The Student Room Group

Insurance claim, i am truely in the ****. help !

So the other day i was going onto a mini round about. this guy came quite fast from the right and hit my door. he tried braking but couldnt stop. i seriously didnt see him. his wife in the passenger seat was also pregnant. anyway the damage to his car was literary nothing. a broken number plate only. i said ill pay for his damage etc and not go through insurance. regardless we called paramedics and got his ife checked up. he texted me later to say she was fine and that no one was injured and asked for my insurance details. i gave him those. he then went onto make an injury claim. i dont know what the figure is but it is going to be big.

Now my problem is if i lose this case which im likely to do. My insurance company will investigate my policy. im a named driver and my insurance has a lot of holes which will most like void my insurance. only reason this is because insurance on my name in my area is 400 a month cheapest. i simply cannot afford that.

Does any one have any suggestions on how i can end this situation? I dont want to have to pay 10, 20 grand and have my license, insurance and credit record completely ruined before my life has even started. what can i do? My parents are not very healthy either and wont take well to any sort of bad news. someone help?
It's best to go through your insurance company. As long as you have a valid policy and were allowed to be driving the vehicle, they will cover the 3rd party damage. If I were you, I would talk to your insurance company as soon as possible. Report the accident and see what happens. By offering to pay for the damage to his vehicle it might be construed as admitting guilt, which will mean that you will have already lost. But whatever way it might work out, you have to go through your insurance company.
Reply 2
I don't think you can :s-smilie: unless there was proof he was driving too fast...
Reply 3
Original post by Mr lova lova
my insurance has a lot of holes which will most like void my insurance

No one can advise you any further unless you expand on this point... What are you hiding?

I was in a similar accident, rear bump, no problems swapped details, shook hands and off we went. Two weeks later he's phoning me telling me his Mrs got whiplash and wants to claim...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Without going into the various "holes" you claim your policy has, you had better hope that you insurance company doesn't get wind of what you've concealed from them.

If you let the claim go through uncontested, the company should just pay out the 3rd party without asking too many questions. The case seems fairly cut and dried in that you emerged onto a mini-roundabout into the path of a car from your right - without giving way to it - resulting in a collision. As long as the policy is in force, you are named on the policy and were driving in accordance with your licence, there is nothing more for the company to go digging for, as you are not trying to gain anything from the claim yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by porkchoc
I don't think you can :s-smilie: unless there was proof he was driving too fast...

not a factor in this case, you must always give way to the right
Reply 6
Original post by xsnackpack
not a factor in this case, you must always give way to the right

But if OP drove out when there was no one there, then the other driver raced in too fast for anyone to stop, it is the other driver's fault
Reply 7
Original post by porkchoc
But if OP drove out when there was no one there, then the other driver raced in too fast for anyone to stop, it is the other driver's fault

That's not the way insurance companies will look at it. It's quite like when someone rear ends you. It's very difficult for the person who hit the rear of the other person's car to deny guilt, even if the other person braked harshly.
Reply 8
I would be admitting liability asap and hoping that the insurance company dont pick up on the issues that might void the policy. You're more than likely to be found at fault anyway considering the accident circumstances. You've got virtually no chance of proving speeding.

Your insurance company will be compelled to pay out if you are found at fault/admit fault but if your policy is voided then they will seek what they pay out in damages and third party solicitors costs directly from you.

Bear in mind that by you not admitting liability straightaway to your insurance will probably lead to increased TP solicitors costs (which you may ultimately be responsible for).
Reply 9
Had similar happen in a car park, pulled out a space and some fool when into side of me. I'd let your insurance company know he had already previously agreed to settle it privately, and if you got the texts confirming she's ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
The texts or agreeing to settle it privately dont make any difference.
Reply 11
If both parties have agreed to settle it privately and not informed either insurance company within 24 or 48 hours. Then they aren't as quick to pay out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thats not true. Makes no difference as to whether the insurance company has to pay out.

In this scenario, they will have to pay out because he will be found at fault. He/she is just increasing his/her potential liability by not admitting fault.
Reply 13
From experience I disagree 10+ years driving and too many accidents or in the least I'd say stay away from swiftcover.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Advisor
Without going into the various "holes" you claim your policy has, you had better hope that you insurance company doesn't get wind of what you've concealed from them.

If you let the claim go through uncontested, the company should just pay out the 3rd party without asking too many questions. The case seems fairly cut and dried in that you emerged onto a mini-roundabout into the path of a car from your right - without giving way to it - resulting in a collision. As long as the policy is in force, you are named on the policy and were driving in accordance with your licence, there is nothing more for the company to go digging for, as you are not trying to gain anything from the claim yourself.

For you and all those wondering the holes in my policy are that the policy holder has moved out of the address recently the cars insured to. the new tenant know cars still insured there though. the policy holde does not own the car. it's in the name of my friend who i bought it off. the policy holder isnt in uk by birth as it says on the policy and the policy holder has not held their license for as long as it says on the policy. when i waw asked where the policy holder is i said hes not in the country for another 2 months at least. i wouldnt want to ruin policy holders life cause of my mistake.

So everyone here agrees i should accept liability?
Reply 15
You're asking the wrong question.

How do you think you're not going to be found at fault?

Trying to dispute liability for its own sakes wont make any difference to your position. I imagine one of the issues you have brought up that might make the policy void, will be immediately be ringing alarm bells with the insurance company anyway.
This happened to me. I just stopped driving until my insurance went back down.
Reply 17
Original post by Mr lova lova
For you and all those wondering the holes in my policy are that the policy holder has moved out of the address recently the cars insured to. the new tenant know cars still insured there though. the policy holde does not own the car. it's in the name of my friend who i bought it off. the policy holder isnt in uk by birth as it says on the policy and the policy holder has not held their license for as long as it says on the policy. when i waw asked where the policy holder is i said hes not in the country for another 2 months at least. i wouldnt want to ruin policy holders life cause of my mistake.

So everyone here agrees i should accept liability?
Your "friend" has a lot to answer for, but if you are simply a named driver on the policy and you genuinely didn't know what lies the policyholder told, you haven't done anything wrong yourself - other than causing the crash.

As for the crash itself, you would have a hard time denying it, so the safest thing to do is not to contest liability - tell your insurance company you will not contest - and wait for their next move. If anything is discovered about the untruths, it's your friend who will suffer the consequences and only has himself to blame. He may not be able to take out insurance for a while. As for you, it will noted on your insurance file that you have caused a crash and this will have to be declared on future policies you take out for a number of years - even though they will know about it anyway.
Reply 18
Original post by Advisor
Your "friend" has a lot to answer for, but if you are simply a named driver on the policy and you genuinely didn't know what lies the policyholder told, you haven't done anything wrong yourself - other than causing the crash.

As for the crash itself, you would have a hard time denying it, so the safest thing to do is not to contest liability - tell your insurance company you will not contest - and wait for their next move. If anything is discovered about the untruths, it's your friend who will suffer the consequences and only has himself to blame. He may not be able to take out insurance for a while. As for you, it will noted on your insurance file that you have caused a crash and this will have to be declared on future policies you take out for a number of years - even though they will know about it anyway.

Tbh my friend did me a favour by letting me use his details as (like i mentioned before) insurance is unaffordable for young people in my area due to all these claims. i litwrary had no choice because i needed a car for work. is there anyway i can get the insurance company to not check policy holders details so he doesnt get in trouble and i dont end up on huge debt before i start my career?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending