The Student Room Group

AH English Suggested Texts

I will begin S6 in August and will be taking AH English. Before we parted for term I did not have time to consult with an English teacher about what sort of preparation I should do over the summer.

Does anyone who has taken AH English have any suggestions what sort of texts I could read in time for August?
It would depend on what texts you'll be studying with your teacher - I know, for example, that I'm doing Chekhov and The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald, among others. If you don't have any kind of reading list, though, just reading classics will probably do you in good stead.
Reply 2
Are you allowed to choose your own texts for AH English? I really want to do some preparation over the Summer instead of it being a mad rush when we return to school. We haven't had the chance to discuss the outline etc for AH English...:O.
Reply 3
Original post by AmisThysia
It would depend on what texts you'll be studying with your teacher - I know, for example, that I'm doing Chekhov and The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald, among others. If you don't have any kind of reading list, though, just reading classics will probably do you in good stead.

Is that for your dissertation? If not, when I did AH English (last year), the texts for Fitzgerald within the literary study section were Tender is the Night and The Beautiful and Damned. We didn't study him but we considered it.
Original post by Jenny.T
Are you allowed to choose your own texts for AH English? I really want to do some preparation over the Summer instead of it being a mad rush when we return to school. We haven't had the chance to discuss the outline etc for AH English...:O.

For your dissertation, yes. At least, I know we are at my school, and that seems to be the way the SQA intends. If you want to prepare over summer, read classics, so you can start thinking about which ones you'd like to discuss in your dissertation.

Original post by Quick-use
Is that for your dissertation? If not, when I did AH English (last year), the texts for Fitzgerald within the literary study section were Tender is the Night and The Beautiful and Damned. We didn't study him but we considered it.

No, we make our own decisions for our dissertations. Those texts are, I believe, being studied so we have material to answer the questions in the exam? I'm not entirely sure, the details were a little sketchy on why we are studying those texts in class. But our decisions for our dissertations are almost entirely independently made.
Reply 5

No, we make our own decisions for our dissertations. Those texts are, I believe, being studied so we have material to answer the questions in the exam? I'm not entirely sure, the details were a little sketchy on why we are studying those texts in class. But our decisions for our dissertations are almost entirely independently made.

I meant, are you studying The Great Gatsby for your dissertation or the literary study because I'm not sure if The Great Gatsby is studied for the literary study. I think I'm being confusing - nevermind. :redface:
Original post by Quick-use
I meant, are you studying The Great Gatsby for your dissertation or the literary study because I'm not sure if The Great Gatsby is studied for the literary study. I think I'm being confusing - nevermind. :redface:

No, no, I see what you mean - and honestly, I'm not sure. ._. I've just checked past papers and you're right, the Fitzgerald questions for the Literary Study section are on Tender is the Night and The Beautiful and Damned. Therefore, I can only assume we're studying The Great Gatsby as an option for our dissertation, although my teacher said we were allowed to select any texts we wished to. All in all, I'm rather nonplussed.
Reply 7
Luckily before we left everyone has sorted out what they're doing for their dissertation, I'd say try and avoid cliché novels and avoid dystopias unless they are novels that have not been 'done to death', I'd suggest Dostoyevsky :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

Did you come up with your own question? Or did your teacher?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending