The Student Room Group

Feminists anger over bank notes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Dougz
All Florence nightingale did was keep things clean and it was because she believed in miasmas... Not bacteria the death rate in the hospital increased when she was there also

That argument it totally flawed

also it's not fair to say that a women's achievement is more credible just because she is a wowoman for example first woman doctor etexcite the same achievement a man made

This is your actual comment from earlier.
Reply 221
Original post by Dougz
I agree with the point that its silly for feminists to get upset about this....
Li feel they frequently claim they want equality but only if it favours them..... For example at least 50% of employees have to be female which means that there's basically always more females than makes in a lot of corporate companies which is ridiculous but I would say hat your argument is flawed
churchill is massively overreacted and did a lot of bad for example returning 20,000 soldering to Stalin knowing everyone would be shot and over looks that Katy's massacre knowing full well that it was Russia and not Germany lot of things about the Cold War are overlooked because of ww1 which is wrong but whilst I disagree with your reason why I totally agree with your argument

This is my comment from earlier which I told your to read

i did not slate Florence nightingale and how many times do I have to say that she achieved a lot before it goes into your head

yes she did achieve less than Churchill but that is beside the point. I already said I think aneurin Bevin would be more aappropriate
you are trying to tell what what I believe which is absolutely ridicululous as I've said three times that agree with your point but your argument for it is not a good one

That's your opinion, you're telling me something as if it is a fact, it is an opinion, as I've said many times the argument that you think I'm making is not that at all!
Reply 222
Original post by Howard
They're not real men though. The real men in medicine become highly paid surgeons, drive expensive cars, and bang all the nurses on the side.

Think you've been watching too much casualty
Original post by ThatPerson
The poster did say during the war. Although I do agree with Rosalind Franklin, I disagree with the other 2.

Besides, a woman doesn't have to be on a bank note. Maybe next time round they can put a woman on a note, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

Oh I agree it's a silly thing for feminists to get upset about as they are just bank notes, as I'd said in my first post. I was just annoyed that OP said he didn't think any women had achieved enough to be noteworthy, I was not trying to compare these women to Churchill :smile:
Original post by tibbles209
Positive discrimination is as bad as negative. I absolutely agree that what sex the person is should play no role whatsoever in deciding who to honour on our bank notes. Honour the people who have done the most for our country, regardless of sex.

:clap2:
Reply 225
Original post by lele93
That's your opinion, you're telling me something as if it is a fact, it is an opinion, as I've said many times the argument that you think I'm making is not that at all!

and as I said before..... there is no point in arguing opinion
Original post by redpanda41
I don't think there's any malicious intent behind the decision, but I do think it rather questionable that there apparently isn't one woman deemed worthy enough to feature on a bank note (apart from the Queen, who is there by accident of birth). After all, the only reason women haven't historically been as prominent in their achievements as men is because of their historical oppression, politically and socially. Whilst these men were doing their undoubtedly great deeds, they were probably supported by the women in their lives who worked just as hard and without credit in running their households. As women do make up 50% of the population, I think it would be the least they could manage to find one to put on a bank note - and I'm sure there are plenty of great women to choose from. I don't think that's a lot to ask really.

I would tend to agree with this, although I wouldnt agree with "women do make up 50% of the population, I think it would be the least they could manage to find one to put on a bank note" as that has a connotation of just putting a woman there for the sake of it.

Im in no way saying that Churchill isn't worthy or being on the note and I don't believe in putting a woman on there for the sake of a woman being on there, but what I do believe is that the process should be one of fair consideration. As the person I quoted said, women make up 50% of the population, but by in large, men are deemed to have done more for society, especially historically, simply because up until very recently, women were repressed from positions of power or influence. This however does not mean that there isn't a large pool of women to choose from, who have achieved great things for society and I think they should be fairly represented.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Churchill was personally responsible for the Black and Tans, and also the Auxiliaries in Ireland, who killed a lot of civilians. Even George V was horrified with what they got up to, and this did tarnish Churchill's reputation, both in Britain and Ireland. However the events of WWII made him a National Hero, and on the whole, rehabilitated him.

So if Hitler done whatever it was that he done to rehabilitate himself, would he be on bank notes?
Original post by HopefulMidwife
So if Hitler done whatever it was that he done to rehabilitate himself, would he be on bank notes?
There is no chance of Hitlers reputation ever being rehabilitated, after killing 6 million Jews in the Holocaust, is there?

I'm no Churchill fan, but his leadership of Great Britain in WWII went a long way to repairing his reputation, which was damaged after the Irish War of Independence.
Original post by LordBradburn
Nah I think they should have a gay black working class disabled muslim woman

gender fluid*
Of all the things feminists could be angry about like unequal pay, under-representation in politics, under-representation in the board-room, slut-shaming etc they pick this?
Reply 231
Original post by Dinasaurus
gender fluid*

But then you're oppressing the gendergas transspecies cissublinated types.
Original post by Tabris
But then you're oppressing the gendergas transspecies cissublinated types.

There seems to be no way of not offending someone or something, we must eliminate any form of majority. Cull the population down so the remaining few share no traits..

Original post by The Mad Dog
Of all the things feminists could be angry about like unequal pay, under-representation in politics, under-representation in the board-room, slut-shaming etc they pick this?

Oh they are angry about those issues, fuming really all the while also being angry about this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wildrover
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346372/Woman-oust-Churchill-new-5-note-feminists-say-time-change.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Basically Churchill has been chosen to replaces Elizabeth Fry in the £5 note instead of another woman. I think it is a ridiculous thing to complain about because no woman has achieved as much as Churchill did during the war and in my opinion he is fully deserving of featuring on the £5 note. I do not believe in positive discrimination and think that people should be chosen on their merits and not because of their sexual organs. It is annoying that because of this uproar we are likely to get a woman on the £10 note when that is next changed, when their are people like Nelson who deserve national recognition.

I imagine people are upset because Churchill was incredibly bigoted (Racist, Homophobic, Sexist, etc...)

I would much rather see Elizabeth Fry on my money myself, though ideally I wouldn't want the Queen on it either :tongue:
Still yet to see a feminist name a woman more influential than Churchill.
Feminists argue for equality (apparently), yet want a woman on a bank note based not on her achievements but based on her gender.
Reply 235
Page 3 Girl for the banknote please
If they're gonna get all high and mighty over women being on a bank note, why don't they look on every piece of English currency they own and see the Queen?
Reply 237
Winston Churchill helped win the war, even though it meant killing many innocent civilians he was willing to commit acts of genocide to beat the Germans and he did.

There were no good side on that war and don't let them tell you otherwise.
Reply 238
Take this article with a pinch of salt. It's the Daily Fail remember?
Original post by wildrover
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346372/Woman-oust-Churchill-new-5-note-feminists-say-time-change.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Basically Churchill has been chosen to replaces Elizabeth Fry in the £5 note instead of another woman. I think it is a ridiculous thing to complain about because no woman has achieved as much as Churchill did during the war and in my opinion he is fully deserving of featuring on the £5 note. I do not believe in positive discrimination and think that people should be chosen on their merits and not because of their sexual organs. It is annoying that because of this uproar we are likely to get a woman on the £10 note when that is next changed, when their are people like Nelson who deserve national recognition.

This is completely incorrect. People are not getting annoyed because Churchill is replacing Elizabeth Fry, they are getting annoyed because there are now absolutely no women on the banknotes, which I agree is insulting and grossly misleading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending