The Student Room Group

A-level choices hrlp

I'm thinking about taking English literature, history, psychology and government and politics. I'd probably drop psychology after the first year. Does this combination sound ok?
Will having both government & politics and psychology disadvantage me? I mean, do universities see these both as ''soft'' subjects or what?
What degree/career options would I have?
Thanks in advance

(Title was meant to say help, oops)
(edited 10 years ago)
Sounds like a good enough combination to me, as long as you don't mind having lots of essays as your work load may be quite full on!
I don't think politics is seen as a 'soft subject', especially if you're combining it with history and english. Psychology maybe more so, but this is not a disadvantage along with the other three.

You obviously have an interest in history and politics, so you could do a degree in either of these or combine them together. Alternatively, since you have a variety of subjects law may be an option if that appeals to you
Reply 2
Yes, that's a good combination. Politics and Psychology are fine as third and fourth subjects.

You could study pretty much anything except Maths, Science, Engineering, Economics / Finance -related degrees.

You could become a lawyer, teacher, politician or journalist, but obviously your career will depend on what kind of person you are. For all these careers, hard work and determination will be more important than your specific A-Level subject choices.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest