsthebadger
it sure is the same one. u started it yet? i think its easyier than the two mocks i did.

Yeh ive sort of started the first question, but hardly. I think it sounds ok. Don't like the look of the 10 mark question part. Will have to write alot for that one.
Reply 4
thatsthebadger

What mocks did you do? (I'm quite sad in that I loved the Open Book we had!! Best thing about A-Level Chemistry by far!! :tongue: )
Reply 5
did a mock on atomic spectroscopy, and a mock on chlorine and iodine production.

i can kinda see y u liked them. i mean they arnt really hard, but they do take alot of time, and are so boring. the spectroscopy one was v.hard

i have done about 1/2 of the real one so far, took me about 1.5 hours. need to find some diagrams and other sources. especially about the particle accelerator.

any one got any info?
Reply 6
Ahh such a shame, the photochemical smog one we did was ace!! Adivce wise I'd say its essential to note down everything you look at, what may not seem beneficial now may seem crucial later & you'll regret not keeping a record! Also make sure to annotate all diagrams that you do use! Best of luck!!
Reply 7
Katie J
Ahh such a shame, the photochemical smog one we did was ace!! Adivce wise I'd say its essential to note down everything you look at, what may not seem beneficial now may seem crucial later & you'll regret not keeping a record! Also make sure to annotate all diagrams that you do use! Best of luck!!

I loved that open Book 2, lots of diagrams and pictures it was quite enjoyable doing it compared to our individual investigations now which are a complete nightmare :mad: I much preferred my real open book to my mock of chlorine and iodine production as that was truely boring. Good luck all you a/s salter chemistry students, and enjoy the course now because it gets a lot harder at the end of A2, TRUST ME!
Reply 8
btw, thanks for your help on my last mock Kuz. I just managed to get an A, which was pretty good considering my first mock was a D. its given me confidence, and i think i shld be able to get a high mark on this one too. its really about learning the style of report writing they want.

all i need to do is find some damn info about particle accelerators and im there.

whoop.
Reply 9
thatsthebadger
btw, thanks for your help on my last mock Kuz. I just managed to get an A, which was pretty good considering my first mock was a D. its given me confidence, and i think i shld be able to get a high mark on this one too. its really about learning the style of report writing they want.

all i need to do is find some damn info about particle accelerators and im there.

whoop.

Anytime mate...to be honest I thought my mock was absolutly crap, but if it helped you I'm glad. Good luck with your a/s's

Luv
well if it was crap, it was damn good crap. lol.
Ramaya
Yep, got mine yesterday. We were told it was on Germanium but its on Gallium. Is this the same as the one you are doing?

I'm doing that Open Book... Salters right?
Havn't started mine yet. Probably should get down to it. Its due next Wednesday, so got a week yet, but still. I need to get it done. My mock open book (the iodine and chlorine one) wasn't good. i got a D. I'm not quite sure on the kinda style i should write it in. any advice? i need to get a good grade on the coursework coz I always seem to muck up parts of the exams. My pratical coursework was good. :smile: If i do well in this then I should be able to get a decent grade at the end.
yer salters.
u should try and write it in a style which shows cross refrencing and thought. ie. ur writing shows clearly how u progress from one idea to another. Also keep it concise and to the point - they arent particullarly interested in the exact history and peoples names, for example.
also use a variaty of presentational devices; flow diagrams, graphs, tables etc. but only use them when neccessary.
perhaps write a brief introduction, say 1 or 2 sentences. keeping to headings relationing to the bullet points they give you might be useful too.

hope that kinda helps. it shouldnt be to hard i dont think.

got any good websites on it> ?

whoop
in a particle accelerator, when ions are fired into a target metal, is it nuclear fusion that occurs to produce the new element?

ie (numbers meant to be subscript)

24Cr + 83Bi --> 107 new element.
Reply 14
Does everyone have the same open book?

We havent started our official one yet, we get it in a months time (we have to get our 3 mock ones done first)

It's on Gallium? It sounds really hard... Is it one where most of the info's in the booklet, or is there a lot of research to go with it?
Reply 15
LS.
Does everyone have the same open book?

We havent started our official one yet, we get it in a months time (we have to get our 3 mock ones done first)

It's on Gallium? It sounds really hard... Is it one where most of the info's in the booklet, or is there a lot of research to go with it?

Everyone doing OCR salters gets the same one. Yep its on gallium and generally the periodic table. Alot of info is in the booklet but you need alot of background reading in order to write it. I have to hand it in on friday and i have only really reasearched, although i am attempting question 1 now. We only did 1 mock u r doing 3?! :confused:
Reply 16
Ramaya
Everyone doing OCR salters gets the same one. Yep its on gallium and generally the periodic table. Alot of info is in the booklet but you need alot of background reading in order to write it. I have to hand it in on friday and i have only really reasearched, although i am attempting question 1 now. We only did 1 mock u r doing 3?! :confused:

Eee...It sounds fun :rolleyes:

Yup, three open books: Extraction of copper and gold with bacteria and the asprin/salbutamol one... I have another one over the easter holiday [Yet we've just done the pratical & c/w but had no practice :confused: ]

Thanks for the info though, and good luck in getting it finished :smile:
Reply 17
[im findin the open paper on gallium really hard does n e one have any good site about spectroscopy or the unilac accelerator?
escimo
[im findin the open paper on gallium really hard does n e one have any good site about spectroscopy or the unilac accelerator?

i aint finding it hard, but i also would like some info on this.

also anyone know the answer to my q, (a bit above)
Reply 19
thatsthebadger
i aint finding it hard, but i also would like some info on this.

also anyone know the answer to my q, (a bit above)

.......i think your idea is correct
and i find another point which makes me confuse
the ions used in UNILAC have larger numbers of both protons and neutrons
is that because double magic gives a stable element

i 've been in uk for less than 1 year, so please excuse my poor english > <

one more th i find i just collect some points from the article and rewrite again. is that the right way to do so
my teacher didn't give any mock op book exam to us

Latest

Trending

Trending