The Student Room Group

Are UKCAT / BMAT / Interview Preparation Courses useful?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jo 123
I've booked into a ukcat course this June with a company called 'Medic Journey International', they came to talk at my school and were really good. Course is one day long and apparently it's meant to be useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning on taking an international course by them. How did you like your course ?
Original post by raz12356
Hi I'm a successful medical school appliant - got 4 offers
Firstly visit www.getintomedicalschools.com - they are amazing
1) Courses that will help you get into medical school at an affordable cost
Secondly DO NOT GO TO MEDLINK NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY ELSE SAYS
1) They are stupidly commericial - you can easily spend £500 in minutes - during every lecture they would try to sell you something - they only want to make money
2) Lectures never start on time - they would literally play music with people going on stage to dance before lectures - foolish
3) Everything they tell you can be found on the internet
4) 2000 people cramped in Nottingham University's sports hall - talk about health and safety! fell ill due to sitting in the same room for 2 hours with people coughing and sneezing
5) There were dodgy people around trying to nick things
6) That lecturer james is the saddest person you will ever meet - wants people to feel sorry for him by mentioning his tragic life story but on the inside he's a cold money minded person and talks a load of $£"!

Hey.. Which universities were you aiming for ? Your BMAT score ? If you don't mind me asking that is ! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Tanishqa
Hey.. Which universities were you aiming for ? Your BMAT score ? If you don't mind me asking that is ! :smile:

Hey UCL, Imperial, Birmingham and Leicester.
5.4, 6.4 & 3.5A was my BMAT score
I recommend booking a private tuition session from one of their tutors. I know them; really good! Skype tuition is just £19
Original post by raz12356
Hey UCL, Imperial, Birmingham and Leicester.
5.4, 6.4 & 3.5A was my BMAT score
I recommend booking a private tuition session from one of their tutors. I know them; really good! Skype tuition is just £19

That's wonderful ! I'll probably do that. Is their UKCAT course equally good ?
Reply 24
Original post by Razer_M
For UKCAT i used a 2 week Medify account and it was plenty, would definitely recommend (I told 4 friends about it and we all got 750+ scores! And the 4-5 medics in our school who didnt, got between 680-710. Could be coincidence/ chance but i thought it helped!

For BMAT i went on the BMAT crash course - WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND. For 'only' £60 it is far far cheaper than other courses, plus not only do you get taught all the science knowledge (I didn't take physics so it was a nice quick way of re learning electricity etc) but the best bit is the booklet with past paper solutions (2009-2012 ..but I am assuming they will put the 2013 solutions up for this year too) and they are SO helpful to see how to get to an answer.
Plus, I met the guy who runs the course by chance at PotMed at Imperial, and he recognised me and we had a good long talk about admissions/ life at Camb (he is 2nd year Emma medic) but best of all HE GAVE ME A MOCK INTERVIEW. Damn helpful. Great bunch of guys.

(and yes, they make a hell of a lot of money from the course, I asked him how much they had made that year and i was like WOW WTF at the answer)

Hiya, I was just wondering if PotMed was any good especially for interview help as I got an email about it from my tutor. Is it worth it or is it just like all the others?
Reply 25
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
Hmm, I can't say myself because I didn't attend any of these type of courses. I managed absolutely fine without them, I think there are plenty resources out there to use. However, saying that, they may help some people!

For the UKCAT - just practise, no matter how hopeless you feel. I hated the UKCAT but with months of practice, I improved loads. Used to get like high 500-low 600 scores and ended up with 740 in the end.

Good luck! :smile:

What technique did you use for Verbal Reasoning?
Reply 26
Original post by ash.qx
Hiya, I was just wondering if PotMed was any good especially for interview help as I got an email about it from my tutor. Is it worth it or is it just like all the others?

What technique are you sing for Verbal Reasoning?
Especially, the comprehension style questions
Reply 27
Whats your opinions on the UKCAt crash course or the course by Uni Admissions? When is the best time to start preparing and is there any books I should get now(currently in Lower 6th)?
Original post by Hamilh
Whats your opinions on the UKCAt crash course or the course by Uni Admissions? When is the best time to start preparing and is there any books I should get now(currently in Lower 6th)?

I started during August, around the 1st week of August. My exam was on the 1st of September, so it gave me a month to prepare which worked really well for me. UKCAT score in my bio if you want to know :h:
I wouldn't recommend starting any earlier than at most 2 months before your exam- you'll just run out of resources way too fast XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending