The Student Room Group

Economics or Physics?

Hey everyone, apologies for another 'What to do at AS level thread' but really vacillating between physics and economics. I'm very interested in the 'astro' part of physics and wondered how much of this is encompassed in AS and A Level physics. Never studied economics but have read up on it and it seems like it would complement maths. Would like to go to somewhere like UCL or an Oxbridge so also want to take in to consideration which one is held in higher regard by Unis. My other options are History, Maths and English lit. Thanks a lot!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WB_97
Hey everyone, apologies for another 'What to do at AS level thread' but really vacillating between physics and economics. I'm very interested in the 'astro' part of physics and wondered how much of this is encompassed in AS and A Level physics. Never studied economics but have read up on it and it seems like it would complement maths. Would like to go to somewhere like UCL or an Oxbridge so also want to take in to consideration which one is held in higher regard by Unis. My other options are History, Maths and English lit. Thanks a lot!

What do you want to do at university?
Also there's hardly any maths in A2 or AS economics, so not 100% complementary but its a good essay subject, but as you got history and English it shouldn't be concern

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
What do you want to do at university?
Also there's hardly any maths in A2 or AS economics, so not 100% complementary but its a good essay subject, but as you got history and English it shouldn't be concern

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply and at Uni I'm hoping maths, or definitely something with an element of maths.
I like essay writing too..
Reply 3
Original post by WB_97
Thanks for the reply and at Uni I'm hoping maths, or definitely something with an element of maths.
I like essay writing too..

If you want to do maths you thought about further?

Also something mathsy 90% go with physics anyways, seeming there quite a lot of topics which also go well with a2 maths.

Even if you decide to do something like economics in the future, English and history will easily get you in mate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
If you want to do maths you thought about further?

Also something mathsy 90% go with physics anyways, seeming there quite a lot of topics which also go well with a2 maths.

Even if you decide to do something like economics in the future, English and history will easily get you in mate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just the response I was looking for, very useful, thanks a lot!
And further hadn't really considered, on for A* at GCSE but after looking a bit at Unis and things if you have good A Levels in the core subjects you could do maths without further?
If you're aiming Oxbridge/UCL etc... theres 1 question:

How strong is your GCSE maths?

If it's iffy = Choose Economics
If it's strong A* = Choose Phyiscs

Physics is a good challenge, AS is a bit tedious, A2 is more interesting.
Economics is an interesting subject, relatively easy to grasp, solid and respected subject.
Reply 6
I just looked Oxford requires A* in maths and fmaths.
However ucl and Bristol (just to gather a range) ask for A*AA with * in maths and an A in physics / Chem / economics / fmaths

Bristol does the interesting one where you can get an offer Of AAA + a in AS further maths if you want to try that route
So you were right :smile: but I guess further maths will just help with the transition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
If you're aiming Oxbridge/UCL etc... theres 1 question:

How strong is your GCSE maths?

If it's iffy = Choose Economics
If it's strong A* = Choose Phyiscs

Physics is a good challenge, AS is a bit tedious, A2 is more interesting.
Economics is an interesting subject, relatively easy to grasp, solid and respected subject.

Well, got 100% in unit 2 paper but that was with significant work, hoping for a strong A*.
In my GCSEs Science was my weaker point but I got A's in both my Physics exams
Reply 8
Original post by WB_97
Just the response I was looking for, very useful, thanks a lot!
And further hadn't really considered, on for A* at GCSE but after looking a bit at Unis and things if you have good A Levels in the core subjects you could do maths without further?

You could, but as far as I'm aware unis only don't make FM an outright requirement for maths because quite a few schools don't offer it. If you have the option and want to do maths/something mathsy, you should strongly consider taking it. Why limit your options? You could always take it on as a 5th and then drop something once you've figure out what you like most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by knope
You could, but as far as I'm aware unis only don't make FM an outright requirement for maths because quite a few schools don't offer it. If you have the option and want to do maths/something mathsy, you should strongly consider taking it. Why limit your options? You could always take it on as a 5th and then drop something once you've figure out what you like most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming you've done your A Levels? If so, can you take 5 then subsequently drop 2 after AS?
Having done A-level economics I can tell you that there is hardly any mathematics involved at A-level. Only if you get into university is where you would hit the mathematics content (Econometrics).
Economics is very well respected subject amongst universities and it's defiantly really enjoyable, especially the macro stuff.
Reply 11
Original post by dan94adibi
Having done A-level economics I can tell you that there is hardly any mathematics involved at A-level. Only if you get into university is where you would hit the mathematics content (Econometrics).
Economics is very well respected subject amongst universities and it's defiantly really enjoyable, especially the macro stuff.

I know interest rates are concerned with macroeconomics but other than that not too sure?
Would you say it's difficult? I've not really studied it before so is it something you either get or don't or does it interlink with any other subjects?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Which do you find more interesting?

They're both respected subjects, so maybe take the one you enjoy more and can get a better grade in?
Reply 13
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Which do you find more interesting?

They're both respected subjects, so maybe take the one you enjoy more and can get a better grade in?

Physics does fascinate me but I think I'd find it more challenging. Do you have any experience of studying economics?
Reply 14
Original post by WB_97
Physics does fascinate me but I think I'd find it more challenging. Do you have any experience of studying economics?

Combined with business studies, I have.
Reply 15
Combined with business studies, I have.

Find it challenging?
Reply 16
Original post by WB_97
Find it challenging?

The focus on economics was interesting. :smile: Not that challenging, but I also combined it with business theory so it's different for a solid economics course.
Reply 17
The focus on economics was interesting. :smile: Not that challenging, but I also combined it with business theory so it's different for a solid economics course.

ah, I think I'm leaning towards economics now in all honesty, thanks a lot for your contribution!:smile:
physics is simply the boss of all subjects, nothing else comes close.
Physicssssss.

I loved the astro parts of the course, and provided that you put in the time it's not too challenging (especially if you listen to awesome helpfulness in the relevant threads of TSR) :smile:

I've never studied economics, admittedly.

Physics is very mathsy, but not stuff that you won't have already come across; you don't NEED A-level maths to cope with A-level Physics. Personally, I think somebody who scored highly in maths GCSE is very well set for A-level Physics if their general science ability is good.

Good luck, whatever you choose. You have a great set of subjects either way.

Quick Reply

Latest