The Student Room Group

Do unis take into account the grades of a 7th subject?

Hi :smile:
So I'm currently in year 11, going into year 12 next year. The subjects that i'm taking are:

HL:
English Lit.
Geography
French B

SL:
Maths
Biology
History
Spanish B

Are the grades of all seven subjects sent in? Or is it only those which you do best in?

Reply 1
The results of all will be sent in but only 6 will qualify for your overall diploma points (normally those you do best in but depending on legitimate subject combinations :smile: ) uni's will probably only cae about your diploma points though, especially as your 7th subject is at standard level (unis only really care about specific points in HL subjects as long as your overall score is high enough).

But one question: why would you ever want to do 7 subjects? I've just finished and I'm not stupid but 6 subjects was hard enough. If you want no sleep and no social life for the next 2 years then go ahead, but I would strongly recommend against it.

If you have anymore questions just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gravesy
The results of all will be sent in but only 6 will qualify for your overall diploma points (normally those you do best in but depending on legitimate subject combinations :smile: ) uni's will probably only cae about your diploma points though, especially as your 7th subject is at standard level (unis only really care about specific points in HL subjects as long as your overall score is high enough).

But one question: why would you ever want to do 7 subjects? I've just finished and I'm not stupid but 6 subjects was hard enough. If you want no sleep and no social life for the next 2 years then go ahead, but I would strongly recommend against it.

If you have anymore questions just ask :smile:

Thanks for the quick answer :smile:
I'm doing 7 subjects cause I love love love history, but want to keep up spanish, which is one of my strengths. If things go as planned, I would take my spanish exam at the end of year 12 and get it out of the way so in reality I would only have 6 subjects in year 13. Also, I'm pretty sure I could achieve a 7 in the spanish, not so sure I could get a 7 in history.
Besides, I could always drop one if it gets too much.
What do you mean when you say legitimate subject combinations?
Reply 3
By legitimate subject combinations I mean you have to make sure you have one subject from each group (except group 6 which can be replaced by any subject).

Say for example If you got higher in spanish and history than you did in maths, maths would still have to be included in your overall points total for your diploma, and either history or spanish would not.

I hope this makes sense :P
Reply 4
Original post by gravesy
By legitimate subject combinations I mean you have to make sure you have one subject from each group (except group 6 which can be replaced by any subject).

Say for example If you got higher in spanish and history than you did in maths, maths would still have to be included in your overall points total for your diploma, and either history or spanish would not.

I hope this makes sense :P

Thanks a lot, yeah it makes sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending