The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

IELTS requirements

Hello! I'm from Poland and this year I would like to start my studies at the University of Bristol. I've already met my Matura exam (equivalent A-levels) requirements and I got score much bigger that was required.

On Saturday I'm gonna take my IELTS exam and I'm a little bit worried about my score. University requires at least 7.0 overall and I don't find it impossible but certainly quite hard. What happens if I achieve for example 6.0 or 6.5 overall? The University will reject me or they aren't very strict about IELTS score? Maybe someone was in the past in similar situation and may tell me something about his experiences?
I think your best bet would be to contact Bristol and ask them. They're the only ones who will know for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
University may reject you for visa purposes if you're international but as you are EU student, I don't think they will really be strict about it. However, your chance of getting offer will be higher if you score higher...(duh) As "Coffeetime" suggested, you should contact University Admissions Office.
Reply 3
I dont want to bring any bad news but I am international student myself (from Slovak republic) and I had to resit my Ielts test because I didnt achieve the score requested by a university. I also applied for bristol which took my scores because they have been fine bt my first choice was imperial college and they required 7 from each section and i achieved above 8 from every section except for writing where I got 6.5 and they still didnt take it. They said resit or we will withdrawn your offer. Universities seems to be very strict on the English requirements. Sorry :frown:. If there is not enough students who filled their offer then they are more likely to take somebody with slightly lower academic achievements rather than lower english achievements :/
Reply 4
Original post by Salukia
I dont want to bring any bad news but I am international student myself (from Slovak republic) and I had to resit my Ielts test because I didnt achieve the score requested by a university. I also applied for bristol which took my scores because they have been fine bt my first choice was imperial college and they required 7 from each section and i achieved above 8 from every section except for writing where I got 6.5 and they still didnt take it. They said resit or we will withdrawn your offer. Universities seems to be very strict on the English requirements. Sorry :frown:. If there is not enough students who filled their offer then they are more likely to take somebody with slightly lower academic achievements rather than lower english achievements :/

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear here. I took my IELTS exam a week ago and I have mixed feelings. I guess I should achieve appropriate overall score but my writing can be estimated at for instance 5.5, while I need at least 6.0. In my case there wouldn't be also any possibility to resit my exam because it's already too late to do so.
Reply 5
Original post by ppaderski
This is exactly what I didn't want to hear here. I took my IELTS exam a week ago and I have mixed feelings. I guess I should achieve appropriate overall score but my writing can be estimated at for instance 5.5, while I need at least 6.0. In my case there wouldn't be also any possibility to resit my exam because it's already too late to do so.

Im sorry not to be able to bring good news but I thought thruth will be the best :biggrin: Yeah I was really worried waiting for my results and writing is the most difficult part for me plus it depends a lot on the marking person but You can make so many errors to get 6 it gets a tiny bit more strict on 7 but still alright its when You have to get 8 You should be worried. But from Your writing here I am sure Your English is beyond just acceptable what band 6 means and You will be more then fine. Lol I got my results just today n I was so happs :biggrin:
contact the University of Bristol. But I guess they are very strict with their requirements. Just be positive with your IELTS exam. Spend time, have confidence and dedication. You can ask assistance from reputable review centers in your area and don't forget to scan different IELTS exam resources you can find online. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending