The Student Room Group

I'm so confused! Can you retake a new set of A-levels as a mature student?

I graduated A-levels from my local college in summer 2012 and have completed my first year of a Sports-related degree since, however I'm really trying to find out information about changing my degree and study a completely new subject. I'm really not enjoying my course and I know it's going to be very difficult to try and find a job related after graduation. Before taking a different degree, I may need to study a new-set of A-levels to meet the requirements and was just wondering; at 19 years of age, would I be able to study new A-levels at a college. From a universities perspective, would this also been seen as a second sitting of A-levels, because I'm not retaking the A-levels I graduated from, but wanting to study new ones. I'm so confused? Can someone please be able to explain and as an example could anyone please be able to link me to a college website showing mature students being able to pick an A-level course if it is possible?

Thank you
Reply 1
'Ello. I don't know about linking you to anywhere, but I'm a mature student about to finish my first year of A levels. I gained a qualification when I graduated from my first college in 2007 - a BTec National Diploma, which is equivalent to 3 A levels. I then got a job in retail and realised I was going to get nowhere, so started college at a different one in September to do four A levels.

I'm not sure how universities would see it unfortunately... I like to think that they'll see it as dedication to getting a good career. If you've started a degree and realised it's not the right one for you, then I can't see it being a problem. Not every course is suited to everyone. As long as you don't have a history of starting then dropping out of courses, you should be fine. And it won't be seen as a second sitting - that's only if you're retaking a year in the same subjects you've just done.

I think individual colleges have different methods for accepting mature students so I can't comment on how your chosen college would accept you, I know some colleges have age limits for A levels. Thankfully, I found a fantastic college who accepted me to start when I was 23. Might be worth ringing up the one you want to study at to see what your options are. Shouldn't be much of a problem though if you're doing new subjects - as far as I'm aware, there isn't a limit on how many qualifications you can have! Just depends on the individual college policies.

Best of luck to you :smile:
Hey. You can do A-Levels at any age, I had a look on a couple of college websites that are near me and they don't mention anything about an age restriction. I know of a few people in their late 20's doing A-levels and they got onto them no problem. The only problem you might have with some of the A-Levels is they might require that subject at GCSE standard but as long as you've got those you'll be fine.

I'm not sure what will happen in terms of funding etc. if you've already done A-Levels but you can contact the individual college about that :smile: Hope that helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending