The Student Room Group

Taking Ielts test with Uk settled status. Is it necessary for ucas application?

Hi all, so I’m planning to apply for an undergraduate course through UCAS for 2024.
I am italian, 29 years old and reached my highest level of education in Italy but lived in UK for the past 6 years, which means I have granted settled status and could apply not as an EU student but a british one.

I was told all along I needed to take an Ielts test to prove my English proficiency in order to study in the UK but today at a university open day the admission team said it’s not required as I have granted settlement status.
They seemed a bit uniformed about all my questions about how to fill in my ucas application with my overseas education achievements so I’m not entirely sure whether to trust the information or not.

Anyone in the same situation? Or has been in the same situation?

I am currently studying an access to HE course in the UK and it’s all in English obviously, would that in any way exempt me from taking Ielts?
My test is booked next week in 4 days time and I will happily cancel it if not necessary, it’s awful.

Please help!
Thank you!

Ah also, I’ve got level 2 functional skills in english and math as well, will that cover for the gcse’s requirements??
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Most Unis will want evidence of English Language ability - even for applicants raised/schooled in the UK, typically GCSE English If you dont have that, they will look for other evidence - previous qualifications in English, that you have done A levels in essay based subjects, etc etc. Or they may want you to take IELTS. Each Uni will treat this situation differently - so make sure you check with each one before you apply about exactly what they want / expect.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Most Unis will want evidence of English Language ability - even for applicants raised/schooled in the UK, typically GCSE English If you dont have that, they will look for other evidence - previous qualifications in English, that you have done A levels in essay based subjects, etc etc. Or they may want you to take IELTS. Each Uni will treat this situation differently - so make sure you check with each one before you apply about exactly what they want / expect.

Already on it! Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger

Apparently functional skills at level 2 cover for cgse’s (according to the admissions team I spoke to today) but knowing if it’s actually true or not is a different story.
If you are in any doubt I would take the test anyway just to keep all your options open.
It varies from uni to uni, the need to take IELTS or not. You can apply without having taken the IELTS though, at least according to my experience. When I applied for uni the first time as an EU national living in the UK, I had an offer for Newcastle and part of the conditions was that I sit the IELTS.
I suspect that the vast majority of universities would be satisfied with your Access diploma taught in English for a year.

I’d say cancel your booked test for now. Any universities that do require IELTS in your case will include it in your offer and you can book into a test in April/may/June if that’s the offer you prefer.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending