The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

looking for info about "Principal Honours"

Hi everyone :smile: I am (hopefully) going to Glasgow University to study Sociology and Economics in September, and I recently read about the possibility to do "Principal Honours", meaning something like Joint Honours plus a language. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much information online, so I was wondering if there's anyone here studying for a Principal Honours degree? I read that it includes spending time abroad, but is that additional, so that you study for five years instead of four? And is it necessary to start with the language right away, or could I do Sociology, Economics and Psychology in my first and Sociology, Economics and French in my second year and then go on to a Principal Honours Degree in those three subjects?
Reply 1
I *think* it means your degree is four years long. You spend your third year abroad, which actually counts towards your final degree classification, and then you go straight into your final year. The language is only 25% of your degree, the 75% being the 'Principal' subject. On the other hand, the Joint Honours degrees involve a 50/50 split, with the year abroad being additional and not counting towards your degree classification - your programme is 5 years long in that case.

Yes, you need to start the language right away as you need to pass both level 1 and level 2. And as far as I'm aware, you can't do an Honours degree in more than two subjects. For example, you can do Economics with French or Sociology with French, but not Economics & Sociology with French.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/choosingyourdegree/artssciencesocialsciences/socialsciences/
Actually, this says something about taking two subjects + a language, so I'm not sure. Best to ask.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your response :-)
It says "two social sciences subjects with a subsidiary language"... and it makes sense that you have to start in year one, but do you think that's also the case when you're already fluent in the language that you want to do?

Yeah, asking is probably a good idea^^ I guess I'll take it to a question thread, then :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending