The Student Room Group

How Long Is Too Long? (3 year post-uni gap year)

I graduated in the summer of 2012 and have just finished my first gap year and spent it travelling and working abroad and in the UK. In my second year, I'll be teaching English in Italy, but my question is, how long is too long for gap years? I still want to apply for graduate jobs, so think I might still be OK. Plus I figure I'll always be working abroad and won't go travelling for longer than 3 months at a time, but part of me wants one more gap year afterwards...But I don't want to get to 24/25 without ever having had a 'proper' job.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
Far too long. Although employers appreciate experience and 'worldliness' they still expect you to apply soon after graduation, especially if your degree is to be used in respect to the job itself.
Reply 2
Original post by Caedus
Far too long. Although employers appreciate experience and 'worldliness' they still expect you to apply soon after graduation, especially if your degree is to be used in respect to the job itself.

Studied English, so I'd be all about the transferrable skills. I think I'm still OK with 2 years out and could just try and get a graduate job and eventually transfer with them abroad...
Reply 3
Graduate positions aren't easy to get into these days, I should say that it would be best you start looking for one immediately. If you fail to gain a place you could always arrange another adventure abroad.

Three years... This is starting to sound like one of the wprld's most legendary gap years.
Original post by La Esmerelda
Studied English, so I'd be all about the transferrable skills. I think I'm still OK with 2 years out and could just try and get a graduate job and eventually transfer with them abroad...

Don't mean to be mean, but seems like you're living in a bit of a dream world.
Reply 5
From the employees I've spoken to about it, most aren't even cool with a year out after uni. Most prefer if you've taken a gap year before you started uni.
Reply 6
3 years post uni, i ended up taking 3 years out to travel. Best thing i ever did, and in my situation, perhaps the optimal game-plan.

If it's right for you depends on your situation, skills, contacts and future plans. I guess that if charging headlong into a graduate scheme appealed, you'd have done it years ago, shaking and drooling excitably all the way into the office. You didn't. Factor that into your decision. It's not for everyone.
Reply 7
Original post by brabzzz
3 years post uni, i ended up taking 3 years out to travel. Best thing i ever did, and in my situation, perhaps the optimal game-plan.

If it's right for you depends on your situation, skills, contacts and future plans. I guess that if charging headlong into a graduate scheme appealed, you'd have done it years ago, shaking and drooling excitably all the way into the office. You didn't. Factor that into your decision. It's not for everyone.

Thank you for the enlightening response which is NOT based on fear-mongering or what society expects. Do you mind me asking what happened to you after the three years work-wise? Its just irritating because with some graduate schemes you have to apply a year in advance, halfway through this year I might know better about what I want...I could always apply for start-ups and other companies.
Reply 8
Original post by La Esmerelda
Thank you for the enlightening response which is NOT based on fear-mongering or what society expects. Do you mind me asking what happened to you after the three years work-wise? Its just irritating because with some graduate schemes you have to apply a year in advance, halfway through this year I might know better about what I want...I could always apply for start-ups and other companies.

I ended up working in travel (same role as Brendan from Coach Trip) which keeps me out of trouble for 6+ months a year and might just be the best job in the world. Finally found my niche and it seems i'm good at it - which is nice, as i love what i do.

No intentions to return to investment banking...or, well, an office or grad scheme or anything like that. It might be for some people, but i'm not one of them. When i do have to pop into London for a debrief and happen to be on the underground during rush hour, i love it. I'm grinning like a lunatic inside because i realise i'm not in the same situation as 90% of those who partake in the hamster-wheel daily grind routine.
Thought I'd add a bit myself:
I got a 2.ii, and I have just finished my second gap year - 1 year teaching English in Tokyo and 1 year doing a 6-month paid internship in Singapore (other 6 months I just pissed around!). I came back home in August and will start working at pwc in a few weeks.

My interviewer said he passed me because I did something useful in my gap years - I can speak fluent Japanese and I learnt many useful soft skills whilst doing my internship. He said this is the crux of it; you cannot just sit on a beach in Thailand for 2 years, but you need to show you have bettered yourself somehow.

Take a second gap year if you want to, but make sure you have opportunities to learn new things you can talk about later in interviews!

Quick Reply

Latest