The Student Room Group

A Level Economics and Business

I am taking Maths, Economics, Business and Physics. I have to option to drop one of these. I definitely have to keep maths, and dropping physics means I will do Economics and Business as an A level, which ive heard is not good. Has anyone who has done Economics and Business as an A level please let me know what Universities accepted them?
Original post by OhNoStudent
I am taking Maths, Economics, Business and Physics. I have to option to drop one of these. I definitely have to keep maths, and dropping physics means I will do Economics and Business as an A level, which ive heard is not good. Has anyone who has done Economics and Business as an A level please let me know what Universities accepted them?

As far as I know, neither economics or business are required subjects, whereas physics is for physics and most engineering degrees.
Economics is the more academic subject, so if I want to drop a subject specifically for uni applications, it would be business. Also, business and economics are considered overlapping subjects (even though I would argue they're not), so if the uni is looking for well rounded applicants for their degree course then doing both of these subjects would put you in a less favourable position.
I can't specifically tell you which unis accept Economics or Business, but they often specify this on the entry requirements for their specific courses if they don't. Also, the main unis that don't accept both of these subjects tend to be for certain degrees at top end unis (do check though).

Having said that, there is nothing stopping you from doing business or economics as an extra A Level during a gap year, nor does it mean that you can read up on the subject as an A Level outside of college e,g, business is a good subject to read up on if you want to start your own business or know the basics of business.

Quick Reply

Latest