The Student Room Group

Stopping over the stop line on amber

So I was driving through a few sets of traffic lights and came to one which was on green but changed quickly to amber as I went over the stop line I drove slightly but knew I wouldn’t make it through the intersection before red so I stopped but was over the stop line at this point. I didn’t want to sit there with traffic about to be coming so I reversed back behind the stop line but at this point the light had turned red 😣 is this a fine and points coming my way 😩I’m not sure if there was a red light camera
Original post by Johndhe
So I was driving through a few sets of traffic lights and came to one which was on green but changed quickly to amber as I went over the stop line I drove slightly but knew I wouldn’t make it through the intersection before red so I stopped but was over the stop line at this point. I didn’t want to sit there with traffic about to be coming so I reversed back behind the stop line but at this point the light had turned red 😣 is this a fine and points coming my way 😩I’m not sure if there was a red light camera

The requirement isn't that you "make it through the intersection before red". The requirement is that you don't cross the white "stop line" at red. So assuming it was still amber when you crossed the line and entered the junction, you'd have been fine. (Technically, "You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident" - which sounds like us applies here.)

What you did is not correct, but won't result in a fine for having jumped red light - because you didn't.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The requirement isn't that you "make it through the intersection before red". The requirement is that you don't cross the white "stop line" at red. So assuming it was still amber when you crossed the line and entered the junction, you'd have been fine. (Technically, "You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident" - which sounds like us applies here.)

What you did is not correct, but won't result in a fine for having jumped red light - because you didn't.

What about reversing back over the stop line though when it was red?
Original post by Johndhe
What about reversing back over the stop line though when it was red?

You’ve still committed the offence at that point.

Regardless, nothing will happen if there was no camera. You can check on google streetview.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
You’ve still committed the offence at that point.

Regardless, nothing will happen if there was no camera. You can check on google streetview.

There was a camera behind but there was speed lines on the floor after the stop line so I don’t know if that was a red camera or a speed camera
Original post by Johndhe
There was a camera behind but there was speed lines on the floor after the stop line so I don’t know if that was a red camera or a speed camera

They’ll be a big camera sign on the approach to the lights.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
They’ll be a big camera sign on the approach to the lights.

No there wasn’t a sign
Reply 7
Original post by Johndhe

Hi, Do you got anything fine or points was this happening? Can you reply pleas
Reply 8
Original post by Johndhe

Hi, do you got any fine or ticket was this happening ?
I dont think u would get a fine or a ticket for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending