The Student Room Group

What to wear for UK winter?

For uni I am starting to pack things as i will be going over next month and staying with family till uni starts.
Just wondering what kind of clothes to bring and how many layers you usually wear.
As i come from a hot country i have hardly any wintery clothes...
For winter I'd bring thick jumpers, a warm coat, hat/scarf/gloves, waterproof shoes for snow and rain, maybe invest in some thermals and cosy pyjamas. Definitely bring an umbrella haha. I usually wear a long sleeve top with a jumper and jeans or leggings underneath trousers when it's really cold! :smile:
Reply 2
Crocs and a farmyard animal onesie should see you through.
if you're from another country there's no point wasting valuable luggage space on bulky winter clothes! just buy it when you're here.
i wear thick coats, thick knit cardigans, jeans (maybe with tights underneath if it's really cold) or wooly tights (maybe two pairs), boots and most definitely gloves.
Reply 4
See above.
Reply 5
It can get very very cold, especially if you're living outside of a city or the further north of the country you go.

Layers are your friend. At its coldest in London I wear two thick wooly jumpers a cardigan and a coat! If you're a girl tights are a must, I always wear them under my clothes even if I'm wearing jeans/trousers and if you're a boy leg warmers under your jeans will be a God send.

Hats, gloves and scarves are also a must, and thick socks too.
Reply 6
Things to layer (t-shirts, jumpers, cardigans) would be good to bring over. And maybe a pair of boots (waterproof! just for everyday) or sturdy waterproof shoes (snow).

But things like winter coats, hats, scarves and tights would probably be best to get over here. I wouldn't waste suitcase space and you *shouldn't* really need a coat before October (where I am haha). I don't think they're selling the stuff in stores now, but with student discounts and sales you could probably get a good deal (on something like a coat).
Reply 7
I have 3 layers on mostly but it's actually just 2 pieces of clothing! I have a double layered fur jacket I got from forever 21! It's so warm! Underneath I wear a wool jersey :smile:
Somedays you may need a few jumpers, the next day you might need a rain coat and the day after that you might need some shorts.
Reply 9
I've got a thermal t-shirt or two that I wear in the winter sometimes too. Might be worth it if you get cold very easily (and I suspect if you're from a hot country, you probably will).
Sometimes the weather can be on and off or really humid. On cold days I tend to wear a long sleeved top with a tshirt or jumper over, and then a thick coat or a warm jacket. That way if it get too hot you can take a layer off and put it in your bag. For the really bad months such as December I'd invest in thermal vests and a thick warm coat. Also wearing leggings under jeans or wearing two pairs of tights and thick socks with a pair of boots is a good idea. My doc martens keep my feet toasty :P
As has been suggested, you might want to buy jumpers etc here. They're bulky and might be cheaper here seeing as the supply is greater.

In the winter I wear a t-shirt with a jumper/cardigan on top. And have quite a thick coat with a hood for when I got outside. I also wear tights/football socks under my trousers. So I would suggest getting a few pairs of these as well as a couple of thermal vests.

Also, make sure you have waterproof shoes. You don't want to be walking round in the rain/snow with canvass shoes !

In the summer I wear pyjamas that are t-shirts and shorts essentially. But in the winter I wear full length pjs, so make sure you have a couple of pairs of these that are nice and warm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I have to say it varies a lot depending where you are. I currently live in coastal Wales and found this winter a nice pair of winter boots a hoody and a hat plenty warm enough. In all honesty it was a warm winter -9 min. However I have experienced -18 in central wales and found my snow boarding jacket really lovely warm and waterproof, definetly warm boots and sometimes wellies with thick socks are nice as they are waterproof and have no laces to let snow in. I guess being from a warm country you may have a lower tollerance to cold so be prepared. A thermal base layer is also really good you can get extra layers over the top and it really helps. Gloves and also I have a really long chunky knit scarf I dont use it much but nice on a windy cold day as I can wrap it around my face quite a few days and cover my nose. As a weird one lipsil or vaseline the cold really does dry you lips out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending