The Student Room Group

Arsey's M2 June 2013 Edexcel (BOTH UK + International) Solutions (in the first post)

EDIT - I have added my solutions to the original UK paper. This was a pretty easy paper!

My solutions to the June 2013 M2 (UK version) will be posted shortly. I may upload solutions to the International paper later today (Friday)

If I don't answer a question directed at me please do not get upset, any of the following could apply:

I might be busy;
your post might be too long;
I may not know the answer;
I may know the answer but have already answered the same question.

(take a few minutes to read the previous posts before asking a question)

I have turned off PMs, so your only option is to ask here. I had no choice but to turn off PMs due to daft messages/questions from muppets.

The grade boundaries will be primarily based upon how candidates have performed in the exam. There is NO point asking what would x / 75 be worth, no one knows. The boundaries will be released a day or two before results day. Official mark schemes will be released in July.

You require 240/300 UMS for an A in AS Maths / Further Maths

You require 480/600 UMS for an A in A2 Maths / Further Maths

You require 480/600 + 180/200 in C3/C4 for an A* in A2 Maths

You require 480/600 + 270/300 in your 3 best units* for an A* in A2 Further (*not inc FP1, D1, S1, M1 or C1-4).

M2 Paper Analysis

Q1. Impulse - easy

Q2. Dynamics on an inclined plane, WEP - standard, fairly easy

Q3. Linear kinematics - strange question, quite easy though. b) is very odd, 5 marks!????

Q4. CoM - Finding the CoM was easy but the angle is trickier than normal

Q5. Moments - a) and b) were easy, c) will be an epic bloodbath (only 4 marks though)

EDIT - I have cut the end part of the question to 5b) it was quite easy though, you just do SUVAT on the vertical. I seem to remember it was around 53

Q6. Projectiles - I thought this was pretty easy

Q7. Impulse - Pretty hard, but similar questions have been asked before.

Overall I think it was perhaps a little harder than normal, certainly more difficult than a few of the recent ones. WEP could have been a lot harder though.

Last few summer grade boundaries

Module Session 100' 90' 80' 70' 60' 50' 40'
M2 Jun-12 71 64.0 57 50 44 38 32
M2 Jun-11 75 71.5 68 61 54 47 40
M2 Jun-10 75 68.0 61 54 47 40 34
M2 Jun-09 75 68.5 62 54 46 39 32
M2 Jun-08 75 69.5 64 56 49 42 35
M2 Jun-07 72 65.0 58 51 44 37 31
M2 Jun-06 72 65.0 58 51 44 37 31

I would be inclined to guess at boundaries similar to June 06/07

I have now added my solutions to the International paper. It was massively harder than the UK paper. I am quite annoyed at this situation, it really is a lottery now whether or not you get a hard or easy paper; Edexcel need to put more effort into making the papers of comparable difficulty. My students took M2 in Jan and D2 in June. The International D2 paper was far easier, I am confident my students, regardless of boundaries, would have done much better on the International D2 paper.

t
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks Arsey You Put AQA rather than Edexcel and note i gave the first Thumbs Up
Reply 2
Original post by Arsey
My solutions to the June 2013 M2 (UK version) will be posted shortly. I may upload solutions to the International paper later today (Friday)

If I don't answer a question directed at me please do not get upset, any of the following could apply:

I might be busy;
your post might be too long;
I may not know the answer;
I may know the answer but have already answered the same question.

(take a few minutes to read the previous posts before asking a question)

I have turned off PMs, so your only option is to ask here. I had no choice but to turn off PMs due to daft messages/questions from muppets.

The grade boundaries will be primarily based upon how candidates have performed in the exam. There is NO point asking what would x / 75 be worth, no one knows. The boundaries will be released a day or two before results day. Official mark schemes will be released in July.

You require 240/300 UMS for an A in AS Maths / Further Maths

You require 480/600 UMS for an A in A2 Maths / Further Maths

You require 480/600 + 180/200 in C3/C4 for an A* in A2 Maths

You require 480/600 + 270/300 in your 3 best units* for an A* in A2 Further (*not inc FP1, D1, S1, M1 or C1-4).

M2 Paper Analysis

Q1. Impulse - easy

Q2. Dynamics on an inclined plane, WEP - standard, fairly easy

Q3. Linear kinematics - strange question, quite easy though. b) is very odd, 5 marks!????

Q4. CoM - Finding the CoM was easy but the angle is trickier than normal

Q5. Moments - a) and b) were easy, c) will be an epic bloodbath (only 4 marks though)

Q6. Projectiles - I thought this was pretty easy

Q7. Impulse - Pretty hard, but similar questions have been asked before.

Overall I think it was perhaps a little harder than normal, certainly more difficult than a few of the recent ones. WEP could have been a lot harder though.

Last few summer grade boundaries

ModuleSession100'90'80'70'60'50'40'
M2Jun-127164.05750443832
M2Jun-117571.56861544740
M2Jun-107568.06154474034
M2Jun-097568.56254463932
M2Jun-087569.56456494235
M2Jun-077265.05851443731
M2Jun-067265.05851443731

I would be inclined to guess at boundaries similar to June 06/07

Arsey, how many marks do you think you'd lose for the integration question for only doing it between 4 and 0 instead of 4 to 2 and 2 to 0? Thanks
also for question 7b I didn't realise it said leave in just terms of u, so I didnt sub in the value for e. ended up with 6/20(e+1)u, which is correct but not simplified. Reckon ill only lose one for this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for this, Arsey. :smile: Hoping it went okay.
Reply 4
do you think it being a replacement paper makes any difference at all regarding difficulty? just curious as to your view on the matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks very much for the solutions Arsey :biggrin: PRSOM
Reply 6
The reason that 5c is only 4 marks is because the expected you to take moments about C as the reaction force doesn't exert a moment about C.
That just confirmed it then. Probably 55 is my max mark :-/
Original post by MathsNerd1
That just confirmed it then. Probably 55 is my max mark :-/

Same Here PMSL That Probably a Grade B maybe we may scape a A
Reply 9
Hi Arsey,

What was up with q3b, and how many marks do you think I would get for doing the usual method of substituting time when acceleration = 0 and just using that. It seemed odd that a 5 mark question could be answered just by looking at the y-intercept.

Thanks.
Reply 10
Imagine What out Actual Paper Was Like, Prob. Easier
Original post by TheMineSweeper
Same Here PMSL That Probably a Grade B maybe we may scape a A

I let too much pressure get to me which caused me to drop like about 10-12 marks, there were parts that I literally couldn't do like the a/b as I started to square add them together and square root it and it was awful so just gave in and moved on really. I need low boundaries.
Could have got full marks but on the very last question I wrote down the 2 fractions you had to add up to get the answer but then wrote down the wrong final answer for some reason -_- I guess I'd lose 1 mark for that, maybe 2 if I was unlucky?
Reply 14
do you think grade boundaries will be similar to june 2012 arsey
Reply 15
Thanks a lot arsey. I agree with 3b, i worked out the time at no acc to get -4.5, but did not realise that the max speed was actually 20, dont know how many marks I dropped because of that. Other than that everything else seems good!
A couple of questions,

1) In Q3 B, if I just stupidly ignored the +20, and used the value I found by setting a=0, how many marks does anyone think I might get? (Basically all but the last line of Arsey's working)

2) When using the cosine rule in Q4 B, I stupidly made a calculator error, thinking the '2bc' part was 1, not 2, meaning my final answer was wrong, even though my method and working was fine.. How many of the 6 marks should I lose?
Reply 17
Anyone what to make a gueess of the grade boundaries??
I think i dropped 15 marks, which is disapointing but atleast it was a hard paper so hopefully the ums marks are as predicted
Couldn't do 3c or or 4b. Managed to do 5c somehow though :biggrin: Still.. that's pretty much my hopes of an A* in this gone.

Original post by Arsey
x

Arsey, how many marks do you think I will get if I drew the same triangle in 4b, found one of the angles to be 120, and attempted the sine rule? I think I got as far as putting something like:
sinθ /0.5=sin120/a
Didn't know how to work out a though :s-smilie:
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending