The Student Room Group

Do you care that you're under constant surveillance?

Poll

Do you care that you're under constant surveillance?

So now we know its no longer just the delusions of a few tin foil hat wearing loons do you care that we seem to be living under the Stasi mkII?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly, I don't really care that much.

And by the way, if I don't want someone to know about something, I won't talk about it on the phone/internet. :facepalm2:

Most of the time, the surveillance is being used for good things. They won't constantly check on one person if they know you're not up to anything or if you aren't suspicious.

I don't support it,
but let's face it: How does it affect your life unless you are a criminal? It's not like they constantly check on everything you do/say.
(edited 10 years ago)
It makes me uncomfortable on principle. I keep thinking of Orwell's 1984
No because as new revelations show this is a worldwide (France, Australia, Sweden, Canada etc) thing and it's pretty much the duty of all intelligence agencies to do some surveillance. I also don't see it as constant surveillance, the government don't have a file on everybody with their online habits and movements.
Reply 4
I have expressed some anti (american) government views online, and i can't help thinking my name is on some list somewhere now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
No because as new revelations show this is a worldwide (France, Australia, Sweden, Canada etc)

How does that make it ok?

I also don't see it as constant surveillance, the government don't have a file on everybody with their online habits and movements.

You got any evidence for that? :wink:
Reply 6
Unless it's phone sex, no.

JK, I don't stand for it, but if it helps decrease crime, it's essential...:s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Seb.

And by the way, if I don't want someone to know about something, I won't talk about it on the phone. :facepalm2:

Most of the time, the surveillance is being used for good things. They won't constantly check on one person if they know you're not up to anything or if you aren't suspicious.

I don't support it,
but let's face it: How does it affect your life unless you are a criminal? It's not like they constantly check on everything you do/say.

So you're pretty insignificant, but what about judges, politicians the press?
I can see an argument for it if GCHQ or the NSA or someone was secretly monitoring a terror suspect, but I don't see any reason for it if it comes to the point where armed police could come knocking down your door moments after you torrent a song, or something.
Original post by n00

It doesn't, it just normalizes it and makes me care less and think maybe there's a legitimate reason for it if most governments, even very liberal ones, are doing it.

The information we currently know doesn't support the claim of "constant surveillance". Maybe the government does have a file on everybody and maybe reptilian lizards do exist but generally you take the position of disbelief until evidence is presented.
Reply 10
Original post by n00
So you're pretty insignificant, but what about judges, politicians the press?

Well what about them? if they haven't done anything wrong they have nothing to worry about. And it will reduce corruption, bias, blackmail, etc.

Original post by n00

It doesn't, but there is a good reason for doing it. And it's not that bad as you say, actually. Would you rather be subject to more danger and not be under occasional surveillance or be in more safety and have someone listen to your calls every now and then?

And yes, there is evidence, provided by common sense: If they were to have a file about every single person of the 63 million in the UK, it would take them forever. Let alone the US with 314 million.
(edited 10 years ago)
It doesn't bother me; I have nothing to hide.

(Which, in answer to the negs, I think is a good enough justification for why I'm not bothered by surveillance. However, if the government used it as their sole justification, then I would have a problem)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Seb.

And by the way, if I don't want someone to know about something, I won't talk about it on the phone. :facepalm2:

I don't support it, but let's face it: How does it affect your life unless you are a criminal? It's not like they constantly check on everything you do/say.

That's fine as long as the people in control of it are not going to abuse their position of power.

The problem is that the definition of what's "criminal" can change, ranging from the obvious stuff which should remain criminal like paedophilia and terrorism to things which might be deemed less so like protest and so forth. The technology can be used to crack down on any of those things should the people in charge so wish, some of which is good, other parts less so. It's the potential to do great harm which is worrying.

Aside from this the police have shown time and again that they are clearly capable of corruption and improper use of this technology - just look a few weeks back to the case of them spying on the Lawrence family... you really think that (or worse) will never happen again?

To quote/paraphrase Ben Franklin, "those who give up a little liberty (in this case the freedom from invasion of privacy) to obtain a little security deserve neither and will lose both"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
It doesn't, it just normalizes it and makes me care less
Fair enough

and think maybe there's a legitimate reason for it if most governments, even very liberal ones, are doing it.

Maybe, maybe they've been blackmailed into it with NSA surveillance data, who knows. :unsure:

The information we currently know doesn't support the claim of "constant surveillance".

Does it not? Seems to to me.
Reply 14
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
That's fine as long as the people in control of it are not going to abuse their position of power.

The problem is that the definition of what's "criminal" can change, ranging from the obvious stuff which should remain criminal like paedophilia and terrorism to things which might be deemed less so like protest and so forth. The technology can be used to crack down on any of those things should the people in charge so wish, some of which is good, other parts less so. It's the potential to do great harm which is worrying.

Aside from this the police have shown time and again that they are clearly capable of corruption and improper use of this technology - just look a few weeks back to the case of them spying on the Lawrence family... you really think that (or worse) will never happen again?

To quote/paraphrase Ben Franklin, "those who give up a little liberty (in this case the freedom from invasion of privacy) to obtain a little security deserve neither and will lose both"

Fair enough, you have a point there. But the initial question of the OP was addressed to me, you, students on this forum. Do they care if they are under surveillance. That is what I was talking about, the regular citizen.

And again, if it's the people in charge that are the problem, maybe we should replace them instead of rejecting the technology.
Reply 15
Original post by Seb.
Well what about them? if they haven't done anything wrong they have nothing to worry about. And it will reduce corruption, bias, blackmail, etc.

How will it reduce corruption, bias, blackmail? Certain people will be able to know all their juicy secrets, seems ripe for blackmail and corruption to me.

Original post by Seb.

Would you rather be subject to more danger and not be under occasional surveillance or be in more safety and have someone listen to your calls every now and then?

I have no idea, i don't know what danger i'm at or what surveillance i'm under so can't possibly say. Bit of a problem don't you think?

Original post by Seb.
And yes, there is evidence, provided by common sense: If they were to have a file about every single person of the 63 million in the UK, it would take them forever. Let alone the US with 314 million.

A file? What do you suppose that would be? They have a fair bit of "metadata" on the majority, which is a far more powerfull tool than the Stasi had.
Original post by n00
Maybe, maybe they've been blackmailed into it with NSA surveillance data, who knows. :unsure:

That's just bull**** sentiment which tries to elevate responsibility from European governments and push it onto America. Why do you think GCHQ was created? Or DGSE? All these intelligence agencies have the same agenda as NSA. The US isn't forcing them to do ****, they're happily cooperating with each other because that's what allies do. Do you think those governments don't benefit from the data? We've had a agreement with US since the 1940s.

Does it not? Seems to to me.
That would depend on your definition of constant surveillance to me, considering the scope of it doesn't extend to all citizens then I don't really classify it as constant surveillance of everyone.
Not really, but I guess it would be a bit embarrassing if they caught you picking your nose or scratching your privates when you thought no one was watching.
Reply 18
That's just bull**** sentiment which tries to elevate responsibility from European governments and push it onto America. Why do you think GCHQ was created? Or DGSE? All these intelligence agencies have the same agenda as NSA. The US isn't forcing them to do ****, they're happily cooperating with each other because that's what allies do. Do you think those governments don't benefit from the data? We've had a agreement with US since the 1940s.

Sure, but its all secret, so theres no oversight, no way of knowing. But yes of course it benefits governments, they now have a very useful tool for keeping them in power.

That would depend on your definition of constant surveillance to me, considering the scope of it doesn't extend to all citizens then I don't really classify it as constant surveillance of everyone.

Just the majority.
Original post by TheHistoryStudent

you are absolutely right.

this gives the party in government too much power. This can end up in single party politics or a government with no real opposition.

the thing is that this surveillance can make protests (which is a legal right) difficult to organize, cuz the government will always see it as "a threat to national security".

If people keep ignoring such things (like they are now), the government may very well have complete control over everything very soon.

there should be much more transparency in everything. they keep hiding everything in the name of "national security" etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending