The Student Room Group

Can I get into university?

Hi everyone. I'm currently studying in the international school, taking AP classes. I have to apply universities in UK by January. First of all, I got 6.0 of ielts and 5 points of AP Computer science A. (Is ielts test score that important?) Now I'm taking 4 AP classes related to economics and the scores will be released by July 2024.
Do you think these scores will be accepted by universities?
this is the list of universities I'm applying
- LSE
- Queen Mary university of London
- University of Sheffield
- UCL foundation year
- University of Westminster
The course is Economics, finance or accounting. If I am rejected I will apply for a foundation course at the University of Amsterdam.
Plus, my personal statement is quite good.
If you answer for me, I would genuinely appreciate it...
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
You need ti email each Uni and ask what the exact AP requirements are for the course you want to do.
Original post by Cherishka
Hi everyone. I'm currently studying in the international school, taking AP classes. I have to apply universities in UK by January. First of all, I got 6.0 of ielts and 5 points of AP Computer science A. (Is ielts test score that important?) Now I'm taking 4 AP classes related to economics and the scores will be released by July 2024.
- LSE
- UCL foundation year
The course is Economics, finance or accounting. If I am rejected I will apply for a foundation course at the University of Amsterdam.

Firstly Ielts is very important. You dont meet it you dont get in but you have until August to meet it. As far as AP is concerned you will need to meet whatever standard each university asks for. LSE is particularly strict especially for Economics and meeting the entry standard might not be enough. The others might be more flexible but only they can answer that.

Your courses are very Mathematical and the universities will probably require proof of a very good Mathematical standard. You need to check what the full entry requirements are for each university
IELTS is needed but not usually relevant for purposes of getting an offer.

Most unis accept AP’s but you need to look at their international application and course pages to see if your subject mix and expected grades are okay.

However, if you’ve got a backup plan elsewhere, it’s not especially risky.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly Ielts is very important. You dont meet it you dont get in but you have until August to meet it. As far as AP is concerned you will need to meet whatever standard each university asks for. LSE is particularly strict especially for Economics and meeting the entry standard might not be enough. The others might be more flexible but only they can answer that.

Your courses are very Mathematical and the universities will probably require proof of a very good Mathematical standard. You need to check what the full entry requirements are for each university

Thank you for your comment! Until August to meet it? You mean I can retake it in June or July and resubmit the score until August? Because I'm already planning to retake ielts soon.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
IELTS is needed but not usually relevant for purposes of getting an offer.

Most unis accept AP’s but you need to look at their international application and course pages to see if your subject mix and expected grades are okay.

However, if you’ve got a backup plan elsewhere, it’s not especially risky.

Thank you for your comment!! If IELTS is generally not relevant for admission, is there no need to retake the test in January before the application deadline?
Thank you for your comment! Until August to meet it? You mean I can retake it in June or July and resubmit the score until August? Because I'm already planning to retake ielts soon.

Yes you need to provide proof of English by I think 31 August but it might depend on the university. They all have different methods of showing your English is of appropriate standard. Here is an example of Exeter. Check for your university
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f2612420b8a88df1JmltdHM9MTcwNDg0NDgwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTIwNQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=exeter+proof+of+english&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZXhldGVyLmFjLnVrL3N0dWR5L2VuZ2xpc2hsYW5ndWFnZXJlcXVpcmVtZW50cy8&ntb=1
Thank you for your comment!! If IELTS is generally not relevant for admission, is there no need to retake the test in January before the application deadline?

For the vast majority of unis, yes, that’s correct.

If any did need a test along with your application it should be very clear on their website. But nearly all would give you until August to meet their English requirements.
- LSE
- UCL foundation year

nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending