The Student Room Group

How do your family get warm in winter

use coal, gas or renewable energy?
Reply 1
Wear extra layers :smile:
Reply 2
bludgeon seals to warm us up
Reply 3
I put my thick dressing gown on over my clothes if I'm in the house. Also I have plenty of blankets. Nice to have a soft, thick blanket over my legs if I am watching TV at night.
I can't remember the last time I didn't feel warm with all these heatwaves lately...can't even conceive of having to turn the heating on at this rate!
Original post by gjd800
bludgeon seals to warm us up

Bludgeon seals? In this day and age? Back in my day, we'd have to track down the most innocent looking Sea Lion we could, and batter it to death with a rolled up frozen newspaper!
Reply 6
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Wear extra layers :smile:

Original post by markova21
I put my thick dressing gown on over my clothes if I'm in the house. Also I have plenty of blankets. Nice to have a soft, thick blanket over my legs if I am watching TV at night.

Don·t you use any energy to get warm?
Reply 7
Original post by jnpx321
Don·t you use any energy to get warm?

When it's very cold I light a coal fire. The fireplace has a back boiler, so when the fire is hot enough, it also heats up every radiator and also heats up the water. ( I live in a semi rural area in the north of Ireland, if you're wondering why I have a coal fire). We also have oil which runs the central heating, but the thing hasn't worked properly for years, and the landlord has no interest in fixing it.
Reply 8
Original post by markova21
When it's very cold I light a coal fire. The fireplace has a back boiler, so when the fire is hot enough, it also heats up every radiator and also heats up the water. ( I live in a semi rural area in the north of Ireland, if you're wondering why I have a coal fire). We also have oil which runs the central heating, but the thing hasn't worked properly for years, and the landlord has no interest in fixing it.

I live in China, so I understand coal fire
Does your area lack oil and coal, so "the thing hasn't worked properly for years“?
Electric blanket
Oodies

:smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Chronoscope
Electric blanket
Oodies

:smile:

Seems electric blanket can only make you warm when you sleep. How about getting warm when you do activities in your house(such as watching TV etc)?
Wooly sweaters and socks. Very rarely turn the heating on as my flat is very warm.

Original post by jnpx321
I live in China, so I understand coal fire
Does your area lack oil and coal, so "the thing hasn't worked properly for years“?

The area has a ******** landlord, by the sound of things...
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by black tea
Wooly sweaters and socks. Very rarely turn the heating on as my flat is very warm.

The are has a ******** landlord, by the sound of things...

Wow! It`s amazing that your home can be warm without heating
Well, the winters in the UK are very mild these days, so there is no need to use heating anymore. I've not bothered with mine in years.
Original post by jnpx321
Seems electric blanket can only make you warm when you sleep. How about getting warm when you do activities in your house(such as watching TV etc)?

I kind of electric overblanket i have is the more portable one and works as an actual blanket, rather than the one that jsut stays under the bed sheets :yep:
Just wanted to add that I currently live alone, as my son has been living with his girlfriend for the last 18 months. When he lived here, he was forever on at the landlord to sort out the heating. Never made much difference. Personally, I can't be bothered as he won't sort it anyway. So I just make sure I have lots of layers on me and I'm fine.
Put the heating on

Quick Reply

Latest