The Student Room Group

A level confusion

So I basically chose A-level Human Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Maths.
but recently I've been having doubts about my subjects especially psychology I'm not sure if its worth it. So I have a few questions

is philosophy anything like religious studies? (I loved RS)
i found physics at gcse level really easy how's A level physics like?
which do you think is considered 'softer' psychology or law? (I don't mind ether)
I have no idea what career or what to study after a levels can you recommend anything with my current a level choices?
Biology is far more better than Human Biology and is respected more highly by universities.
Physics A Level is HAAARD.
I'd say Law is a better option.
Reply 2
Just look at the syllabus of the subjects you're interested, speak to the teachers, and do those which look the most interesting to you. That's all which matters because you'll do best in the subjects you find most interesting.

A Levels are all a jump from their GCSE equivalents but none are "easy" they just vary in the type of learning you require to do well in the exams (A Levels are, unfortunately, largely a big test of passing exams and not understanding of subjects).
Reply 3
I'm not sure but a lot of my friends have enjoyed philosophy a-level
Hard but work hard and keep on track and you'll secure a good grade
Law is softer imo and less useful
Psychology, Biology (get rid of human biology asap please), Sociology, Maths and then other general degrees, though for maths your restricting yourself by not having further maths so I would only do it at uni if you have passion for it
Reply 4
Original post by Robbie242
I'm not sure but a lot of my friends have enjoyed philosophy a-level
Hard but work hard and keep on track and you'll secure a good grade
Law is softer imo and less useful
Psychology, Biology (get rid of human biology asap please), Sociology, Maths and then other general degrees, though for maths your restricting yourself by not having further maths so I would only do it at uni if you have passion for it

Thankyou for replying now I'm even more worried! I thought human biology was regarded the same as biology :O!
Reply 5
Original post by muffin_selight
Biology is far more better than Human Biology and is respected more highly by universities.
Physics A Level is HAAARD.
I'd say Law is a better option.

Thankyou for replying now I'm even more worried! I thought human biology was regarded the same as biology :O!
Reply 6
Original post by nicatre
Just look at the syllabus of the subjects you're interested, speak to the teachers, and do those which look the most interesting to you. That's all which matters because you'll do best in the subjects you find most interesting.

A Levels are all a jump from their GCSE equivalents but none are "easy" they just vary in the type of learning you require to do well in the exams (A Levels are, unfortunately, largely a big test of passing exams and not understanding of subjects).

I really do understand that no A levels are easy it's just some soft subject seem to be easier then other (from things I have read) I did look at the syllabus and units that will be covered that's why I chose human biology over biology :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Confused.sad

It's more specific but you'll learn a lot more about the human body/behaviour etc which is good if that's what you're interested in.

At this point though it'll make no difference regarding Uni applications which Biology you take as Bioscience degrees just ask for something Biology (+another science, usually) and other degrees just ask for X A Levels.

Do what you find interesting :smile:
If I were you I would listen to the above comments saying do Biology, not Human Biology

Maths is a good one, and quite important in my opinion no matter what you want to do SO KEEP IT

How are you at English Literature? That could be a nice substitute to Psychology?

A level Physics is hard, but isn't that the point? I hated GCSE maths because it was so easy and providing i didnt make a stupid mental maths error i would get everything right! I enjoy A level maths because it is getting harder (could be harder still but oh well) so the same should apply for physics? I would do it if you find it interesting (read the contents of a revision guide and see if you have interest to start reading. If you do, then Physics is right for you!

History is a more respected option than Sociology also. It depends on the route you want to go into.

And of course Languages are always good! They are respected subjects for uni and favoured by employers (you never know where your career will take you!)

So if you wanted to do a science or psychology at uni I would do Maths Physics Biology Language/Psychology (probably edge towards language tbh)

and if you wanted an art like History or Law or something I would do Maths Philosophy Language History/Eng Lit (i would do history coz im better at it and i prefer it, but they are both the same in terms of use tbh)

Hope it helps (this could be the longest post ive written :tongue:)
Reply 9
I really do understand that no A levels are easy it's just some soft subject seem to be easier then other (from things I have read) I did look at the syllabus and units that will be covered that's why I chose human biology over biology :frown:

People confuse "soft" for "less rigid and mathematical".

Just do what's interesting and don't worry/over-think it all :smile: nothing else matters (bar doing as well as possible of course :P )
Reply 10
Original post by Blake-inator
If I were you I would listen to the above comments saying do Biology, not Human Biology

Maths is a good one, and quite important in my opinion no matter what you want to do SO KEEP IT

How are you at English Literature? That could be a nice substitute to Psychology?

A level Physics is hard, but isn't that the point? I hated GCSE maths because it was so easy and providing i didnt make a stupid mental maths error i would get everything right! I enjoy A level maths because it is getting harder (could be harder still but oh well) so the same should apply for physics? I would do it if you find it interesting (read the contents of a revision guide and see if you have interest to start reading. If you do, then Physics is right for you!

History is a more respected option than Sociology also. It depends on the route you want to go into.

And of course Languages are always good! They are respected subjects for uni and favoured by employers (you never know where your career will take you!)

So if you wanted to do a science or psychology at uni I would do Maths Physics Biology Language/Psychology (probably edge towards language tbh)

and if you wanted an art like History or Law or something I would do Maths Philosophy Language History/Eng Lit (i would do history coz im better at it and i prefer it, but they are both the same in terms of use tbh)

Hope it helps (this could be the longest post ive written :tongue:)

Thankyou for replying!
I would love to do a language but my college doesn't offer it :frown:
i love history but the units seem a bit 'zzzzzz'
But after reading this I'm going to talk to my college and ask more details about history and biology. But if history still sound blah I would probably do Biology, Maths, psychology and sociology! If history sounds good ill replace sociology ! Thankyou
You should have been given information from your school about what each course is about etc.
Original post by nicatre
People confuse "soft" for "less rigid and mathematical".

Just do what's interesting and don't worry/over-think it all :smile: nothing else matters (bar doing as well as possible of course :P )

Doesn't particularly matter how it's defined (although English Literature, history etc are in no way mathematical but still considered hard) if you want to get into a top uni, you really have to consider your subject choice. The Russel Group as a whole as well as individual unis like Cambridge have expressly stated the disadvantages of taking more than 2 listed "soft" subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends on what you want to go into. I have chosen psychology, sociology, biology and history, and I want to go into psychology. I feel like these subjects are good for me personally even if psychology and sociology are 'soft' because they link well to what I'd like to do and I also have two 'harder' subjects thrown in there too. However if you're not really considering a future where sociology would be that helpful, I'd go for history as it is interesting and well respected. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by CheesePuffff
I think it depends on what you want to go into. I have chosen psychology, sociology, biology and history, and I want to go into psychology. I feel like these subjects are good for me personally even if psychology and sociology are 'soft' because they link well to what I'd like to do and I also have two 'harder' subjects thrown in there too. However if you're not really considering a future where sociology would be that helpful, I'd go for history as it is interesting and well respected. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really don't mind doing psychology and sociology together like you said 2 tradition and 2 soft to balance it out but I was considering human biology a traditional subject till now :frown: I really thort universities didn't see difference in biology and human biology :frown:
Reply 15
I really don't mind doing psychology and sociology together like you said 2 tradition and 2 soft to balance it out but I was considering human biology a traditional subject till now :frown: I really thort universities didn't see difference in biology and human biology :frown:

Well they do, and tbh biology is far more useful to every degree, so the odds are weighing in favour of biology a-level tbh
Reply 16
Maths, Bio, Psych, Soc is a good combination. Physics is also a very good A-Level to have, especially if you like it and find it easy. It will give you slightly more options later (e.g. almost all engineering degrees require physics and it's very favourably looked upon for other quantitative degrees). Id' probably do only one of Psychology/Sociology, but you have two traditional subjects either way so it doesn't really matter much.

Maths, Physics, Bio, Psych/Sociology
So I basically chose A-level Human Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Maths.

i found physics at gcse level really easy how's A level physics like?*
which do you think is considered 'softer' psychology or law? (I don't mind ether)**
I have no idea what career or what to study after a levels can you recommend anything with my current a level choices?***

*Completely different league, much harder than GCSE (from what i've heard) **I've never heard of law being considered soft. *** To be honest you could do quite a lot with those

Quick Reply

Latest