The Student Room Group

Probability: Correlation

prob.jpg

Hi, I have tried to do this question but I get stuck at the last part where it is asked of me to find the correlation. Can anyone help me? Thank you for your time
Original post by gardash

Hi, I have tried to do this question but I get stuck at the last part where it is asked of me to find the correlation. Can anyone help me? Thank you for your time

In what way are you stuck? It seems to be a case of just applying a formula
Reply 2
Corr(Y1,Y2)=Cov(Y1,Y2)Var(Y1)Var(Y2)=E[Y1Y2]E[Y1]E[Y2]Var(Y1)Var(Y2)\text{Corr}(Y_1,Y_2)=\dfrac{ \text {Cov}(Y_1,Y_2)}{\sqrt{\text{Var}(Y_1)\text{Var}(Y_2)}}=\dfrac{ \mathbb {E} [Y_1Y_2]- \mathbb {E}[Y_1]\mathbb{E}[Y_2]}{\sqrt{\text{Var}(Y_1)\text{Var}(Y_2)}}

coming either from definitions or from immediate applications of definitions.

The expectations and variances of the Y_i come from their marginal distributions, and E[Y_1Y_2] comes from their joint distribution.

Hope this is along the lines of what you expected to see.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by zeratul
Corr(Y1,Y2)=Cov(Y1,Y2)Var(Y1)Var(Y2)=E[Y1Y2]E[Y1]E[Y2]Var(Y1)Var(Y2)\text{Corr}(Y_1,Y_2)=\dfrac{ \text {Cov}(Y_1,Y_2)}{\sqrt{\text{Var}(Y_1)\text{Var}(Y_2)}}=\dfrac{ \mathbb {E} [Y_1Y_2]- \mathbb {E}[Y_1]\mathbb{E}[Y_2]}{\sqrt{\text{Var}(Y_1)\text{Var}(Y_2)}}

coming either from definitions or from immediate applications of definitions.

The expectations and variances of the Y_i come from their marginal distributions, and E[Y_1Y_2] comes from their joint distribution.

Hope this is along the lines of what you expected to see.

I was stuck on the part E[Y_1Y_2]. How do I find it?
Reply 4
In complete generality, if f(x,y) is the joint density of the random variables in the region D of the x,y plane, and h(x,y) is just an integrable function, then

E[h(X,Y)]=Dh(x,y)f(x,y)dxdy\mathbb{E}[h(X,Y)]=\int\int_D h(x,y)f(x,y)\text{d}x\text{d}y.

Try to identify which is h, f and D in your case

[Hint: in the discrete case, integrals are sums, densities are joint pmf's].
Original post by gardash
I was stuck on the part E[Y_1Y_2]. How do I find it?

E(Y1Y2)=i,jijP(Y1=i,Y2=j)\displaystyle E(Y_1Y_2) = \sum_{i,j}ijP(Y_1=i,Y_2=j)
Reply 6
Thank you both. I got it

Quick Reply

Latest