The Student Room Group

Realistic university aim

Hi all, I'd like some help in getting an idea of what my university prospects might be as my situation is quite unusual.

I'm a mature student and I've just completed two A-levels which I completed alongside a job and community voluntary commitments. I got high marks on my assignments and my tutors said that I was an A-grade student. But I think I set myself a bit too much of a challenge by embarking on A-levels independently (I had tutors that I send assignments to get marked but I'm on my own apart from that) and consequently I got really behind on assignments. Therefore my exams didn't go too well.

I'll be taking an exam for a third subject next summer, and plan on retaking both of the subjects that I just completed exams for. I'll be taking a new approach to ensure that I'm able to keep on track.

My question is: If I were to do well in my exams next year, considering my journey so far, what standard of university might I realistically be able to aim for?

Since before I started A levels I've known exactly what degree and career I want to go into and I'm very passionate about the subjects around that. As a mature student, I also have good real-world experience. I'd love to be able to go to a good university.

Many thanks for your help,

Jonny
Original post by Jonny Ashley
Hi all, I'd like some help in getting an idea of what my university prospects might be as my situation is quite unusual.

I'm a mature student and I've just completed two A-levels which I completed alongside a job and community voluntary commitments. I got high marks on my assignments and my tutors said that I was an A-grade student. But I think I set myself a bit too much of a challenge by embarking on A-levels independently (I had tutors that I send assignments to get marked but I'm on my own apart from that) and consequently I got really behind on assignments. Therefore my exams didn't go too well.

I'll be taking an exam for a third subject next summer, and plan on retaking both of the subjects that I just completed exams for. I'll be taking a new approach to ensure that I'm able to keep on track.

My question is: If I were to do well in my exams next year, considering my journey so far, what standard of university might I realistically be able to aim for?

Since before I started A levels I've known exactly what degree and career I want to go into and I'm very passionate about the subjects around that. As a mature student, I also have good real-world experience. I'd love to be able to go to a good university.

Many thanks for your help,

Jonny

Some universities have an issue with candidates who needed to re-take their A levels, but it's not like these are all a specific "class" or "type" of university.

For example, LSE say here, "Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations." and UCL say here "We are unable to accept an A level (or equivalent) resit result, unless the first attempt result was impacted by extenuating circumstances".

Other universities vary this policy by subject. For example, King's say here that, "For some of our very competitive courses, you should bear in mind that your application will be reviewed alongside other strong applicants, who might be viewed more favourably if they achieved the required grades within the standard study period, for example, two years for A-levels." Then then point out that "If a programme includes any requirements regarding applicants that have re-sat their qualifications, this will be clearly stated under the ‘Entry requirements’ tab for your chosen programme of study." Similarly, Imperial say here that, "Applicants for medical programmes are required to achieve the three required A levels in one sitting." (The implication is that this policy does not apply to non-medical programmes."

There are many other fine universities which don't have this sort of restriction at all - for any course. For example, Durham say here that, "You don’t have to have studied your A levels in one sitting, as we will accept grades achieved in different years."

Did you have any particular universities in mind?
Reply 2
Which course would you apply for and which A levels are you taking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending