The Student Room Group

Why can't I be a terrorists?

Why?

Adam Lanza, 20, fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members in a mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School - The guy was crazy, not a terrorist.
James Holmes, the former PhD-student accused of killing 12 people in Colorado when he opened fire in a cinema - The guy was crazy, not a terrorist.
Anders Behring Breivik, the man who killed 77 people in a bomb attack and gun rampage - The guy was crazy, not a terrorist. EDIT: Sorry, he was charged with terrorism. It's just because most of the media I saw labelled him as a mass murderer.

If any one of these was a Muslim they would be a terrorist. Surely it's all terrorism?

I could kill 10 people and I would be crazy. If I shouted Allahu Akbar while I did it I'd be a terrorist.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Terrorism: "The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

Breivik was a terrorist (convicted of Terrorism, amongst other things, last August) because he did have political aims. I don't know where you got the idea that he wasn't a terrorist from.

The other two were just crazy loners, they didn't do it because of some political agenda.
(edited 10 years ago)
There's a difference between a psychopath and a terrorist a psychopath has a mental disorder due to genes, environmental factors, neurotransmitters and hormone balances whereas a terrorist is someone whose attacks were aggravated by political ideologies, racial, ethical or a religious agenda hence its classed as terrorism.
Reply 3
because 'terrorists' is a plural and you are one person
Reply 4
Being crazy and being a terrorist are not mutually exclusive.
Reply 5
Original post by pizzle223
Why?

Adam Lanza, 20, fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members in a mass murder at Sandy Hook Elementary School - The guy was crazy, not a terrorist.
James Holmes, the former PhD-student accused of killing 12 people in Colorado when he opened fire in a cinema - The guy was crazy, not a terrorist.
Anders Behring Breivik, the man who killed 77 people in a bomb attack and gun rampage - The guy was crazy, not a terrorist.

If any one of these was a Muslim they would be a terrorist. Surely it's all terrorism?

I could kill 10 people and I would be crazy. If I shouted Allahu Akbar while I did it I'd be a terrorist.

brevik was a terrorist, a right winger.

the others were mental cases, one i beleive was a previously diagnosed manic depressive, essentially they were serial killers.

terrorists have an agenda ( in their own minds) which they think they will achieve by killing civilians
Reply 6
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Terrorism: "The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

Breivik was a terrorist (convicted of Terrorism, amongst other things, last August) because he did have political aims. I don't know where you got the idea that he wasn't a terrorist from.

The other two were just crazy loners, they didn't do it because of some political agenda.

He wasn't blasted all over the news as a terrorist. Are you saying he was a perfectly sane person then? Because I'd say they're all just ****ing mental.

So how are is our government not a terrorist if that's the definition?
Original post by Mr Big
brevik was a terrorist, a right winger.

the others were mental cases, one i beleive was a previously diagnosed manic depressive, essentially they were serial killers.

terrorists have an agenda ( in their own minds) which they think they will achieve by killing civilians

I'm not sure I like the inference here that Bipolar people are 'mental cases', although you're correct about the distinction between terrorists and psychopaths.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Big

I dunno why people negged you for this?

Maybe it's because you're taking the piss out of my split personality disorder I don't remember telling anyone about.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr Big

So funny ...

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by DenzelRyder
There's a difference between a psychopath and a terrorist a psychopath has a mental disorder due to genes, environmental factors, neurotransmitters and hormone balances whereas a terrorist is someone whose attacks were aggravated by political ideologies, racial, ethical or a religious agenda hence its classed as terrorism.

So those two guys in Woolwich are perfectly sane people?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure they were.
So those two guys in Woolwich are perfectly sane people?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure they were.

i don't think anyone who take the life of innocent people is sane
Suppose you need some aim... The IRA wanted to see an end to partition (unify Ireland( and end persecution of Catholics under unionist rule. So they did that with bombs, guns and even going on hunger strike.

The Taliban want to see the end of christian civilization full stop, and impose sharia law. And just as a above they do this with bombs and guns and I think there has been hungers strikes. also

And the list goes on... The ANC, ETA, UVF, UDA ect. The above people you you mention don't have a political agenda (or have not stated it) And also worth noting is the old age saying 'one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter'

Hope that helped.
Reply 13
Someone already pointed that out mate.. good effort tho buddy (Y)
He wasn't blasted all over the news as a terrorist. Are you saying he was a perfectly sane person then? Because I'd say they're all just ****ing mental.

He WAS blasted all over the news in his country; yes, he was perfectly sane. That's why he has been prosecuted.

Breivik wasn't branded as a terrorist by the media dosnt matter what he was convicted of........

Of course I don't think he was sane. Anyone who kills 77 people has something wrong with them. But his reasons for doing it were motivated by his political beliefs, rather than the fact that he just wanted to kill people (although that may have played a part).

Also, yes, you could argue that our government is a terrorist organisation. I'm not saying you couldn't. Admittedly, I'd never thought of it like that. The definition I got was the first link on Google :rolleyes:

Surely several of the past politicians and military personnel are also Terrorists under this definition? Why is retaining political aims exempt but pursuing them isn't?
(edited 10 years ago)
Because the media are manipulative ***** who decide how the public recieve information thus controlling their reaction. #lyfe
Reply 19
Original post by KavanaghLondon
Suppose you need some aim... The IRA wanted to see an end to partition (unify Ireland( and end persecution of Catholics under unionist rule. So they did that with bombs, guns and even going on hunger strike.

The Taliban want to see the end of christian civilization full stop, and impose sharia law. And just as a above they do this with bombs and guns and I think there has been hungers strikes. also

And the list goes on... The ANC, ETA, UVF, UDA ect. The above people you you mention don't have a political agenda (or have not stated it) And also worth noting is the old age saying 'one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter'

Hope that helped.

Anyone who kills another human being 1) isn't sane 2) has an agenda. I'm sure all of those people I mentioned had a plan, even if they couldn't work out exactly what it is in their head. I've no doubt they all had a message they wanted to give to the world and did so through such an act of violence just as did the IRA, Taliban, ANC, ETA, UVF, UDA ect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending