The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

I have heard mixed reviews about exeter, some medical students i know say that is not that good but it is ranked in the top 10 medical schools by the Telegraph .
What does everyone think is the thing that makes exeter medical school a very good medical school to go to?
Original post by medicdreamer
I have heard mixed reviews about exeter, some medical students i know say that is not that good but it is ranked in the top 10 medical schools by the Telegraph .
What does everyone think is the thing that makes exeter medical school a very good medical school to go to?

Don't look at league tables when choosing med schools. It's not revelant but do look at student satisfaction.
Reply 82
Original post by Will-2609
Hey guys, sat my UKCAT this morning and as a result of it I'm now reconsidering my choices (originally Newcastle, Nottingham, UEA, Sheffield). I got 9A* and 3A at GCSE, ABBB at AS, and have predicted A2 grades of A*AAA. I got 832.5 and SJT band 2 on my UKCAT. What are my chances like for Exeter?

Lol nice.....But you clearly know what your chances are like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by bad8oy

I don't really... I have no idea how they weight AS results (trying to avoid ones that use them heavily), and no idea how they weight UKCAT (trying to apply to ones that use it heavily). That's what I want to know really, probably should have worded it better. It's hard to find this stuff from the website, and I've never had good experiences trying to find information from universities via email, so I figure it's best to ask people on here who've either applied or are applying to the university. :smile:
Reply 84
I don't really... I have no idea how they weight AS results (trying to avoid ones that use them heavily), and no idea how they weight UKCAT (trying to apply to ones that use it heavily). That's what I want to know really, probably should have worded it better. It's hard to find this stuff from the website, and I've never had good experiences trying to find information from universities via email, so I figure it's best to ask people on here who've either applied or are applying to the university. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

If you apply to Newcastle and Hull York you have 100% chance of getting to interview.Also Glasgow,Southampton and Manchester I think, emphasise a lot on the UKCAT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85

If you have a UKCAT score of 800+ let alone 830+, please use your common sense and apply to your strengths i.e. UKCAT heavy universities like Southampton, Glasgow, Kings, Newcastle, Durham, Nottingham, Leicester...do your research. You would get an interview from probably all of them.
Reply 86
I really need some help guys. I'm looking to apply to medicine this year again. I just don't want to risk applying to the wrong universities again.

IGCSE- 5A* 1A (no i'm not an international student)
ukcat -657.5
A2- A*AAA

Do i stand a chance, realistically?
And if not what other medical schools would you suggest.
Original post by mutlibd1
Hi, fellow resitter here, your ukcat score is amazing. Btw, you have at least AAA...im sure your not a resit applicant, just a reapplicant. My stats are

Gcse- 4A* 7A.
As- AABB
Alevel- AAB- Resitting the B in Chem,

Ukcat-
Vr- 610
Qr-720
Ar-640
DA-840
what are your stats if you dont mind me asking

Good luck

Ah I have already resat my B into an A making one of the 3 A's! so yeah im a resitter too!

VR- 580
QR- 680
AR-900
DA-870

where else you thinking of applying?

good luck to you too!
Reply 88
yeh im thinking maybe some people have to do an extra As level perhaps if they dont offer their original As to a grade C or above. or maybe its in general studeis/critical thinking. But yeh im defo gna fone them tommorow.

Im most likely applying to exeter liverpool lancaster and plymouth. but need to tripple check plymouth. I never heard of this extra as level lark until about 3 days ago. so i dont know what to believe. I dont see why they would not of told me.

Anyway, where are you thinking of applying? what are your stats like
Reply 89
Original post by mutlibd1
yeh im thinking maybe some people have to do an extra As level perhaps if they dont offer their original As to a grade C or above. or maybe its in general studeis/critical thinking. But yeh im defo gna fone them tommorow.

Im most likely applying to exeter liverpool lancaster and plymouth. but need to tripple check plymouth. I never heard of this extra as level lark until about 3 days ago. so i dont know what to believe. I dont see why they would not of told me.

Anyway, where are you thinking of applying? what are your stats like

omg ima retard. The first paragraph was related to another thread, regarding plymouths resit policy!. i got the threads mixed up lol. sorrrryy
Reply 90
So does everybody above the cut off get invited for interview?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by MX123
So does everybody above the cut off get invited for interview?

Definitely not. There are many more people than interview places that are above the cut off. You have to meet all their other minimum criteria and even then, an interview is far from guaranteed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Definitely not. There are many more people than interview places that are above the cut off. You have to meet all their other minimum criteria and even then, an interview is far from guaranteed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it far from guarantee?

They just look at UKCAT and academic requirements right?
PS/reference is lightly scored.
Reply 93
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it doesn't really make sense then. I phoned earlier today and was told that a cut off was used, minimum academic requirements checked and the personal also statement checked (although she did say it wasn't an important factor).

If only minimum academic requirements are needed and the personal statement not being very important, surely just the UKCAT is left? :confused::confused:

Definitely not a clear admissions process..
Reply 94
Original post by NikoB
Why is it far from guarantee?

They just look at UKCAT and academic requirements right?
PS/reference is lightly scored.

That's what they said last year as well, but obviously they look at profiles a bit differently. A lot of people with similar profiles applied from TSR and some got interviews but the others didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Yeh I agree they interview above a certain cut off . Don't see how meeting the cut off would not basically mean an interview providing one meets the academic requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by MX123
Well it doesn't really make sense then. I phoned earlier today and was told that a cut off was used, minimum academic requirements checked and the personal also statement checked (although she did say it wasn't an important factor).

If only minimum academic requirements are needed and the personal statement not being very important, surely just the UKCAT is left? :confused::confused:

Definitely not a clear admissions process..

Yeah but no one knows exactly what type of personal statement they are looking for. If a lot more people than places are above the cut off, the personal statement might be a deciding factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by SuziieB
Yeah but no one knows exactly what type of personal statement they are looking for. If a lot more people than places are above the cut off, the personal statement might be a deciding factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I see what you mean
Reply 98
Original post by carcinoma
Well you meet the entry requirements and have a good UKCAT.

So assuming you meet the subsection scores in the UKCAT, you should have quite a good chance of getting an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter do not look at subsection scores. There is no minimum scores needed for each subsection - they only require a score of about 2500+ overall.
Reply 99
Original post by bad8oy

Posted from TSR Mobile

HAHA clearly just looking for compliments here....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending