The Student Room Group

Do you think that poor sociability is strongly correlated with failures in life?

I don't have a definite position on this but would like to hear what you think.
Reply 1
Anecdotally, I think there is sme correlation, specifically in terms of promotions and love life.
Original post by gjd800
Anecdotally, I think there is sme correlation, specifically in terms of promotions and love life.

You are right.
I think it's about the soft skills that being sociable develops. I know friends who partied at uni regularly and spent less time on their work, they are now further in their careers because they've developed soft skills which has improved their connections, network, and made them more likeable and personable at interview stage.

So I think in some ways, being sociable is important for success.
Original post by MollySco9
I think it's about the soft skills that being sociable develops. I know friends who partied at uni regularly and spent less time on their work, they are now further in their careers because they've developed soft skills which has improved their connections, network, and made them more likeable and personable at interview stage.

You are right.
Original post by MollySco9

I 100 percent agree with this. Academia often tunnel visions students to devote themselves entirely to it. Teachers, Lecturer and sometimes even Parents often stress the importance of focussing on studies and doing well on them. Social stuff is often dismissed and even looked down upon by them, but the worth of social stuff and social time shouldn't be dismissed I think. As noted it can be very much more important. Had I realised this and not bern suckered into the all obsessiveness of academia I would quite possibly be better off because of it. I did as I was supposed to but what I was supposed to be doing probably wasn't right. Kind of wish Schools & Uni's would ease up on the academia and be a bit more balanced really for all of our sake.
Original post by Katerina S.
I 100 percent agree with this. Academia often tunnel visions students to devote themselves entirely to it. Teachers, Lecturer and sometimes even Parents often stress the importance of focussing on studies and doing well on them. Social stuff is often dismissed and even looked down upon by them, but the worth of social stuff and social time shouldn't be dismissed I think. As noted it can be very much more important. Had I realised this and not bern suckered into the all obsessiveness of academia I would quite possibly be better off because of it. I did as I was supposed to but what I was supposed to be doing probably wasn't right. Kind of wish Schools & Uni's would ease up on the academia and be a bit more balanced really for all of our sake.

Ironically, many of my most under-performing old classmates are the ones who are doing the best in their career nowadays. I often wonder what the point for me to have studied hard (without ever having been a top student) is.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by ABBAForever2015
Ironically, many of my most under-performing old classmates are the ones who are doing the best in their career nowadays. I often wonder what the point for me to have studied hard (without ever having been a top student) is.

Me too! Exactly the same, all those years of hard work and study. All those evenings and weekends in doing homework, coursework, preparing for exams, for what? Essentially a job where the pay is little different from non graduate jobs just more hard work for it. Seems like an exercise is torturing oneself now or being done so by the education system. Right from Middle School through Secondary School got dumped with loads of homework each day that meant spending all evenings doing it then the weekend to do what remained until next week same over again on repeat. Very little to no free time, can't be healthy for mind or body now looking back, but was told that it's necessary to get on, clearly it is becoming evident that is not true. I admit it probably couldn't have been envisaged then but now I hope they aren't repeating the same mistakes.
When I look at the damage being done to society and the people in it by over concentrating on Education (i.e Academia) and trying to sell it to all as the solution to people's lives going forward I find it disturbing. I'm not saying this against bothering with education at all but that sone sort of grip on the maximum time any one child or student spends on doing academic work for school or to complete a course and get a good outcome should be made. Its not just here in China many kids are made to study ridiculously long hours so much so that their eyesight deteriorates very severely at a young age due to lacking natural sunlight which it needs. Already here I see many young children wearing glasses and not getting out enough, it's a sad state of affairs to get out children into at a young age. There's a need for top performing academics in STEM subjects but they tend to be naturals at that anyway. The rest don't need to be subjected to an over zealous education system to fulfill jobs that don't really need such a high level of educational rigour. Enforcing children & students to much often unncessary study time is kind of like a form of self harm in itself. I rather hope that people come to realise that moderation is needed when it comes to Academia for many children & students and the importance of social time to avoid more people being badly affected by over studying as they grow up. Society wise it's putting us in a bad place if people don't develop properly socially and physically which will affect all of us if we end up living isolated miserable lives.
Reply 9
No. Many genuises were misanthropists and no one would consider them failures. In fact, I would argue there is, perhaps, a positive correlation between "poor sociability" and those who have made world-changing discoveries, inventions, art, etc.

If we're talking things like love life, then obviously yes. But not everyone needs or wants one.
Original post by fec1864
No. Many genuises were misanthropists and no one would consider them failures. In fact, I would argue there is, perhaps, a positive correlation between "poor sociability" and those who have made world-changing discoveries, inventions, art, etc.

If we're talking things like love life, then obviously yes. But not everyone needs or wants one.

I beg to differ. It may not really be the case.
Reply 11
I beg to differ. It may not really be the case.

Okay...are you going to explain why or give me evidence?
Always exceptions to the rule I guess, Bill Gates is known for not being that good socially (possibly moreso when younger) and did well. Top IT guys can do well but are kind of in a field of their own where top Maths skills are needed where social people are likely to struggle to get in. In general though most people are intelligent enough to be able to function in most jobs. It's possible that even though a socialable person gets on better career wise they might not be all that good at their job but the Employer can't see it as they're taken by their social side.

I think part of the problem and this might not go down so well here, is that Education has been overexpanded too much. It probably needed a little expansion in the nineties but not as much as it did and it then carried on expanding. Massive Uni buildings were built and most Uni's have ended up running the same subject courses.

Many of the students I was on a course with, most were ok but some used to mess around. It was a technical course and while they got jobs afterwards I'm not so sure that they were really all that great at it and they moved jobs a bit. However they probably came across well at interview so got in that way.

What I'm saying is that I think society can get messed up if we don't realise that we all have been given something in life and it's best to stick to that and not tread on each others toes. Social people enjoy being socialable and while I would have liked less academic intensity in my life I'm not so sure I would ever gave been all that good socially. The more people that get Uni degrees the less money Employers are willing to offer. So a degree of restricting access to those can get good A'level grades makes sense I think. Same with A'levels with those who get good GCSE'S. While depending on requirements it may have cut me out sometimes it can be a case of being cruel to be kind and may lead to a better situation long term. Better I think that Employers aren't delused with a big pool of graduates and not be sure if any are any good and better for those graduates to be able to get good pay by not being swamped with poor performing graduates. Those who don't pass the bar to get into Uni can then get on with their life early and not waste years at study.
Reply 13
While sociability can play a role in various aspects of life, it is important to note that the correlation between poor sociability and failures in life is not necessarily a direct or absolute one. The impact of sociability on an individual's success or failure can vary depending on the context and individual circumstances.
Original post by fec1864
Okay...are you going to explain why or give me evidence?

Sadly, it's hard to say.
Reply 15
You are right.

You are right.

Sadly, it's hard to say.

Seemed pretty easy for you to declare people as right.

How is it hard when you beg to differ?
Original post by Quady
Seemed pretty easy for you to declare people as right.

How is it hard when you beg to differ?

Because I agree with what they said.
Reply 17
Because I agree with what they said.

Handy when what you agree with is 'right'.

Especially given you didn't have a definite position.
Reply 18
While some highly successful individuals, like Bill Gates, may have been less socially adept, they are exceptions rather than the norm. In most professional settings, being able to interact well with colleagues, clients, and stakeholders is crucial for collaboration, teamwork, and career advancement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending