The Student Room Group

Official: University of Leeds A100 2023 entry Applicants and Offer Holders thread

Welcome to the Leeds A100 2023 entry discussion.

Leeds A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7089696

For general information click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/med...-surgery-mbchb

For entry requirements click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/med...mbchb#section3

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Does anyone know how the scoring works at Leeds ? Weighting given to GCSE’s / BMAT / achieved grades ? Do they give points for GCSE’s / A levels ?
Have asked Leeds , only got the following vague reply

“We take A-Level and GCSE (or equivalent) grades and BMAT scores into account to shortlist to interview. We do not provide breakdowns of our scoring system or the weighting of individual elements within this”
Original post by HopefulHarry
Hi,
Does anyone know how the scoring works at Leeds ? Weighting given to GCSE’s / BMAT / achieved grades ? Do they give points for GCSE’s / A levels ?
Have asked Leeds , only got the following vague reply

“We take A-Level and GCSE (or equivalent) grades and BMAT scores into account to shortlist to interview. We do not provide breakdowns of our scoring system or the weighting of individual elements within this”

Pretty sure there is a detailed breakdown of their scoring in a FOI somewhere which is full A level marks (8) for AAA, 5 marks for BMAT (they split the cohort into quintiles based on who applies) and something like 24 marks for GCSEs based on best 8, I think (3 marks for 8/9, 2 for 7, 1 for 6) and scoring core subjects as obligatory (so 8 8s but a 6 in Eng Lang still scores 22).

Historically applicants have only been able to lose 1 or 2 marks, and this may narrow with GCSE inflation this year.
Original post by becausethenight
Pretty sure there is a detailed breakdown of their scoring in a FOI somewhere which is full A level marks (8) for AAA, 5 marks for BMAT (they split the cohort into quintiles based on who applies) and something like 24 marks for GCSEs based on best 8, I think (3 marks for 8/9, 2 for 7, 1 for 6) and scoring core subjects as obligatory (so 8 8s but a 6 in Eng Lang still scores 22).

Historically applicants have only been able to lose 1 or 2 marks, and this may narrow with GCSE inflation this year.

Thanks - useful info to have. As far as anyone knows, no advantage to having achieved A levels / A*s ? The A level points are the same whether predicted or achieved ? Thks
Thanks - useful info to have. As far as anyone knows, no advantage to having achieved A levels / A*s ? The A level points are the same whether predicted or achieved ? Thks

Yes, they’ve historically been the same AFAIK.
Yes, they’ve historically been the same AFAIK.

Thanks ( is it only Leicester that prioritises achieved A levels / A* ? )
Thanks ( is it only Leicester that prioritises achieved A levels / A* ? )

A*s = Exeter, Barts, Scottish unis, Cambridge

There’s a few more than Leicester that advantage achieved grades - can’t remember off the top of my head but not that many. Have a look at uni websites.
A*s = Exeter, Barts, Scottish unis, Cambridge

There’s a few more than Leicester that advantage achieved grades - can’t remember off the top of my head but not that many. Have a look at uni websites.

Thanks 👍
Thanks 👍

PRSOM :smile:
hi do you think I have a chance for Leeds medicine with the following GCSE's?

im applying for access to Leeds so I dont know if this is different
and if you apply for access to Leeds do you have more of a chance to get an interview/ offer?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi all,

Can i just ask a follow up question on the GCSE scoring for Leeds please (expecting my GCSE results next week)

I can see that they score the best 8 including compulsory subjects, what are the compulsory subjects? specifically does that include English Literature?

The Leeds website states that you need a minimum of a grade 5 in Maths, English Language, Biology and Chemistry so not certain whether we can assume these are the only compulsory subjects that they will score?

Can anyone also clarify whether Further Maths can be included as one of the top 8?

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BILAL78612
hi do you think I have a chance for Leeds medicine with the following GCSE's?

im applying for access to Leeds so I dont know if this is different
and if you apply for access to Leeds do you have more of a chance to get an interview/ offer?

Hi,

I have just spent about 5 hours reading the entire Leeds 2022 thread, its worth reading but in short it does appear that unless you have perfect academic results GCSE and A level you won't get into Leeds, for GCSE that would mean at least 8 subjects at grade 8.

Not sure on the A2L requirements but looking at last years thread it looked like it did not make much difference if you applied for A2L.

The shortlisting process does appear to be rather random as well with some applicants with higher academics being rejected and those with lower resuts being accepted!! like I said earlier its worth reading last years thread to get a feel for things.
With grade inflation with GCSEs and all that would applying with 23/24 be risky? I have all 8/9 except english which are 7s. If so should I consider other unis like UCL that dont really look at gcses and just bmat and would that give me a better interview chance?
Original post by Maaa123
With grade inflation with GCSEs and all that would applying with 23/24 be risky? I have all 8/9 except english which are 7s. If so should I consider other unis like UCL that dont really look at gcses and just bmat and would that give me a better interview chance?

Hi. I am no expert, but you would loose 1 mark on your English language. It's not the end of the world because you can make it up elsewhere but It does depend how lucky you feel and how many other safe options you have.
Reply 14
Hello - What is Leeds A100 scoring criteria for 2022 or 2023? I could not find anything on their website?
Thanks.
Original post by Pes2022
Hi. I am no expert, but you would loose 1 mark on your English language. It's not the end of the world because you can make it up elsewhere but It does depend how lucky you feel and how many other safe options you have.

I got 2720 B2 on my ucat and thinking of applying to UEA, Aston, and ARU and was considering Liverpool but I've heard that their interview-to-offer ratio is not good
Is Grade Inflation any higher with the 2021 GCSE cohort than the 2020 one ? I posted on the Leeds offer holder thread & someone with less than perfect GCSE’s had an offer…( but I guess it also depends on BMAT score….)
(Original post by TINDI)Hello - What is Leeds A100 scoring criteria for 2022 or 2023? I could not find anything on their website?
Thanks.

I had a similar fruitless search; the 'selection process' link is broken I did find the following FOI though... https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a101_gateway_to_medicine_2021_ad#incoming-1830205
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Sofadeskchair
(Original post by TINDI)Hello - What is Leeds A100 scoring criteria for 2022 or 2023? I could not find anything on their website?
Thanks.

I had a similar fruitless search; the 'selection process' link is broken I did find the following FOI though... https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a101_gateway_to_medicine_2021_ad#incoming-1830205

Thanks
Hi guys, I just wanted to know if you achieved above an AAA at alevels will that mean your GCSE scoring would be 27/27 or 24/24 (depending on how many gcses they use) and your alevel scoring would be 8/8...totalling to around 35/40
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending